SASS Wire Forum

SKS

Barterin Bill

I've owned a couple of SKS'. I owned the first one for a couple of years and never fired it. Since I never shot it, I decided to get rid of it for something I would use more. A few years past and I found a deal on another one. I brought it home and fired a few mags through it and loved it. It was a blast to shoot (especially bump firing). I replaced the little person stock with a nylon Monte Carlo style stock, added a reciever cover with a see through scope mount, a short 4X scope and a firing pin with a spring return. That turned it into a pretty nice shooter. It makes a pretty good brush gun. I haven't taken it hunting yet, but would trust it out to 150 yds on anything up to the size of the Whitetail around here. I bought some 30 rnd mags, but they are not the easiest to change. With a little practice the stripper clips are really faster if you are going to fire more than 30. I don't think they get the respect they deserve. They need a couple mods to make them good shooters, but don't we modify everything we buy.

Someone mentioned SKS on another thread, so I though I'd kind of take a poll to see what others think about them.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently traded a long barreled Polytech for a model D that takes AK mags. The older Polytech, I had fitted with the Monte Carlo stock and a large scope. It used the duck bill detachable mags which need to be fitted to work well and feed. It was a riot to shoot.

I've fitted the model D with a tactical stock and rails and mounted a green dot lazer and Surefire light, and some optics. Fun gun, and with the adjustable stock others, (read that Schoolmarm) can shoot it comfortably too.

A good solid rifle. Typical Russian design of "Strong, not pretty." Easy to field strip, easy to maintain. Does what it is designed to do. You won't win at Camp Perry with one, but a decent under 200 yard deer gun and a fun plinker.

Designed as a 300 yd max gun. Within that area it does well.

I bought a SKS several years ago to go with son to the range with his Norinco version ak47 and use the same caliber 7.62X39 rounds. Got a bit carried away and started reloading for the 7.62X39 with Lapua brass, Lee mold and copper gas checks, AA1680 powder and a snap on receiver 'brass catcher' and lost interest and sold the rifle. :rolleyes: Rifle shot plenty well and a fun semi-auto. Learned several things in the reloading for SKS, one was if you use standard soft primers, it may go full-auto or unplanned double taps with the free floating firing pin. There is a spring return firing pin available if desired. This SKS was standard military version with bayonet and short wood stock and price was right.Glad I learned how-to operate and assemble the thing. ^_^B) Have fun!

p.s. still have the brass catcher and Lapua brass, Lee mold, if interested.

They need a couple mods to make them good shooters, but don't we modify everything we buy.

Actually, they just need to be left in stock condition to be good shooters. Most of the failures are due to the aftermarket extended magazines. They should function flawlessly with the stock magazine.

That being said, the SKS was obsolete by the time that it was accepted into service. The AK is simpler, cheaper to manufacture, and has a detachable magazine. The SKS is a fun shooter, but it doesn't really fill any need. An AK is a far superior assault-type carbine, and due to the 7.62 X 39 cartriage that its chambered in it doesn't make a very good battle rifle. For the size and weight of the SKS, it should have been chambered in 7.62 X 54.

Made in China.

Captured in Vietnam.

Fired in Colorado.

My SKS :lol:

Good fun gun to shoot with relatively cheap ammunition. One thing to keep in mind is that the Russian guns (SKS, AK, Moisin-Nagant) have sights that are calibrated in arshins, not yards or meters. One arshin is about 28 inches, or approximately 0.7 meters or 0.77 yards.

Not sure about the sights on guns manufatured in other countries, and there are a slew of those countries. Sometimes it seems that half the countries in the world made an AK or SKS.

And for you Vietnam vets who remember the warnings about certain Chinese-made weapons that had faulty receivers which exploded when shot, you can ignore them. The burst receivers were due to factors unrelated to the guns. Extremely unlikely you'll run into any of these factors

Good fun gun to shoot with relatively cheap ammunition. One thing to keep in mind is that the Russian guns (SKS, AK, Moisin-Nagant) have sights that are calibrated in arshins, not yards or meters. One arshin is about 28 inches, or approximately 0.7 meters or 0.77 yards.

Not sure about the sights on guns manufatured in other countries, and there are a slew of those countries. Sometimes it seems that half the countries in the world made an AK or SKS.

And for you Vietnam vets who remember the warnings about certain Chinese-made weapons that had faulty receivers which exploded when shot, you can ignore them. The burst receivers were due to factors unrelated to the guns. Extremely unlikely you'll run into any of these factors

;)

Sorry never saw any reason to own or shoot one

You never had someone hold one up and just say "here...turn a few rounds loose with this"?

Never been at the range when a friend pulled one out and said "just bought this and want to see how it shoots"?

Amazing....one of the most popular and prolific firearms of the 20th century, with (by some reports)over 15 million copies made.

I am perplexed. :unsure:

Gee Bob you sure are bringing back memories. The first one I ever shot was a bring back like yours an E7 used to haul out every once in a while on range days to get his troops up to speed on. Bought one of the chinese commercial ones when a LEO/FFL friend got a dozen I think and a bunch of us all went in on them and several cases of 7.62x39. IIRC the rifles cost us all of $99 each, what a bargain for a truck or camp gun.

To each his own I reckon.

Never saw a gun I didn't want to shoot. Especially old military ones. :lol:

I thought about buying one, either that or an AK47, but lost interest before I could come up with the $ and ended up going in another direction.

