SASS Wire Forum

A Top Shot Rant

Blue Steel Duke

While catching up on my DVR shows I caught episode 3 of Top Shot, and while I had missed the first episode where the shooters and their credentials were discussed, I was shocked to see that Jay was a Golf Pro with barely a years shooting experience. I also discovered that he's failed to hit a single target in the first two episodes, so I'm really puzzled how he was chosen over the thousands of experienced shooters (our SASS Pards in particular)? :wacko:

BSD

While catching up on my DVR shows I caught episode 3 of Top Shot, and while I had missed the first episode where the shooters and their credentials were discussed, I was shocked to see that Jay was a Golf Pro with barely a years shooting experience. I also discovered that he's failed to hit a single target in the first two episodes, so I'm really puzzled how he was chosen over the thousands of experienced shooters (our SASS Pards in particular)? :wacko:

BSD

It's a tv show, first and foremost. They chose a cast that would draw an audience. But, the golf pro with less than a year firearms experience eliminated an Army and Homeland Security trained firearms instructor in a shoot off.

It's a tv show, first and foremost. They chose a cast that would draw an audience. But, the golf pro with less than a year firearms experience eliminated an Army and Homeland Security trained firearms instructor in a shoot off.

I did see that, he really went haywire in the initial challenge.

BSD

Besides being a golf pro, he evidently qualified for the Olympic trials in archery, and also shoots Olympic air pistol at a high level. Since the show does a number of different events, such as archery and knife throwing, he may have a chance.

It ain't the years in the saddle; it is how well you sit that saddle.

"Sit tall in the saddle, Hold your head up high

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky

And live like you ain't afraid to die

And don't be scared, just enjoy your ride"

Since it's a TV show, it's about the drama between the personalities - not the shooting. That should tell you something right there.

Doc hit it on the head, it's all about the drama and conflict... just like all the other reality TV shows and why I won't go out of my way to watch it. If I happen to stumble over it flipping channels I might watch for a bit, but that's about it.

Guess I am with Doc and Grizz on this one. I saw one segment and I was less than impressed.

The drama level was high but I just was not impressed with the shooting. Just call me difficult.

I would like to see them require the double action pistols to be shot double action at anything less than 35 yards.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life
A Golf Pro? Really?

Heck... don't see nothin' wrong with it...

I was hopin' somebody like Efren "The Magician" Reyes or even Phil "The Power" Taylor would make the cut.

ts

The golf pro was one of the two top shots at the first challenge.

Russ

One of the other shooters in episode 3 said that Jay had not "Hit a single target in 2 challenges"......is this not true?

BSD

So? You can't have other hobbies? He obviously shoots well enough to make the cut. What else matters?

Joe,

I don't mind his hobby or profession, but when the others are listing backgrounds in SASS, USPSA, IDPA, Marine & Air Force snipers, local and Federal Law Enforcement, as credentials for competing on the show, a Golf Pro does seem a bit odd. :rolleyes:

BSD

One of the other shooters in episode 3 said that Jay had not "Hit a single target in 2 challenges"......is this not true?

BSD

He didn't do well in the pool ball team match, or the double action revolver segment. His was one of the two closest rounds fired with the Sharps.

Air Force Sniper???

Is it just me or.......

Yep... almost as feared as the U.S. Chamber of Commerce snipers.

ts

I'm a little confused about the Navy Rescue Swimmer too.

Most of their training time doesn't really involve firearms work.

I'm a little confused about the Navy Rescue Swimmer too.

Most of their training time doesn't really involve firearms work.

Shheess... they got to be experts at spear-guns... don't they?

See?

ts

Shheess... they got to be experts at spear-guns... don't they?

See?

ts

Nope. SEALS do. ;)

Nope. SEALS do. ;)

What if a shark was to take a swimmer hostage... and hide behind him? Huh?

