SASS Wire Forum

What's the call?

Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381

Here we agree whole heartedly!!

It is my second least favorite penalty, right after the one for empty brass.

Very Best Regards,

BJT

Personally I think the whole don't retrieve the dropped round thing is kind of silly. We have rules about breaking the 170, Sweeping folks etc......as long as you don't break the existing safety rules then what's the harm. When I see that penalty earned it is usually when the shooter is standing behind a table and they grab the dropped round off the table which requires no more bending over then was done when the gun staged on that table was picked up......

Stan

Shotgun is out of hand staged on table, right?

Rifle is left at previous position.

Shooter is free to pick up belt with his two free hands. Place belt on table or prop where sg is staged. Proceed to shoot sg with shells from belt. No requirement to put the belt back on body. Buckle may well be broke anyway as the buckle had to fail for the belt to circumnavigate the pistol belt to get to the ground. Equipment failure.

No call.

At EOT it was ruled that AFTER the stage was over and even though both of the shooter's hands were empty, he earned a MSV for picking up a shotshell he had dropped in the course of the stage.

An MSV during the stage for picking up a belt of shotshells off the ground follows that logic, such as it is.

Cheers,

BJT

At EOT it was ruled that AFTER the stage was over and even though both of the shooter's hands were empty, he earned a MSV for picking up a shotshell he had dropped in the course of the stage.

An MSV during the stage for picking up a belt of shotshells off the ground follows that logic, such as it is.

Cheers,

BJT

Hi BJT,

I'm not shooting the messenger here.

I do get that logic. I just don't like it. Especially since we've been told it is a "no call" when a shooter's holster falls to the ground and can be picked up, if the guns remain in the holster.

Regards,

AM

I don't know, the scenario doesn't say, where the pistol belt and pistols are.

Howsomever, an alternative would be to instruct the shooter to place the pistols safely on the table and retrieve the shotshell belt, put the pistols back in the holsters, and continue shooting the stage. No call.

Another choice would be to tell the shooter to stop! Then say no call due to prop failure (?) and offer a reshoot with appropriate adjustments prior to reshoot.

Or, stop. 6 misses due to no ammo....

Place belt on table or prop where sg is staged. Proceed to shoot sg with shells from belt. No requirement to put the belt back on body. Buckle may well be broke anyway as the buckle had to fail for the belt to circumnavigate the pistol belt to get to the ground. Equipment failure.

Or it could be that he didn't have it buckled properly in the first place, so it just came undone. Unless a stage is written where ammo is to be staged, the ammo has to come from the shooter's body. If the belt is truly broken, I'd offer the guy a reshoot after he resolves the problem. (Having said that, I need to go look at the rules to see if a reshoot is even allowable.) In any event, I wouldn't allow staging the ammo.

Why not??? It ain't like it would be any kind of a competitive advantage for the shooter to screech on the brakes, reach down, retrieve the belt, lay it on the prop/table and load out of the loops.

Any shells that fell out of the loops onto the ground would of course be dead and could not be used.

Or it could be that he didn't have it buckled properly in the first place, so it just came undone. Unless a stage is written where ammo is to be staged, the ammo has to come from the shooter's body. If the belt is truly broken, I'd offer the guy a reshoot after he resolves the problem. (Having said that, I need to go look at the rules to see if a reshoot is even allowable.) In any event, I wouldn't allow staging the ammo.

At the beginning of the stage the shotgun shells were in the belt which was on the shooters body.....so the ammo be fine to use.

Stan

Hey,

Have I told you I think the rule about dropped shells stinks. :unsure::rolleyes:;)

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS Newbies, IMO it's all about muzzle control. Where the shells land has no bearing on muzzle control. You can place a shell on a prop with no call. If you drop them in the exact same spot (edit to add) and pick them up, it's a 10 second minor safety penalty (MSV).

Hey,

Have I told you I think the rule about dropped shells stinks. :unsure::rolleyes:;)

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS Newbies, IMO it's all about muzzle control. Where the shells land has no bearing on muzzle control. You can place a shell on a prop with no call. If you drop them in the exact same spot, it's a 10 second minor safety penalty (MSV).

another stoooooooopid rule ........wish they would put in the rule book who came up with these redundant rules so we could all thank the authors.......as surely this is why rules like this are made ........we need ta all congrat em so they feel good about themselves

Archived