SASS Wire Forum

Desert Storm Living History Group launching on the 20th anniversary

Captain Lee Bishop

On February 24, 1991, Allied forces moved into Iraq and Kuwait, starting the ground war of Desert Storm.

To that end, I have formed a living history group dedicated to the veterans of this war. We'll be displaying the vehicles, uniforms, weapons and equipment of America's quickest (and perhaps most decisive) mechanized campaign.

There are only three of us right now but are looking to gather a few more. The current plan is for events in 2011 only. If it goes over very well, we might continue.

More to come on our site: http://desertstorm20th.webs.com/index.htm

Photos there will show some of what we have, more to come soon!

It is hard to believe it has been 20 years since Major General Barry R. McCaffrey came to our CASH and asked us to take care of his troops. It is hard to describe the feelings as we were poised to follow the 24th ID into Iraq. :mellow:

20 years ago - wow! On that day, we were beginning our first rehearsal for the play 'Billy Budd'...alot of fear (uncertainty) alot of us had that day.

God bless the veterans...and those families of those lost.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Re-enact this eh! Canadian troops and a jeep. :lol:
Yeah, I’ve seen that a few times before. I own a 1944 Willys Jeep and have talked about this video with other Jeep owners. We can’t quite figure out how they made some components modular for use, such as brake and oil lines, fuel connections, and the like. There’s no way you could safely dive it away like that, as at the least the brakes would be ridiculously spongy.

But as for the Desert Storm stuff, there are many events that are “timeline” oriented where you see groups representing various times in history. The biggest of its type in these parts will be Armed Forces Day at Joint Base Lewis-McChord (formerly known as simply Fort Lewis). Last year there were people representing the Revolution up to the Vietnam time period. I found a few sites showing the last year’s event, one had some decent photos here.

• 2 months later...

We did our first public display at Joint Base Lewis/McChord’s Armed Forces Day event on Saturday, which went over very well. We were able to get several vehicles from that era for a background for our display. Five people showed in uniform, but only three had the gear and weapons. One guy had a modular tent from the 80s, which became our HQ for the day. Here are a few photos:

Our original tent and some of the vehicles

Myself and Ed with an Iraqi Type 59 tank

All of the armed members of the group

Archived