SASS Wire Forum

Uberti/Pedersoli Lightning & Centennial

Badlands Beady

I'm shopping for a Lightning (45LC, octagonal barrel, CH frame, 26" or 24" barrel). There was some discussion a few weeks back, and I've seen comments in other places, about how Pedersolis are the best, but a friend who knows guns recently told me there's no appreciable difference other than the name stamped on the barrel. From what I can see, the other appreciable difference is that Pedersoli can run $200 - $400 more than the Uberti. So, is there much of a difference?

I'm also looking at 45-75 1876 Centennials (octagon, 24" CH), and the same general questions apply.

I know to stay away from Chapparal.

Your friend is mistaken here.

Uberti and Pedersoli are entirely different companies. They do not share manufacturing facilities.

Uberti is imported by various gun shops (Navy Arms, Taylor, Cimarron, etc...) That may be where the confusion lay.

I've owned and handled both the Uberti Lightning and the Pedersoli Lightning. They are VERY different rifles. The higher quality of the Pedersoli is very apparent to even the untrained eye (i.e. my wife). In general term, just about any firearm Pedersoli produces is a higher grade of refinement and finish than most other Italian replicas.

The Pedersoli's are more expensive for a reason.

Pancho

edit: One more thing: The Pedersoli Lightning works. The Uberti didn't.

Your friend is mistaken here.

Uberti and Pedersoli are entirely different companies. They do not share manufacturing facilities.

Uberti is imported by various gun shops (Navy Arms, Taylor, Cimarron, etc...) That may be where the confusion lay.

I've owned and handled both the Uberti Lightning and the Pedersoli Lightning. They are VERY different rifles. The higher quality of the Pedersoli is very apparent to even the untrained eye (i.e. my wife). In general term, just about any firearm Pedersoli produces is a higher grade of refinement and finish than most other Italian replicas.

The Pedersoli's are more expensive for a reason.

Pancho

edit: One more thing: The Pedersoli Lightning works. The Uberti didn't.

Thanks! When my friend says something like that, it generally pays to stop what you're doing and check it out.

Thanks! When my friend says something like that, it generally pays to stop what you're doing and check it out.

Here's proof of the Pedersoli in action:

I believe the Pedersoli makes their rifle so it can't be slammed fired. I agree the fit and finish is better than most if not all others, but if you want to hold the trigger and pump till empty better check it out first. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Howdy BB

I just bought a Pedersoli lightning in 44/40 and tried it out for the first time last weekend, I put a hundred rounds thru it without a hickup. I was told it had a 427 bore but it did'nt do well with 428 bullets when I switched to 430's the groups tightened up considerably.

I also have a AWA in 44/40 that has performed perfectly since Elrod did his magic to it.

Comparing the two rifles the Pedersoli had the edge on fit and finish, The AWA is a lot smoother than the Pedersoli but the Pedersoli hasen't had a couple thousend rounds thru it yet. The AWA seems easier to load but then again I've loaded it a lot and the Pedersoli not much yet.

I used the slam fire on the AWA when I first got it just to try it out but haven't used it since, I think it would have to be a really large dump target for me to even try it.

I like the hammer over ride on the Pedersoli it's nice to be able to unload it with out touching the trigger.

The reason I bought the Pedersoli is the AWA is a 24" round barrel version to me it's butt heavy and I like long barreled rifles with some weight forward, The Pedersoli is a 26" octogon barrel model which so far seems to be a good fit for me, So far the Pedersoli has been perfect, I'm really looking forward to putting a bunch of rounds thru it, I haven't used it in a match yet but I'm looking forward to it.

Willy B'

Archived