SASS Wire Forum

Shooting Bowling Pins

Carolina Cowboy

Good Morning All

My club is going to offer a Cowboy class for both Bowling Pins and Falling Plates this year.Should be fun. It will allow shooters to shoot single action against single action....we will be only shooting against other shooters with single actions....will start with 5 rounds loaded and maximum of 20 seconds to complete each table(with lowest time shooting all pins off table the winner), we will be able to reload if necessary (that is assuming we can do so in that 20 second time frame :ph34r: )....since speed and accuracy will be emphasized, my question is will my cowboy loads be enough to knock the Bowling Pins off the table? I shoot 200 gram lead with the middle recommended load of Trail Boss behind it....has anyone shot bowling pins and falling plates with their cowboy guns, and if so did you have to load a little hotter to make it work?

Thanks in advance for any information

The only advice I can offer is DO NOT shoot the bowling pins with a shotgun.....PERIOD!

you can get so much splatter back that you can see the pellets comin at cha.

..........Widder

Good Morning All

My club is going to offer a Cowboy class for both Bowling Pins and Falling Plates this year.Should be fun. It will allow shooters to shoot single action against single action....we will be only shooting against other shooters with single actions....will start with 5 rounds loaded and maximum of 20 seconds to complete each table(with lowest time shooting all pins off table the winner), we will be able to reload if necessary (that is assuming we can do so in that 20 second time frame :ph34r: )....since speed and accuracy will be emphasized, my question is will my cowboy loads be enough to knock the Bowling Pins off the table? I shoot 200 gram lead with the middle recommended load of Trail Boss behind it....has anyone shot bowling pins and falling plates with their cowboy guns, and if so did you have to load a little hotter to make it work?

Thanks in advance for any information

The last time I shot bowling pins was with my 45acp 1911, I used my practical pistol load of 4 gr of bullseye and a 200 gr lead bullet. Worked just fine. Hit them high so they fly off the table. No points if they're still lying on the table and they're harder to hit again then. Sounds like fun. My current favorite pistol is a S&W #3 shortened to 5 1/2". The previous owner used it as a bowling pin gun.

The only advice I can offer is DO NOT shoot the bowling pins with a shotgun.....PERIOD!

..........Widder

Thanks Widder

You would think a shotgun would Launch those pins into space,LOL.......but they had tried that in the past on the OLD pins, they got same result as you :lol:

you must be a big dude. I shoot 200 grain bullets out of my single action. My wrist couldn't handle 200 gram bullets. Let see if 1 Gram = 15.4323584 Grains 200 grams must equal about 3086.4716 grains. That is one heavy bullet. What are you shooting? ^_^:rolleyes:

you must be a big dude. I shoot 200 grain bullets out of my single action. My wrist couldn't handle 200 gram bullets. Let see if 1 Gram = 15.4323584 Grains 200 grams must equal about 3086.4716 grains. That is one heavy bullet. What are you shooting? ^_^:rolleyes:

OK,OK, 200 grain :P ......am a big dude, but not that big :lol: ........spell check was not working I guess :blink:

I have never shot bowling pins, but have shot the falling plates, I use the 200 grain RNFP with no problems with my cowboy loads, same load with pistols as rifle, we have a falling plate rack that we sometimes use in our shoots, have shot the falling plates at other clubs as well with the same loads.

All for now JD Trampas

Sure you can shoot bowling pins with cowboy guns. If you want to win such contest you will need big, heavy and hot loads. Otherwise you end up with all/most of the pins on the table.

The .45 will rule with manageable loads and center mass hits will carry the pins off every time. Anything else will spin and/or wobble the pin or just knock it over.

Give a lot of thought to the table size if you want folks to have fun.

Olen (who shot at truck loads of wood) B)

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

The loads we shoot (200 gr @ 900FPS) will work well.

I have seen some CAS loads soo light, that bullets have come back at ya.

Oh, by the way, NEVER-EVER-EVER-EVER shoot a bowling BALL!!.Don't ask me why I know.

MG

We had a stage with bowling pins once but couldn't complete it as the pins were shooting back. We were getting so much lead back off the pins (from our revolvers) that we suspended the stage. Don't think we'll be shooting pins again.

At a match many years ago, they had set bowling pins out as part of the stage to be shot with pistols. Some of the bullets came back to the shooter and anyone standing nearby (TO, spotters) at just about the same size/velocity as they left the barrel with. There were no injuries but some went home with welts. It was just luck that no one got hit in the face or other exposed part of the body. I won't shot bowling pins with "cowboy loads" because of that experience, just not worth having to dig lead out my face or arms.

Just my .02 cents.

