SASS Wire Forum

Start-up reloading set-up

SGT. QUINCANNON, SASS #32999

Weird stuff...that would be .308, 30-06, 9mm, 10mm and such, right? :lol:

Actually, 308, 223, 45-70, 44 mag, 32 s&w, 38 s&w, etc. I reckon anything other than 45LC or 38SPL is different.

LL' :)

Actually, 308, 223, 45-70, 44 mag, 32 s&w, 38 s&w, etc. I reckon anything other than 45LC or 38SPL is different.

LL' :)

Now just a danged minute! 45-70 is NORMAL! Right along with 38-55, 45-90, and 44-40!

50-90, now that one is a bit odd. ;)

The best bargain out there right now is at Cabellas, but ends either Sunday or Monday. The Hornady LNL AP is now on sale for $375 and Cabellas has a free shipping promo going through the rest of the week. I was in a local shop yesterday that had the LNL AP priced at over $700 and if you check Ebay you will find that those geniuses buying there are frequently paying more for used machines and the AP comes up less often than has been the full auto Dillons. It is one tough machine that should outlast most reloaders.

I was in the same situation as you.

Read posts and and questions.

I reload only one caliber (45 Colt) so I bought a Dillon Square Deal

I don't know if it's the "best" out there but I do know I've been very well satisfied with my purchase.

++1, and had not reloaded in about 25 years...bought it used off Ebay, needed a few parts, called and they sent them free.......hard to beat, about 6,000 rounds later I am getting another one to load my Cowboy specials on...

Buy a minimum of two loading manuals and read them first. Buy a press to fit your ideas of how much you will load and what types of ammo you will load. The Square Deal is pistol ammo only for example. You can buy a Lee Pro 1000 pretty reasonable from Midway or similar mail order companies. Back in the day, it was about $135 delivered to my door. Dies were extra. Folks either swear at them or by them. I used two early on and now use Dillons (650 & SD). I'm much happier using the Dillons primarily because of the problems with the primer system on the Lee machines and how often the press screwed up. Also, instead of 250 rounds/hr (when it didn't have problems), I'm doing 600-800/hr on the 650. I'm not sure how fast the SD operates. Some folks will tell you to buy a single stage press first and then go to a progressive if you want. A well made progressive is not a problem for a rookie and you can dispense with the single stage monies by forgoing that route. I look at the value of a press by reliability and speed. The faster ones save me time that I can use for other things. They also can give me a lot of ammo in an hour or so's time.

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it but your FIRST purchase should be:

Modern Reloading by Dr Richard Lee (same Lee that makes them reloaders)

Anyways he gives step by step instructions on reloading with a variety of loaders, including pictures. AND he also explains WHY you are doing plus it will serve as your first loading manual

curley

I started with a Lee and it paid for itself many many many times over so when I trashed it and went to the Dillon I knew what I was looking for in a press. IMHO if you are sure you will be reloading 10 years from now just pay the extra and get the press with the lifetime warranty and be done with it. That saves you the hassles of learning a new press and buying different accessories, etc. BUT if you’re not sure you will keep re-loading,just want cheaper ammo,or just want to start on a budget and see if it's for you I would get the Lee Turret Press and play it by ear.

I figured this going into my decision so it brings up another question, which systems are friendly to other brand's dies, etc?

I will leave it to the experts to comment on any quirks of using various dies in different machines due to length, etc. One point that should be made, however, is that the Dillon SDB is its own animal. Its dies are peculiar to it and it alone. The SDB also is limited in the number of calibers that it can handle.

That being said, I have 2 SDB's; one for 45 and one for 38. I think they are great. There are also 3 single stage presses and the recommende 4 reloading manuals on the bench.

Archived