SASS Wire Forum

Somali PIrates

Utah Bob #35998

Looking at the situation realistically, we cannot carpet bomb Somalia nor can we simply "wipe em out". Sounds great but...

Despite how it looks on the map, that's a very large section of ocean in which they're operating. We have limited resources in the area and simply can't cover it. Even with the other navies patrolling, the amount of ship traffic in the area is significant and virtually impossible to protect.

The pirates are not organized. They have no home base or leadership. They use boats that look just like the thousands of coastal fishing boats used in the region. Many times they negotiate directly with foreign shipping companies who will pay for hostages release and are fearful of getting the governments involved.

Our military still adheres to US and international law where it concerns force and the treatment of prisoners. Executions at sea are not going to happen.

A frustrating situation, much more difficult than the Barbary Pirates campaign of the 19th century. Some merchant ships have begun to carry armed contractors but private vessels are generally defenseless. With our military expending a lot of resources in Iraq and Afghanistan I don't see a massive response any time soon. Just like you cannot rely on the police to keep yopu safe and eliminate the criminals you can't expect the navy to solve the problem. Somalia is a chaotic country with no effective government. That's what needs to be fixed. Until then, if you have no pressing reason to be in that area, just like a bad neighborhood in your city, don't go.

Bad situation for sure.

Well, death to these folks holds no fear. I think they actually perfer to die than to "live" in that type of misery.

So, that being said, If "they" don't care, then why should we ? Yes there are some good folks living there, but we can't weed them out from the bad. And when they see just how bleak their future is and a pirate is killed, that means an opening for them to make some cash.

My answer is to bomb the coast line. Take out as many piers as possible. Send in two Special Ops teams, one as a distraction and they other rescue the hostages.

After that, sink any and all boats/ships that can leave harbor.:FlagAm:dry.gif

The Navy has a couple of those "hole-in-the-water" hunter/killer subs right? Well take the leash off one and let the sea dogs hunt. When them pirate ships leave port, but are never heard from again, who they gonna call? They already want revenge for the two that were killed today. Well, turn about is fair play in my book. There's a whole lot of water out there to get 'lost' in. :ph34r:

Sharks gotta eat

I'm just sayin......... :angry:

Dear Marshal. please do not look at me at the shoot on Sunday.. I will not be able to stop laughing...lol.. this is too funny..

If some rich philantropist would like to outfit some luxery yachts armed to the teeth to sail the area looking fat dumb and happy I'd consider signing on as one of the crew. I have dibs on the vulcan

Bugs

Last I heard on the news two of the pirates were bragging about being the shooters and wanting the others to shoot them before being taken into custody,maybe we should oblige them.

Goin armed on board these boats is not recent idea, knew a guy who was planning a sailing vaction in the carribean many years ago. Among their supplies were a stainless mini 14 and a mossberg mariner 12 gauge with IIRC a dozen magazines for the rifle and a case of rounds for each gun.

Piracy will continue as long as the ransoms are being paid. That whole area sounds like a target-rich environment for predator drones.

Last I heard on the news two of the pirates were bragging about being the shooters and wanting the others to shoot them before being taken into custody,maybe we should oblige them.

Goin armed on board these boats is not recent idea, knew a guy who was planning a sailing vaction in the carribean many years ago. Among their supplies were a stainless mini 14 and a mossberg mariner 12 gauge with IIRC a dozen magazines for the rifle and a case of rounds for each gun.

Yeah - they do have a selection of weapons to carry out thier dasterdly deeds...

http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-us%3AIE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7SKPB_en&biw=1259&bih=567&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=somali+pirates&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=

GG ~ :FlagAm:

They will be brought here and given a trial at millions of dollars of taxpayer’s expense. The apologists will make excuses as to why they had no choice but to be pirates and provide them with the best attorneys that our money can buy. Then we will incarcerate them again at taxpayer’s expense in better conditions than they ever had at home.

The Russians had the right idea, I’d go it one better just toss their asses into the sea and let them swim. Even the sharks have to eat

HTH

Howdy, Pards,

I'm not really up on the superstructure configuration of current U.S. Navy ships... But don't they still have some sort of yardarm? :o:angry: Either that or just turn them loose...overboard, say 100 miles or so offshore. Let 'em swim back to Somalia, after giving them a nice rubdown...with fish oil... You know, fish oil is supposed be good for the heart. Some species of sharks may be endangered from eating too much whale blubber. Fish oil ought to be good for them...the sharks that is!

Ride careful, Pards! Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! Godspeed Discovery! God Bless America!

Your Pard,

It wouldn't surprise me to see them diverted to the area. They've been there before. The Boxer was where the captain of the Maersk Alabama was taken after he was rescued from the pirates in '09.

USS Boxer task force

Archived