SASS Wire Forum

Tumbling brass, brass polish?

Grizzly Dave

Other than get your brass a little shinier, does adding the brass polish to tumbling media serve any other purpose?

Does it shorten the usable life of the media?

I use carbide dies and don't use case lube, and was wondering if using the brass polish would act a little like a case lube, or have any other impact on the reloading process. I use a Rock Chucker and RCBS Carbide cowboy dies if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Grizz

Howdy Grizz, I've never tried brass polish, but I do put a squirt of car polish in my Lizard Litter (walnut) media. It doesn't shorten the life of the media that I can tell. Beyond polishing the brass, it doesn't have any other purpose. Stained/tarnished brass loads and shoots the same as shiny. The brass just needs to be clean and smooth so it doesn't scratch your dies. It doesn't leave any residue on the brass that affects anything. I've found that after a few cleaning cycles, the amount of dust raised when dumping the brass is much reduced, and I like that.

I spray a VERY light amount of One Shot case lube on a pile of brass and let dry a minute or two before loading. It isn't necessary with carbide dies, but it does make sizing go a bit smoother.

Good luck!

Howdy Grizz -

I've also been using lizard litter in my tumbler. Before doing my last batch of brass, I added a big squirt of the Flitz Media Re-Activator ... which I suspect was just repackaged car polish. At any rate, it accomplished two things - cut way down on the dust, and cut the polishing time by more than half over using untreated media. And my brass came out real shiny too.

I also use carbide dies, and always give my brass a squirt of the Hornady One-Shot case lube. They just glide in & out of the dies, and it makes working the handle a lot easier. It's probably extending the life of the dies and the linkage arms of the press.

D S is right putting a little turtle wax chrome polish in will help with the dust level, does not lubricate the brass . If you want to use lube on your pistol brass put it into a plastic bag and spray a little of hornady one shot in and shake, will do a pretty good job and not be messy.

D S is right putting a little turtle wax chrome polish in will help with the dust level, does not lubricate the brass . If you want to use lube on your pistol brass put it into a plastic bag and spray a little of hornady one shot in and shake, will do a pretty good job and not be messy.

Any reason not to do the same with rifle brass?

Any reason not to do the same with rifle brass?

Nope.

There were a couple of threads recently that had a plethora of information on this subject:

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=163788&st=0&p=2107906&hl=flitz&fromsearch=1entry2107906

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=164544&st=0&p=2118523&hl=flitz&fromsearch=1entry2118523

Olen

Howdy Grizz -

Because of the length and the force necessary to run the brass into the dies, giving a squirt of lube to rifle brass is a must. Especially on the sizing/decapping die - I've had some 45-70 that was so stubborn I really had to lean on the actuator lever to get it to go.

I use the Dillon polish when I clean brass and it seems to work better than a few other things I've tried.As for case lube....use it for rifle or any necked down brass unless you have carbide dies.I shoot 38/357 and 44-40.38's don't need it,but the only carbide dies for 44-40 are commercial made ones at about $2000 a set.I can buy a LOT of case lube for 2 grand.I use 1 shot to resize,de-prime and re-prime.Then I run all of it through the brass cleaner again to get rid of it.Don't need it for the belling,powdering, seat and crimp stages.Didn't clean it once and by the time I had run about 100 through the seat and crimp stage,it had built up enough "sludge" in the die that I was getting REAL deep seatings.Had to take the die out and clean the junk out and re-set the die before I could go at it again.Learned after that to reclean the brass after the 1st stage.

Other than get your brass a little shinier, does adding the brass polish to tumbling media serve any other purpose?...

Yes. The practice makes you a little bit more poorer.

To me a clean case is easier to run through your dies and here is something to think about. A dirty case that is run through a carbide die will have that dirt embedded into the case as the carbide is harder than dirt or brass. A clean case will chamber faster and easier than a dirty one. If I see some shooter with dirty brass that tells me that his gear is in the same shape. My grandmother told me that you did not have to enter a person's home to see if they were clean. If the outside is in a state of disarray then the inside will be the same.After a while you are bound to have primer pocket build up and have a high primer. The add to polish just shines the brass to higher state of clean which I do. I will say this right now and probably have a bunch of naysayers but that does not matter. I loaded my first ammo in 1969 with the Lee hammer style kit. I shoot 44-40 Starline cases for the most part. Brass cases for my USFA and nickle for my 73. I don't use any type of lube to load those 44-40 rounds even though it is said you must. I use very clean cases on a Dillon 550B with RCBS Cowboy Dies. I use a Redding Profile Die to crimp the bullet.

Archived