SASS Wire Forum

Att'n prairre dog hunters

Are any of you able to use a range finder on PD's ? I've found them to be too small to pick up with mine, and there are no trees ect. to use to range them. My range finder is a few years old, and I wondered if the newer ones worked for this.

Thanks

Doc

You have PD problems in Wisconsin? :lol: I'd place some painted stakes or colored marker paint out in the shooting area that I have measured with my range finder. When the critters pop up near that marker I'd know the distance. Most range finders will not pick up small targets unless they're really close and then you don't need a range finder anyhow. Use to do the same thing with colored ribbons when we hunted deer with a bow. Just how far out are you planning on shooting PD's? Make sure you take video and share with others.

LL'

I'd put out sticks, but I can't talk my buddy into walking out that far. I can get a " under 200 yd, or over 200 yd ) range with my scope. Got a couple at 500, most at 2-300. Just looking for a excuse to buy a new range finder if I thought it's pick up the small critters.

Thanks

I am an avid varmint hunter..mainly coyotes, but also groundhogs/prairie dogs/whatever....( i hunt pheasant each year in S Dakota, and bring an AR with scope and silencer as they have the best groundhog hunting ever!)

I use a Nikon M-223 Bullet drop compensating 3x12x42 scope with Nikoplex Rapid Turret and duplex reticle system on a Stag Arms AR 15 with a Gemtech Halo silencer and I have found that ranging on small critters that keep hopping around is futile..so i either range in on the closest fixed object that will give me an accurate 'ballpark' range or just guestimate, set my scopes BDC turret to the approximate range and hold dead on...works well enough for me, but it's the scope that does most of the work.

On my Bushmaster 7.62x39 with a Leupold 6x18 scope, also has BDC, but a little more challenging on small critters than the .223 set up due to the much larger caliber, but i don't use the 7.62 for varmints smaller than a coyote.Very accurate cartridge.

Tip for prairie dog or varmint hunters of burrowing critters..get yourself a Suppressor!...really makes a difference if varmint hunting.If they can't hear it, they don't scatter and go to ground like they do if they hear the report of a rifle shot.When they see their groundhog pal keel over dead, the critters don't seem to care, but if they hear the shot, they go everywhere.

Good Luck!

back in the olden days

before range finders

I had me a 22-250 that was dialed in for 250 yards on a nats behind

I would shoot it at the unsuspecting prayrrie critters

if the hit was high / over em

then they were less than 250 yards

if the hit was low / short

then they waz farther than 250 yards

it worked purty gud

We see every top end rangefinder come through here during our military and LE long range training programs. The Leica units are good as are the Newcon. However there is only ONE that would work for what you want. VECTRONIX. The unit used by nearly every black ops government sniper unit in the free world. The difference between them and all the others in amazing. Bring money !!!

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

The best one I've ever used is a borrowed Leica that's about 15 yrs old now). I occasionally use it for sniper training at the GTS range. I have found that it really won't zero right on a 'dog, even if on a tripod.

Range sticks/flags pretty work well in an unknown distance dogtown.

MG

Archived