SASS Wire Forum

Taylor Rifles

Grumpy Joe

Have the two rifles on the top of the page (link below) had action jobs/short stroke kits? I'm new to CAS and want to get my rifle purchase right the first time. http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/products/cf1873Winchester.tpl Any recommendations on any other rifles on that page? Thanks

If you are referring to the Trapper model with 18 in. barrel, Nope they are not. If you want a 73 with action job and short stroke, get the Commanchero, it's race ready and good to go out of the box. It is available from Taylor's

Buying direct from Taylor's they'll be bone stock. No short stroke, no action work, etc.

What you want in a match ready rifle is to buy the gun of your choice from Cody Conagher. His Codymatic is arguably the best in all of SASS

Go here to buy from Cody, you won't be sorry: Cowboy Shop

Buying direct from Taylor's they'll be bone stock. No short stroke, no action work, etc.

What you want in a match ready rifle is to buy the gun of your choice from Cody Conagher. His Codymatic is arguably the best in all of SASS

I know from Cody that he has a relationship with Taylors. I think the 1873 Comanchero Rifle is the product of that relationship. The Comanchero is both tuned and short stroked.

Obsolete methodology.

Fanantical following here on the WIRE.

Race Ready?

Go Here

Cody's rifle has worked well for me. It's cheaper in the long run to buy race ready and save all the shpping and transfer fees....

You may want to give Taylor's a call to ask them about the 1873 Comanchero Rifle as well as those shown in your link.

To me, the "hint" is that those in your link say "designed by". I think it is the configuration but not an actual tuned rifle.

The prices on Taylor's web site are full retail and you may be able to get a better deal through a local dealer.

And to be sure, check at your local match what folks are using to see some options.

There are several folks selling already tuned rifles that are quite good.

Howdy Grumpy Joe. The "designed by" note does not mean it's tuned. Cody gets his rifles from Taylor's, so if you buy one of his Codymatics, it's a Taylor's rifle. I bought one and love it. If you want a tuned rifle, I recommend you buy it direct from whoever is doing the action job. It's usually cheaper in the long run and saves the hassle of you have to buy a rifle and ship it yourself. Note: I'm talking about new rifles in this case.

Cody is one of several excellent people who do this stuff. Some charge more than others and everyone has their special technique. But like buying a car, there are subjective factors that may influence your choice. Everybody has an opinion on the best, I happened to choose a Codymatic. Every time I shoot it is a thrill.

Here are a couple of links in addition to Phantom's link :

Cody Conagher

Longhunter

Good Luck!

Guest Copper Mart

For what it's worth.... I stopped by the Taylor booth at Winter Range and handled their version of a tuned '73. Yep, they're tuned, short stroked and handsome. I've not handled any of the other 73s (other than my own which is modestly slicked up) so I can't speak to how they compare. I liked what I saw and felt and they are most definitely smoother and quicker than stock. How they shoot I don't know.

Mart...

Some folks like Fords, some like Chevys. Run whatever you like best. :)

I agree...to a degree.

Just want folks to understand that there are options. Education is key...not listening to the Wire for all one's knowledge is wise.

Phantom

:FlagAm:

Archived