Never shot one, either one. Ugly guns. The type of rifles you want to show your enemies, not your friends.

Guys

Imo the SKS is a rifle that does what it was desinged to do , reletave accurate fire to 300m

Dead relibale with little maintance , kick the action open and turn loose.

Yes it was not state of the art when interduced , but there are a lot of folks no longer with us due to it .

With app 15 million or so of them they will be running as long as ammo is around .

CB

To each his own I reckon.

Never saw a gun I didn't want to shoot. Especially old military ones. :lol:

Same here, UB. If it's got a trigger and a firing pin, I'll pull the trigger on it at least once.

I remember seeing 2x4 racks of hundreds of SKS rifles (the real surplus ones, not the made for import ones) in a gun shop in Birmingham, AL. $40.00 each, or three for $100, and they'd throw in a thousand rounds of ammo if you bought three. I bought three, got a case of ammo, and had a blast!

sks n ak's I will leave for those who like them, Now If it's a single shot Hiwall or a 74 or 75, and the target is 200m or longer, then I'd shoot it, but like most people my desire to shoot a 3rd world weapon just is not on my wish list.

Ive used and shot all USA military weapons made since the late 1800's and prefer them to the te weapons that this thread is about.

I have up most respect for those who use them and like to shoot them, but I do resent comments about the air I breathe, kinda sounds like a threat or a call out... I think you get my drift..

sks n ak's I will leave for those who like them, Now If it's a single shot Hiwall or a 74 or 75, and the target is 200m or longer, then I'd shoot it, but like most people my desire to shoot a 3rd world weapon just is not on my wish list.

Ive used and shot all USA military weapons made since the late 1800's and prefer them to the te weapons that this thread is about.

I have up most respect for those who use them and like to shoot them, but I do resent comments about the air I breathe, kinda sounds like a threat or a call out... I think you get my drift..

Take it as you will, but no threat or call out was intended in my comment.

The SKS is hardly a 3rd world weapon. It was a 2nd world one. Although it's always been used by lots of 3rd world countries.But they used M-1s and Thompsons too if they could get hold of them.

It's an interesting transition between the Tokarev and the Kalashnikov and a part of firearms history, which interests me.

I also prefer US weapons. I don't think we were inferring the Combloc ones were superior. I like to shoot Enfields too. And Mausers.

If I had an Arisaka I might even shoot that.

I would like to state that I am not now nor have I never been a member of that there kommunist party. I do have one of their hats though. :lol:

Just what is an SKS or SKB or what ever it is? :blink:

The SKS is a Soviet semi-automatic carbine chambered for the 7.62x39mm round, designed in 1945 by Sergei Gavrilovich Simonov. SKS is an acronym for Samozaryadnyj Karabin sistemy Simonova (Russian: Самозарядный карабин системы Симонова), 1945 (Self-loading Carbine of (the) Simonov system, 1945), or SKS 45. The Soviets rather quickly phased the SKS carbine out of first-line service, replacing it with the AK-47, but it remained in second-line service for decades afterwards. It remains a ceremonial arm today. It was widely exported and produced by the former Eastern Bloc nations, as well as China, where it was designated the "Type 56", East Germany as the "Karabiner S" and in North Korea as the "Type 63". It is today popular on the civilian surplus market in many countries. The SKS was one of the first weapons chambered for the 7.62x39mm M43 round later used in the AK-47 and RPD.

SKS

I also prefer US weapons. I don't think we were inferring the Combloc ones were superior. I like to shoot Enfields too. And Mausers.

If I had an Arisaka I might even shoot that.

I'd love to have a decent Mauser, either a German or Yugo one. Beautiful action and accurate at long ranges.

You never had someone hold one up and just say "here...turn a few rounds loose with this"?

Never been at the range when a friend pulled one out and said "just bought this and want to see how it shoots"?

Amazing....one of the most popular and prolific firearms of the 20th century, with (by some reports)over 15 million copies made.

I am perplexed. :unsure:

I’ve shot everything from .17 rimfire to 155mm field guns. I’m not really into semi autos. I live in Pennsylvania and we are not allowed to hunt with them, and they aren’t target guns so they just don’t interest me. Even when they were less than $100 I passed.

I enjoyed Lawman Mark's post and took it as a lighthearted comment. ^_^ If not for my son's interest in the Ak47, I don't think I would of been interested in the 7.62X39 cal., but him burning up all that ammo caused me to think a little different and glad I did, and just to read the history of SKS & AK47 and why it's still so popular and yes Hilda, even in the USA.

SKS is likely the cheapest price for a tough as nails, semi-auto rifle in existance. The dang things work and in all kinds of enviroments.YMMV :FlagAm:

I'd love to have a decent Mauser, either a German or Yugo one. Beautiful action and accurate at long ranges.

Got a C&R license?

Here ya go. :D

I’ve shot everything from .17 rimfire to 155mm field guns. I’m not really into semi autos. I live in Pennsylvania and we are not allowed to hunt with them, and they aren’t target guns so they just don’t interest me. Even when they were less than $100 I passed.

I can accept that reason. While I've shot dozens of different full auto guns, they're really not my cup of tea. I prefer accuracy myself, to just spraying ammo down range.

But if you put a .68 caliber Sheutzenboomer on the table with a box of ammo and tell me to have at it, I'm gonna send you back with a dirty gun and empty brass :) I just plain like to shoot. :)

Archived