SASS Wire Forum

Okay, what's up?

Stonewall Jake, SASS #60107

Maybe it is old age but just now noticed that there are ads at the top of each page on the SASS Wire.

(If I missed a previous thread on this subject, please forgive.)

The Delorean has been regulated to the bottom of each page. Too many people complaining about it, I guess.

Thought there was to be no advertising on the SASS Wire.

Just curious!

Jake

Hey Jake!

Nice to see ya on the wire!

Only a short time till Tusco & we get to shoot again.

Thumb is healing up & I'm ready to shoot gunfighter again.

--Dawg

Maybe it is old age but just now noticed that there are ads at the top of each page on the SASS Wire.

The Delorean has been regulated to the bottom of each page. Too many people complaining about it, I guess.

Just curious!

Jake

Don't think the Delorean going to the bottom has anything to do with people complaining.

More to do with opening up space to sell ad's.

No advertising on the wire??? Not unless the WB is getting paid for it. :o:huh:

Got to admit. If I owned it. I would be selling that little space also. B)

Hey Jake!

Nice to see ya on the wire!

Only a short time till Tusco & we get to shoot again.

Thumb is healing up & I'm ready to shoot gunfighter again.

--Dawg

Hey Dawg

It has been a while since I last posted on the Wire.

Got something going on the week before Tusco so will have to wait to see how that goes before making the decision to shoot at Tusco.

About time you got back to shooting Gunfighter!

Jake

Lots of forums have ads. It's about money.

It would be nice if they were all firearms/outdoor sports oriented but I really don't care.

Not exactly. There are to be no commercial posts by forum members.

They do have a tendency to get out of control, appearing everywhere, forcing you to click them off to make them go away go away. The point is I've seen many good websites become unusable because of the huge amount of ads that they end up with, hope it doesn't happen here :blink:

This forum is free, I certainly have no problem with the owners (the Wild Bunch) selling advertising on their website. Even better, perhaps they will improve the site with the money they raise. Many other forums keep threads and posts accessible for years rather than the 30 days or so on this forum. That would surely help cut down on the repetitive questions and might help more visitors get interested and become dues paying members (hear that Wild Bunch?). :D

Microfinance Empowers

Join us in enabling the poorest of the poor to improve their own lives

www.GrameenFoundation.org

I have gotten so used to these ads on other sites, that I don't even see them anymore. I had to scroll up and see what folks were talking about. At least this is a discreet ad, instead of those flashing, multi-colored ads, or the ads that move across the screen, blocking your view of the article you're trying to read. If it helps to pay the bills, why not?

Gotta raise some money to pay the bills somehow. Like TV, the site may be free, but it costs money to produce. I make my living with this stuff and I can assure you that running a site like this takes a lot of time and effort. Adding on, lots of folks have lots of opinions on the look of the new site, but you gotta admit, it works a whole better than the old one. For that alone, I'd say "yeeha!", they've done a helluva job.

I am a guest here and this is the Wild Bunch's home...and see no need to complain about the furniture in a house I have been invited into.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

USED to belong to a group that had a cool website, then they started selling advertising space on it, and it went right to hell.

Looks to me like SASS is selling out. :angry:

The least they couls do is sell space to COWBOY businesses.

If thur is gonna be advertizing on the wire . . .

. . . how about gun and western related adverizing ? . . .

I cud handle that. River Junction, or Uberti with nice pictures of Old West Stuff and guns . . . no need to click on it if'n ya don't care to . . but at least something "old west" at the top of the page.

This forum is free, I certainly have no problem with the owners (the Wild Bunch) selling advertising on their website. Even better, perhaps they will improve the site with the money they raise. Many other forums keep threads and posts accessible for years rather than the 30 days or so on this forum. That would surely help cut down on the repetitive questions and might help more visitors get interested and become dues paying members (hear that Wild Bunch?). :D

Well one option would be to have no adds seen if you have an active SASS membership and then only the folks that are not yet (or lapsed members) would see the Adds.

Lots of sites work it this way and it might be something for the WB to think about but it is their sandbox and you have to play by their rules

I wonder if we are all seeing the same ads?

Reason I ask, is because last night I ordered a certain $11 pizza online, and today that's the ad I see at the top of this page.

Maybe I'm paranoid, maybe Google or Big Brother is spying on us, maybe it's coincidence.

Great pizza, btw. :)

Edit to add:

Clicking on other threads got me various Google-approved public service ads, but logging off and back on again got my pizza ad back.

Just curious!

Jake

Why are there ads in the CC? Cuz PAYING ads make the "media" world go round.

Now, ask me why there are ads on NASCAR cars?

Aw, shoot...it ain't about rights or ownership or what every other message board is doing....

You might as well argue that the government, owning the National Parks, is entitled to line them with flashing billboards and such....sure they are - but that don't make it right or pleasant.

It was just nice to come to a place like this without having your senses overloaded with more money-grabbing pitches.

Not saying it's "right" or "wrong" - just that I enjoyed the haven.

You know that more ads will follow; the revenue is too good to resist.

I know it's inevitable...just yearnin' for a simpler time... :wacko::wacko::wacko:

LL

About all advertisements including the movies,you pay to see a movie and get forced to watch ads, a group has filed to get paid to watch or stop the ads, there are multiple lawsuits about the same on the internet, the internet providers, one stating we should get free Tv's being there are so many ads and so on.

Mike, I cant begin to tell you how happy I am about your comment telling me how to deal with all those ads, I never would have realized on my own. :)

Ads don't show up when I view the site on my phone :)

I don't mind having one at the top of the page, but if it gets all cluttered up like some sites that would bother me

SASS is a private enterprise that's no different from any other company. They need to make money. I'm self employed and I understand the need to make money. They can put all the ads they want it's their ballgame. B) Rye, who supports capitalism all the way.:excl:

I wonder if we are all seeing the same ads?

Reason I ask, is because last night I ordered a certain $11 pizza online, and today that's the ad I see at the top of this page.

Maybe I'm paranoid, maybe Google or Big Brother is spying on us, maybe it's coincidence.

Everything you do on-line leaves footprints.

There are "cookies" that embed themselves ... actually, they're put there by the site owner ... that basically tell everyone out there where you've been, what you've looked at, what you've ordered, etc.

The only cure is to sweep your computer and get rid of them all. That should give you some small measure of anonymity.

Unless they backflushed your IP address.

Add-ons for Firefox are pretty cool ...I like Forecast-fox and x-marks. Those are nice too.

I was recently browsing a golf site, looking at some clubs. I then went to a few other sites and saw ads from the site I was just on. Coincidence? No.

On the other hand, I have discovered some pretty cool businesses via Internet ads.

But pop-ups are totally annoying.

-Nate

Just curious!

Jake

It looks to me like they've found a way to help offset the costs of providing us a free service,

without putting it on our membership dues or other approaches.

I appreciate the effort they put into making this new and better web site; I have no reason to complain

or criticize anything they do for me for free.

I guess if I didn't like the free forum they provide I could go to other free forums, or start my own,

but it never would have occurred to me to stand in their guest lobby and complain about the decor.

I guess I'm not up on the latest fads in internet social behavior!

Shadow Catcher

I frequent the SASS Wire for the content and to see what's goin' on. I could care less about cars or ads. Don't pay 'em any mind. The way I figure it, SASS owns and operates the Wire and I enjoy being a member. I'll keep on looking and posting regardless.

Archived