(Nevermind... just bein' silly. However... those SEAL fellas are supermen in my book... extraordinary stamina, endurance, pain tolerance, and utmost duty. Robert E. Lee once said that "duty" was the most sublime word in the English lanquage.)

ts

Joe,

I don't mind his hobby or profession, but when the others are listing backgrounds in SASS, USPSA, IDPA, Marine & Air Force snipers, local and Federal Law Enforcement, as credentials for competing on the show, a Golf Pro does seem a bit odd. :rolleyes:

BSD

Well, he also has this:

* Competes in local and national archery and air pistol events, placing within top 10%

* Qualified in 2004 Olympic Trials for archery

* Olympic and American skeet training by medalist Kim Rhode

* Shoots Olympic air rifles, air pistols, freestyle hand thrown clays, handguns, and blow guns; also throws knives

so he has experience with projectile weapons.

And, heck, golf pro may be better qualification than:

Occupation: Environmental Business Project Manager (who had 14 years on the US shooting team, but was eliminated in the first week)

I don't have a problem with him being a golf pro at all. But, the problem I have with him is his "little man syndrome" obnoxious arrogant attitude. Call me silly, but I don't like folks who act like a jerk. :rolleyes:

I don't have a problem with him being a golf pro at all. But, the problem I have with him is his "little man syndrome" obnoxious arrogant attitude. Call me silly, but I don't like folks who act like a jerk. :rolleyes:

Darn it! And I thought everyone liked me! :lol:

Chicks prespective here.

. it is about guns, targets, and shooting.. lol.. whats to not like? lol... I saw one episode and I loved it so far.. I like the guns, the patterns, the stages and the click bang as Megs would say.. lol..

Can you imagine the entire crew being made up of cowboy shooters? We come from all walks of life; weve got young to old who do or have done everything under the sun and most of us have shot a bunch of different disciplines before or during our CAS obsession. Many of us probably have an AR, 1911, Colt new service, triple lock S&W, 10-22, Sharps, muzzle loader, air gun, compound bow, tomahawk,blowgun etc in our inventory.

The conflict factor would drop through the floor, they'd probably have to remarket it as a comedy shooting show and put a disclaimer on it to make sure you dont try this at home. We'd have chuckwagon cook offs, poker nights, campfires, clandestine cigar smoking sessions out behind the big house and the sounds of spurs in the background audio. Terror in Tiny Town, Tombstone and ElDorado would be on TV 24/7. Logos on hats would be nowhere in sight while sneakers would be swapped for moccassins and of course someone would walk around in their union suit with the flap unbuttoned making video blurring a must. The only "bleeping" you'd hear is when someone spilled their bourbon or found their cowboy hat full of shaving cream. The producers would go apesh*t and threaten everyone with being fired if they didnt get mean. The response would require more bleeping and we'd all go back to heckling whoever was shooting or relating how they met their spouse.

FWIW I'd really like to see Glock give Terror the time off to go on the show.

Can you imagine the entire crew being made up of cowboy shooters?

I can see it now, heated discussions on which is better, Colt or Ruger, how ugly the Henry is, RO's smoking, and some fool carrying his SA as a CCW! :lol: You may have season 3 in the bag Pony!

BSD

Just my opinion!!!

Seeing Cowboys is not on anymore...I thought I would watch Top Shot last night.

Really, voting by shooting at the named target??? What a waste of air time! Just call out your vote then move on to some real shooting.

It just happened that last night was that Jay vs Jermaine episode.

I cannot believe that Jermaine, with all his qualifications flipped out...Not once but twice....Not sure I would want him on my team under real life circumstances.

I still respect him over the golf pro's attitude however.

Now as for Eric:

Glad to see him on there.

Two quotes from Eric Anderson: "God didn't make men equal. Smith and Wesson did." "I'm here with the big dogs… and I'm off the leash."

Bring back the Cowboys!!!!!!

KK

Yeah...great draw...Greying Old Farts With Guns! :lol:

"Run up that hill??? Yer crazy! We can hit those just fine from down here."

G.O.F.W.G...

I like that...Has a nice ring to it!!

KK

I don't care if he's a cross-dresser. I just want to see targets go down!!

And in the elimination shootoff I think Ms. Lee illustrated very well the value of aimed fire vs spray and pray.

Two quotes from Eric Anderson: "God didn't make men equal. Smith and Wesson did." "I'm here with the big dogs… and I'm off the leash."

Hmmmmm <_<

I don't care if he's a cross-dresser. I just want to see targets go down!!

Top Drag?

Drag Shot?

Shooting Queen? (Do a remake of the ABBA song for that one...)

Archived