SASS Wire Forum

Most states you've been to in one day

Grizzly Dave

Two questions,

what's the most states you've been in during one day?

Followup, most at one time?

- Five states in one day for me, coming home from taking Daughter Grizz to college - Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, and Kansas.

- Four, at four corners, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, and Utah.

The thread over on the wire about how many states you've shot in got me on the subject.

Grizz

Five - three times.

FL, AL, MS, LA, TX

TX, LA, MS, AR, MO

FL, GA, SC, NC, VA

All trips solo. The worst was from Corpus Christi, TX to San Diego, CA and then the return. Both directions stopped only for gas, carried food/snacks/drinks with me.

Two questions,

what's the most states you've been in during one day?

Followup, most at one time?

- Five states in one day for me, coming home from taking Daughter Grizz to college - Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, and Kansas.

- Four, at four corners, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, and Utah.

The thread over on the wire about how many states you've shot in got me on the subject.

Grizz

My record is 7. Florida to Pennsylvania in 24 hours with a co-driver. FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, MD, PA

At the 4 corners monument you can be in 4 states at the same time though.

That trumps everything else. :lol:

Had this bicycle ride once that was 7 states in a day. Started in Kittery, ME, went down the New Hampshire coast cut across Massachusetts to enter Rhode Island near the Connecticut border, cut across that corner of Connecticut, back northwestward across Massachusetts toward Mt Adams and on into Vermont and New York, so, ahh, yeah, the answers is 7, but they are all little itty bitty states.

Driving, NH, MA, CT, NY, NJ, DE, VA, NC, that'd be 8.

Then there was the time I drove to Colorado in a day and a half, so the first 24 hours would have been, NH, MA, CT, NY, PA, OH, IN, IL, MO. That's 9.

Then there was another day I drove around the clock, I started in Texas and I was still in Texas at the end of the day.:rolleyes:

After visiting relatives in VA,

We drove west from KY and didn't stop till Topeka, KS in one day :huh:

Hadda 1980 F-100 with 300ci straight-6 and 2 gas tanks :)

Ain't them the berries, Hal. :)

6 once,

Ohio, West Virginia, Kentucky, Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina.

5 a few times,

Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama

Texas, Lousiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida- Multiple trips

Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio

4 several times,

Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio- Multiple trips

Longest nonstop trip in a car,

1.050 miles from Plainview, Texas to Pensacola, Fl.

Longest nonstop trip on a motorcycle,

1,165 miles. Had breakfast in Anniston, Al. Rode to Jacksonville, Fl and had lunch with my niece and her kids, then to Pensacola, Fl for supper, and back to Anniston before breakfast next morning.

To join the Iron Butt Association you have to ride at least 1,000 miles documented with reciepts in less than 24 hrs, so I just had to do it.

I've been in 8 states, all in the same hour.

They were the states of Confusion, Consternation, Disappointment, Frustration, Denial, Resignation, Acceptance, and Texas. (I try to stay away from Anger!!) Does that count?

SOso

I've been in 8 states, all in the same hour.

They were the states of Confusion, Consternation, Disappointment, Frustration, Denial, Resignation, Acceptance, and Texas. (I try to stay away from Anger!!) Does that count?

SOso

I been to most of them too Sheriff Oso, :blush: but the driving thing, one time drove a box truck from Florida back to Kansas and thru 7 states....Fl.,Al.,Ms.,La.,Tx.,Ok.,Ks., 1700 miles in 24hrs. 1st and last time.

3 states,

State of California to state of Azrizona to state of confusion. :blink:

I started Wenesday morning in Sacramento, had to be in San Diego by noon. Left San Diego at 10:00pm, had to be in Flaggstaff Az by 8:00am.

Woke up somwhere in Az, not knowing where I was I started to panic. Had to find a phone book to figure out what sate I was in and what county and what city. Pretty scary there for a minute.

California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee. Two men driving straight through, stopping only for gas and fast food,(which is niether fast nor food). Twenty-three plus hours. Slept for three days afterward.

New Hampshire, Massachutsets, Connetecticut, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, Tennessee. Me and Hatfield coming back from Nor'Easter last year. Nineteen hours.

Folks'll tell you I drive too fast. :rolleyes: 'Course everybody is entitled to their opinion. :lol::lol:

Ain't them the berries, Hal. :)

Badger, That was a great truck. 4th gear was over-drive and got 25 mpg.

Before they switched to diesels, UPS used those Ford 300-6cyl motors in all their brown trucks,

The ex-wife and I did a non-stop (except for gas) trip from Clovis, NM to Mechanicsburg, PA the Christmas of 1977 and back again 4 days later. 2 drivers alternating.

NM, TX, OK, AR, TN, VA, WV, MD, PA in just under 24 hours. If my count is right that's 9 States.

By the time we got back our son was potty trained cause we stopped about every 3 hours. Gas, bathroom and grab some food.

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

Howdy Griz, mine is 7 from South Dakota to NY so it was Iowa, Ill,Indiana, Ohio,Penn,New Jersey and New York and back again

ENG :FlagAm:

Lets see... in my truckin' days....