I have a chance to try this myself. Can anyone steer me to some .357 lead bullets heavier than 158 grains? Would 158 grainers work with an upper end load of Trail Boss in 38 specials?

Thanks,

Mosey West

Last time I shot a bowling pin, I knocked it over, then shot it again. Bullet hit the teflon (or whatever it is) bottom of the pin, came straight back. It hit my dad right in the gut, he was about 3 feet beside of me and pin was about 20 yards. He doubled over and thought he was hurt bad. LUCKILY, it didn't penetrate his shirt and just left a NASTY bruise below the belly button. He still has the bullet and reminds me of the day I shot him.

Have fun with the match, personally I will never shoot a bowling pin again unless it were with a high powered rifle and at least 100 yards away.

I shoot bowling pins all the time with both .45 Colt and .38spl. Both do good and both end up embedded inside the bowling pin. Maybe I was lucky but I shoot them all the time and have never had a problem with bullets coming back.

Oh, by the way, NEVER-EVER-EVER-EVER shoot a bowling BALL!!.Don't ask me why I know.

MG

You can shoot a bowling ball......out of a cannon. :lol:

I have shot bowling pins with my cowboy loads, 45LC with 250 gr bullet and light loads. Back when I was shooting a lot, one of the indoor ranges I practiced at had a group that shot bowling pins and after watching a few weeks I decided to give it a try. It was a lot of fun and while I never won, I did get to the point where I could place in the top 5. The secret is that you need to clear the pin off the table with one shot. Once it falls over and stays on the table it is almost impossible to get off (they just like to sit and spin instead of moving). I would load six rounds for 5 pins which gave me a chance to compete against the autos. It is a lot of fun so have a good time.

Having seen some of the very light loads some folks shoot, I would not want to be near the line when a cas club is shooting pins.

....since speed and accuracy will be emphasized, my question is will my cowboy loads be enough to knock the Bowling Pins off the table?

The easiest thing to do is a 9 pin run (or 6 or 7 or 8). At Second Chance this was the stage for the 9mm and 38 crowd. The pins were set at the very back of the table and a pretty good hit would carry them off. Less emphasis on power and most cowboy loads will work. You still need good hits at speed! Most of the events were best of X runs).

Some clubs had an event for the SA revolvers called "Crank and Yank" which was a 5 pin event but was limited to 6 shots only (best run of 3 usually).

Shotgun is a standard 5 pin match with the best of X runs. Everybody uses #6 or smaller and shoots till all the pins are off the table. This one is hard on tables and pins so you need lots of spares!

If you are having lots of splash back you are to damned close! Minimum distance is 25 feet (8+ yards) and lots of clubs used 10 yards or more.

Olen

MG

Have got to ask what made you try that to begin with :lol: .......but I will take your word on that one :D .......and thanks for the replys guys, will have to load a couple hundred rounds at the high end of the chart and give it a try with 230 GRAIN bullets :P ......it should be fun, and another way to practice with our cowboy guns as well.....but will have to keep an eye on splash back.....we are shooting at 21 feet I think....

The easiest thing to do is a 9 pin run (or 6 or 7 or 8). At Second Chance this was the stage for the 9mm and 38 crowd.

Olen

For those of you who might not know, Second Chance (correct me if I'm wrong here, Olen) was the world championship of bowling pin shooting when bowling pin shooting was "the" shooting game. Since a pard of mine was the world champion OSS pin shoooter in 1988, I gave him a call and asked what he thought of shooting pins with cowboy loads.

Here is what he had to say:

He recommended very hot loads. When he was doing it, the pins were at the front of a 4' table. I've seen the gun he used when he won the championship (1911 .45 ACP) and it looks like something out of a movie. He shot a 200 grain Speer hollow point pushed with Unique at close to 1000 FPS. He said the sport was all about controlling very hot loads, quickly, with precise accuracy.

We've outlawed shooting bowling Pins at Both of the clubs that I attend. The bounceback from shooting them with cowboy loads is just not safe. the do not cause the bullet to splatter, and simply bounce them back with a direct hit, or some other direct if you hit on the radius. It is not a good idea.

Snakebite

For those of you who might not know, Second Chance (correct me if I'm wrong here, Olen) was the world championship of bowling pin shooting when bowling pin shooting was "the" shooting game. Since a pard of mine was the world champion OSS pin shoooter in 1988, I gave him a call and asked what he thought of shooting pins with cowboy loads.

He recommended very hot loads. When he was doing it, the pins were at the front of a 4' table. I've seen the gun he used when he won the championship (1911 .45 ACP) and it looks like something out of a movie. He shot a 200 grain Speer hollow point pushed with Unique at close to 1000 FPS. He said the sport was all about controlling very hot loads, quickly, with precise accuracy.

