SASS Wire Forum

Capacity of my Beretta Renegade

Smithy

I finally got my Beretta Renegade home after the waiting period and read the owners manual which of course was filled with the normal "warranty void if you use reloaded ammo" disclaimer. But I did find something interesting in the capacity department. It did lump the 20 inchers in with the 16 inchers (so that may be the problem), but it said at no time should you load any more 45 LC in the mag tube than 8 shells period. Now if that were true with the 16 inch model, one could figure that the 20 inch model would hold 10, but it strictly said 8 only. Since the gun is basically an Uberti 73 in a fancier dress, do any of you folks have any advice on this matter? Will it comfortably hold 10 shells without wearing out the mag spring? Because in SASS, 8 rounds ain't going to cut it basically. Thanks in advance for all your help! Smithy.

Yes it will hold ten. Make sure to clean the mag tube, they are often full of crud and rust, yep even on a brand new one. Be carefull to use a screw driver that fits the plug, may take a couple of raps with a hammer to get it loose. If it doesn't have a SS mag spring and follower they can be found at Cowboys & Indians, Longhunter, Pioneer Gunworks....etc.

Jefro :ph34r:

I have a Uberti carbine in 45LC and it holds 10, granted I replaced the the spring and follower with stainless, but before I did it still held 10

All for now JD Trampas

P.S. put 10 dummy rounds in to see if it will

Beretta measures 20" differently then Uberti...now if it said Uberti on the barrel, then 20" would be fine.

exactly right.

wait...what???

Beretta uses the metric 20". That is 0.508 meters.

there is a "metric" inch? not trying to start anything...but I never heard of that. I even tried searching for it on Google and Bing.

If you can't load 10 you may need to disassemble the mag tube to see if they put a filler rod in it. I had purchased a Chiappa '92 and could only fit 5 rounds in. Once I took the cap off the mag tube I discovered they had a rod in there to limit the number of bullets that could be loaded. I believe that is a European regulation of sorts. Once the rod was removed, I could fit 10 with ease.

Howdy

I suspect that since Beretta is marketing this model, rather than Uberti, they may have had their own go at writing the owner's manual, rather than using the standard Uberti manual. They may be concerned about putting a permanent set in the magazine spring.

Personally, I agree with everybody else. If it will hold ten rounds, then don't worry about it. I do not recommend leaving it loaded with ten rounds in it for days on end, just from the loading table to the firing line.

Now that you have it, can you give us a report. Does it say Uberti on it anywhere? Does it have the Uberti trademark on it anywhere?

Uberti Trademark

Can you measure across the flats of the barrel so we can determine if the taper is any different than on a regular Uberti barrel?

I just sold my last one this morning...but it said Uberti on the bottom of the tang and says Uberti on the box. Since I sold my last Renegade in stock I dont have one to look at to see if the Uberti trademark is anywhere on the rifle. I did see that it came with a Uberti 1873 manual. but then again last year I sold a Taylor's & Co. 1885 Burgess..and it came with a Uberti 1973 manual. I guess I could get with that customer again to see if it has the little Uberti trademark.

Here's another Renegade. Photos do not show Uberti on the gun (doesn't mean it isn't there), but it definately has it on the box.

It's already been said, but clean the inside of your magazine tube. Most of us have gone to a stainless spring and many also use a stainless follower. I learned this the hard way with seven left in the tube. You get to learn the easy way. :D

This is from a website listed below..TEN rounds. Doc Rowlands Guns of The old West....out of Canada

http://www.oldwestguns.ca/index.php?page=products&object=200

1873 Beretta Renegade - TUNED

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer: Beretta

Price: $1880

10 Shots in 7 Sec.

Beretta's new Renegade takes the popular 1873 design to the next level, as the first factory-produced rifle with a shorter action stroke length, straight butt plate and gold bead front sight - "race ready" right out of the box.

Calibre: .357 mag.

Barrel: 20" octagonal.

