SASS Wire Forum

OT/Last Chance To See The Space Shuttle Discovery Fly

Cypress Sun

The Space Shuttle Discovery is set to launch at 4:50pm EST today if all goes well. This will be the 2nd to last launch for the shuttle program. It should be visible to any one in Florida within 150 - 200 mile radius of the Cape.

Just thought I'd let ya'll know.

Here's a cool link about the Discovery:

Discovery

The remaining orbiters are Atlantis and Endeavor, with Challenger and Columbia having been destroyed. The 6th shuttle Enterprise, was their non-powered prototype used for glide tests. I think that's at the Smithsonian.

Seems I read somewhere there may be one more flight after this one? Or is it an orbiter that will be held in reserve for awhile for contingencies?

Hey Slim,

That link brought back a lot of great memories. I worked at the Downey and Palmdale plants and was intimately involved with it's design and assembly. I was in charge of building the Aft Fuselage of all the shuttles. A wonderful piece of engineering and skilled manufacturing. Too bad there are ending the progam way early. This hardware still has a lot of useful life left. Budget constraints are the only reason for the programs termination. Our former program President is pushing for NASA to lease the hardware to a civilian run program and continue the Shuttles life of support for the Space Station and other orbital work. I worked on the Apollo right out of college and spent 40 in the aerospace industry...a great, exciting career :wub:

Archived