TN, AR, OK, TX, NM, AZ, CA.

Most I've been to at one time...

48 states..stoppin just fer fuel !!;)

When my sister in AZ's son was killed on a freeway I was in WI. I drove with my sister from WI day and night to get there non stop. I think it took about 26 hours, pretty much non stop, but it could have been a bit longer. WE both took turns at the wheel, and stopped for gas and bathrooms and ate in the car.. but we were not hungry on a trip like that so we snacked as we drove mostly.. so, WI,IA, KS,OK, TX, NM, and then AZ in just a bit past a day. About 1650 miles I guess and we do drive pretty fast. Maybe it was 28, it was a long time ago. But it was one heck of a trip in my little Ford PU back then. I can tell you most of it was a blurr. Neither of us slept much we were afraid the other might fall asleep. I drank more caffine than I can count, and did some roadside stops in the night that were not so safe I suppose. But me made it in time to help out with all the people coming to see her at her home in AZ. All we really remembered was the shower and bed at the end of the day once we arrived.. lol

And I did stand at Four corners a few times now in my life too.. lol I love that area.

Drove to Florida a few years bac went through Ohio, Kentucky, Tenneessee, Georgia then Fla.

Drove to California in 1982 but can't remember how many states in one day. We took our time and stopped alot. I think we once drove through Ohio, Kentucky, Tenneessee, then took Rt. 40 west to wherever, I think we stopped in Arkansas for our first motel.

If all the states were the same size, this would be a piece of cake. I drove from St Paul, MN to Bozeman, MT (25 hours) and then from there home to Warshington the next day (ten hours) A lot of miles but only a total of six states in two days.

Drove from Warshington to the Ambush Shoot in Alabama a couple years back. Same deal, not many states, but a lot of miles. Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Nebraska, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennesee, Arkansas and Alabama. Took four days. Didn't do the reverse on the home run, but four days and a lot of real estate.

3 states,

State of California to state of Azrizona to state of confusion. :blink:

I started Wenesday morning in Sacramento, had to be in San Diego by noon. Left San Diego at 10:00pm, had to be in Flaggstaff Az by 8:00am.

Woke up somwhere in Az, not knowing where I was I started to panic. Had to find a phone book to figure out what sate I was in and what county and what city. Pretty scary there for a minute.

Was that in the 60's?

6 is the most for me. Drive down to FL from MD. So, MD, VA, NC, SC, GA, and FL.

Though I once did a straight through drive that took something like 40 hours. That one went: MD, PA, OH, IN, IL, IA, NE, and WY.

Another time, I drove cross country. It took 3 days. That one went: MD, PA, OH, IN, IL, IA, NE, WY, UT, NE, CA.

Do I get to count DC as a "state?"

If so, seven: VA, DC, MD, WV, PA, OH, IN. That was a long drive! The next day I went from IN, to IL, to IA and stopped at my mom's house. The day after that I went from IA to NE, to CO and home!

If I don't get to count DC as a state, then it's "6 plus DC."

Virginia, Maryland, Wahington, DC (yeah, I know - not a state), Maryland, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois. That makes eight if you count DC, seven otherwise. Driving from Norfolk, VA to the University of Illinois in Champaign/Urbana to spend the weekend with my brother.

Most at one time? Two, numerous times while straddling state lines.

Let's see: 7, I guess.

Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Utah, Arizona, Nevada, California.

I had a frozen elk in the back of the truck. I also got two speeding tickets.

Four Corners, of course.

I seem to hit 7 states in one day several times per year, but 8 is my record and I've only done that a couple of times. 1300 miles seems to be my daily maximum!

1. Maryland

2. Washington, DC

3. Virginia

4. North Carolina

5. South Carolina

6. Georgia

7. Florida

1. Maryland

2. West Virginia

3. Virginia

4. Tennessee

5. Alabama

6. Georgia

7. Florida

1. Maryland

2. Delaware

3. Pennsylvania

4. New Jersey

5. New York

6. Connecticut

7. Massachesetts

8. Vermont

Dogmeat (Long Haul) Dad

Worst trip was on the ice in 2003. Far West Texas, West Texas, Central West Texas, Central Texas, East Central Texas, East Texas and Arkansas. More states than I ever want to travel again.

Glare ice on I-20. All I could do to keep the PU in the road and 18 wheelers blasting past at 80 mph. the only thing was that we frequently passed these same 18 wheelers laying on their sides. Never have been able to figure out why they thought they were bullet proof.

Hi Grizz,

Hubby is not much of a traveler... My parents were; but, I don't remember... We did go from CA to FL to IL one year. We also went CA, OR, WA, BC another year. However, I don't remember where we stopped.

In recent memory, when I came home from EOT, we went through the following in one day:

NM

AZ

CA

I would not attempt that alone.

Not very impressive.

Living out West where the states are large, you can't get through as many in one day and I don't like to drive more than seven hours in a day.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Archived