Thanks Buck

I had another pard PM me with about the same advice, use semiwad cutters or hollow points, 230 to 250 with a full load of trail Boss......will make some up and try them out.......thanks a bunch

We've outlawed shooting bowling Pins at Both of the clubs that I attend. The bounceback from shooting them with cowboy loads is just not safe. the do not cause the bullet to splatter, and simply bounce them back with a direct hit, or some other direct if you hit on the radius. It is not a good idea.

Snakebite

I understand the concerns, but they have been shooting pins for quite a few years with centerfire guns with no problems so far, but I did not condsider going to a different bullet to shoot them instead of my normal RNFP lead.....was wanting to use my 45's along with my 45 semi, seemed like a fun thing to do......you guys have put some things into my head I need to think about.......most do shoot semiwad cutters or hollow points for pins with some Full jackets, so will try a couple different loads and see if I can get something to work that is safe

I just won the bowling shoot at our club in the SA pistol class

Did not use the loads I normally use for cowboy shoots.

Tried once and was laughed at.

I shoot light loads.

I shot the bowling pin with .357 with a .158 grain bullet and the min load for Tight Group.

They let us use two pistols and didnt need to reload.

Good Luck to you!

For the above reasons--We have NOTshot pins at our SASS matches.

The last time someone offered us pins to shoot, we took them for a TRGC unofficial pin match. And we only used hotter-than-CAS loads and CF rifles. And we shot them from a fair distance from the pin table (NO "RETURN" FIRE).

But the main reason was that them pins worked real well in the shop's air tight wood furnace once they were all split up. :blush: Hard maple!!!!

Mustang Gregg

We have run pins as a side match at the Maine states for yhe last 2 years. Safty glasses are a MUST!!! Many light loads will bounce back. Some will come right straight back at the shooter. However - Pins are fun J-r

..........Widder

+1

As ya can see, ya want enough velocity tpo penetrate the hard pins and their thick plastic hide. about 800 fps is a good minimum, and 900 is better if the bullets ain't that heavy. I've shot em with a .380 and the bullets penetrated well, but the inertia of the round was not enough to take em off the deck. A 200 grain .45 at warm velocities will work well and not be over the top on recoil.

As ya can see, ya want enough velocity tpo penetrate the hard pins and their thick plastic hide. about 800 fps is a good minimum, and 900 is better if the bullets ain't that heavy. I've shot em with a .380 and the bullets penetrated well, but the inertia of the round was not enough to take em off the deck. A 200 grain .45 at warm velocities will work well and not be over the top on recoil.

Hi AJ

I am loading some 230 at max on IMR chart for Trail Boss, should work.....the cowboy specials have been working out real well in my pistols by the way :D

Buck,

Your friend is describing a "Main Match gun" for the 5 Pin event. (I still have one, a weighted, compensated Jim Clark barreled Colt with iron sights.) He was shooting in "Ordinary Standard Shooter" that year but the next year he was a "Master Blaster". It was later that the high caps came into play in the 9 pin event as the game evolved.

I think that to make if fun for cowboy shooters (as opposed to frustrating) placing the pins at or near the rear of the table is the only way to go. Shot gun targets should be three feet from the rear of the table. In both cases the shooters need to be at least 25 feet from the pins.

I didn't make it to Second Chance but shot lots-o-pins around the countryside. I'll bet that there are still lots of setups out there that precisely replicated the SC layout.

Olen

I actually shot Second Chance the last year Rich had it with my CAS guns(at least the 5 pin main match category) I was THAT into cowboy. Anyway, it depends on the setup your club is going to use. If they follow "traditional" pin rules and setup, you are going to want heavy bullets (200gr is a good compromise) and push them to the 900fps range. If they use a different setup(pins near the back of the table) you can get by with a little less, but I wouldn't lower it by much. As everyone above has said, pins are unbelievable tough. Pins is a good match for those wanting more "accuracy" oriented speed shooting, you "wing" a pin and they'll sit on that table, spinning and laughing at you!

As an aside, the shotgun main match event at SC was 8 pins and most everyone used double or triple ought, buckshot loads in one of the "reduced recoil" tactical varieties. Rich used "experienced" pins and the wood would fly!! :wub: As I recall the pump actually held the record for 8 pins by a tenth or two over the autos, about 2 seconds.

Unfortunately Rich ran into legal problems (not match related) and the match (largely funded by him and his business) never recovered. It was like some fun!! Think End of Trail with REAL prizes; shooting for a week, partying, multiple hog roasts, fireworks, full auto fun, camping, constant mc'ing by Rich, real prizes, a "propane blast" and money galore. Yeah, I miss it. :blush:

Archived