SASS Wire Forum

Calling All Pistol Historians....

Chickahominy Charlie

The title says it all.

Did Colt ever make the 1851 Navy in .44 caliber? I've researched this pretty extensively, but can find nothing that indicates that they ever did....they were all in .36, but I'd like the benefit of someone else's knowledge.

Yer help is much appreciated.... :)

Chick

Hi Charlie,

I am alway leary of flat out saying NEVER when it comes to old guns. But, I will say, in my 30 years of gun related work I have never seen one.

I did once own an Italian replica brass frame 51 in 44. It was supposed to be a copy of the Confederate Griswold but those were even 36 not 44 so the copy wasn't correct.

Hi Charlie,

I am alway leary of flat out saying NEVER when it comes to old guns. But, I will say, in my 30 years of gun related work I have never seen one.

I did once own an Italian replica brass frame 51 in 44. It was supposed to be a copy of the Confederate Griswold but those were even 36 not 44 so the copy wasn't correct.

I suspected so, Nate, but you know how ya always kinda want sumbuddy else to agree with ya? :rolleyes: 'Preciate the response.

Howdy

No.

The 1851 Navy Colt, both the Hartford and the London versions were only made in 36 caliber. Same with the 1861 Navy, also only made in 36 caliber.

There is always confusion on this subject because of the many modern replica guns made in 44 cal. I too have a brass framed Uberti 'Navy' made in 44 caliber that I bought in 1968. Sometimes we see some sort of justification saying that these are replicas of Confederate produced revolvers, although in fact they follow the 1851 Navy pattern perfectly, except for a rebated cylinder in 44 cal and a notched frame to accept the rebated cylinder.

But the original Colt Navy model of 1851 was only made in 36 caliber.

The reason it was called the Navy model was because of the naval battle scene roll engraved on the cylinder, not because of any Navy contract.

The Confederate copies of Colts (and others) were all .36 caliber as well. The only large caliber Confederate revolver that I'm aware of was the LeMat, which was chambered in .42 caliber (for the 9-shot cylinder) and .60 caliber (20 ga.) for the shotgun barrel. A very few LeMats had .36 caliber cylinders and a .50 caliber shotgun barrel. All of the LeMats used by the Confederacy were percussion (some pinfire models emerged after the war was over). Source: NRA Gun Collectors Guide.

I call the .44 caliber Navy revolvers "Italian Navy" revolvers. Happy trails, Squint

NO!

Simple answer....NOPE!!!!. .36 cal only on original Colt guns. I bought a .44 cal 1851 Colt copy in 1971 at Two Guys Dept. store for under $50. I now have 2 '51 navies in .44 and 2 1860 Armys in .44. I like the balance of the guns better than the .36 cal guns.

Big Jake

I have read in several places that Navy was an accepted term for the smaller .36 caliber revolver, and the Army term related to the .44 caliber. I suspect that came from the Navy's use of a revolver as a weapon used for close quarters and as a symbol of rank. The Army revolver would be used for longer distances and possibly to take down a horse or other large animal.

This would also align with the Navy's use of a 6mm rifle (Remington-Lee) in the 1880-1890 period when than army was still using the .45-70 and .30-40.

I have read in several places that Navy was an accepted term for the smaller .36 caliber revolver, and the Army term related to the .44 caliber. I suspect that came from the Navy's use of a revolver as a weapon used for close quarters and as a symbol of rank. The Army revolver would be used for longer distances and possibly to take down a horse or other large animal.

This would also align with the Navy's use of a 6mm rifle (Remington-Lee) in the 1880-1890 period when than army was still using the .45-70 and .30-40.

Howdy Again

The Colt 1851 revolver was called the Navy model because there was a naval battle scene between the navies of Texas and Mexico roll engraved on the cylinder. By 1860 Colt had brought out a new 44 caliber model. It became known as the Army model because it was the primary revolver used by the Union army in the War Between the States. The Winchester-Lee straight pull rifle was first produced in 1896. Only about 15,000 sold to the Navy. Sales continued to be lackluster and the model was finally completely discontinued in 1916.

Howdy ;

There was one other big bore revolver made in the south . That was the Dance Bros. Dragoon made in Tx .

Paso tom

The Tucker and Sherrard was also made in Texas in .44

http://www.civilwarpreservations.com/newmus81.html

Howdy Again

The Colt 1851 revolver was called the Navy model because there was a naval battle scene between the navies of Texas and Mexico roll engraved on the cylinder. By 1860 Colt had brought out a new 44 caliber model. It became known as the Army model because it was the primary revolver used by the Union army in the War Between the States. The Winchester-Lee straight pull rifle was first produced in 1896. Only about 15,000 sold to the Navy. Sales continued to be lackluster and the model was finally completely discontinued in 1916.

Oiginal names for the '51 Navy were "Colt's Belt Pistol of Navy Caliber" and "Model of 1851 Navy pistol". When the "New Model Belt Pistol of Navy caliber" (1861 Navy) came out, the 1851 became the "Old Model Belt Pistol of Navy Caliber". The 1860 Army was called the "New Model Holster Pistol of Army Caliber" with the 'Dragoons' being the old models. Designation back in the day was due to how the pistol was carried and the caliber, not the cylinder scene. '51 Navies and '60 Armies both have the same naval battle cylinder scene. Names that we use today were devised by collectors and historians early last century.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Colt did make an experimental 51 Navy in 40 caliber, but it was never produced for sale.

Archived