Capacity: 10 rounds

Finish: Blued

Stock/Forearm: Checkered

The Beretta Renegade is made in the Uberti factory, but to higher standards. It would cost you hundreds of dollars to have a gunsmith make a Uberti 1873 "race ready", including short stroking it.

Beretta is made by Uberti. The Uberti plant is on the grounds of the Beretta plant. You go through the gates with Beretta logo on it, over to the guard house, there they tell you may proceed to the Uberti building do not go into any building with Beretta on it as they have on going military contracts.

Howdy Smithy -

In addition to Buck Bisley's advice regarding looking for a limit rod, check your spring length as well. Ideally, it should only extend about 3" or 4" beyond the end of the mag tube, or about the length of two cartridges.

This is from a website listed below..TEN rounds. Doc Rowlands Guns of The old West....out of Canada

http://www.oldwestguns.ca/index.php?page=products&object=200

1873 Beretta Renegade - TUNED

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer: Beretta

Price: $1880

10 Shots in 7 Sec.

Beretta's new Renegade takes the popular 1873 design to the next level, as the first factory-produced rifle with a shorter action stroke length, straight butt plate and gold bead front sight - "race ready" right out of the box.

Calibre: .357 mag.

Barrel: 20" octagonal.

Capacity: 10 rounds

Finish: Blued

Stock/Forearm: Checkered

The Beretta Renegade is made in the Uberti factory, but to higher standards. It would cost you hundreds of dollars to have a gunsmith make a Uberti 1873 "race ready", including short stroking it.

10 shots in 7 seconds? :wacko: I'm pretty sure my grandmother could beat that.

I guess one way you can find out is to load ten and see,if it does, you're good to go. If it doesn't, there's probably a limiter in the mag tube.

What I think the manual says is that it doesn't recommnend more than 8 to insure proper functioning of the rifle. At least that is what the manual to my 18 inch barreled 357 said. I know my rifle holds 10. I believe yours does too. One way to test is to make 10 dummy rounds and check. Don't test with live ammo in your basement. That is an open inviation to a really serious mistake.

How could anyone claim these guns to be race ready? If these are being advertised as SASS ready guns, they better sure hold 10 rounds and still function properly. Probably same guy wrote the manual that says you can only shoot factory ammmo in the gun.

My 45 Renegade came with a Beretta manual and does state "should be limited to 8 rounds".....My 357 Renegade came with a Uberti manual and it states the very same "should be limited to 8 rounds." My rifles are easy to load with ten rounds and there are no problems with cycling rounds. My rifles were advertised as holding 10+1........anyone have a Uberti manual from a standard Uberti rifle? By the way, the Uberti manual also says using reloaded ammuniton voids the warranty. The Renegade's action (at least my two)is a little stiff out-of-the-box, but cleans up quickly......I wouldn't say "race ready."

My 45 Renegade came with a Beretta manual and does states "should be limited to 8 rounds".....My 357 Renegade came with a Uberti manual and it states the very same "should be limited to 8 rounds." My rifles are easy to load with ten rounds and there are no problems with cycling rounds. My rifles were advertised as holding 10+1........anyone have a Uberti manual from a standard Uberti rifle? By the way, the Uberti manual also says using reloaded ammuniton voids the warranty. The Renegade's action (at least my two)is a little stiff out-of-the-box, but cleans up quickly......I wouldn't say "race ready."

My Instruction Manual that came with my Uberti 20" Short Rifle said, "For optimum reliability only load 10 cartridges in the 24" rifls. Models with the 30" barrel should be limited to 12 cartridges; the 19" and 20" carbines should be limited to 8 cartridges. Using a Stanley 12' Leverlock metal tape measure model number 30-537 "made in the USA" I measured 20 inches from the end of the barrel to the breech.

What do you measure it at Billy?

There's a conversion factor between Uberti and Beretta...20" may indeed be something other then 20"...depends on their conversion factor.

;)

How long is a Yiddish inch? Oy!!! :lol:

Archived