SASS Wire Forum

Can you change a finish on SS

Marshal Max Henry

Can you blue or "Brown" a SS gun? I think i can get a deal on some SS stuff but really want the blued look. Any help would be appriciated.

Much Obliged

Max Henry

I know that Brownells sells some "baked on" products for SS that would be close, but I'm not too sure that would be close enough for your intended purpose. Smithy.

P.S. Sorry but Brownells site was down when I posted this so I can't be of any more help.

Howdy Mad Max - yes, it can be done.

Hot black oxide would be the professional route to go. A good plating shop should be set up for it, but it's probably going to be kind of pricy. The equipment and chemicals can cost around $10,000 so you know the shop will try to recoup their investment.

This Insta Black looks like it might work http://www.epi.com/pages/stainless-steel-antiquing but it's about $110 a bottle + $25 HazMat shipping.

Howdy

If you want blued, buy blued. Any savings you realize by getting Stainless through a 'deal' will be more than lost in trying to make them look blue.

Can you blue or "Brown" a SS gun? I think i can get a deal on some SS stuff but really want the blued look. Any help would be appriciated.

Much Obliged

Max Henry

Hey Max,

Yes, ROBAR does stainless steel blackening - chrome-sulfide, for firearms: ROBAR

I finished my Ruger pistol this way - Ruger NV and it looks nice -

see their web site. It's not blue - but it's good.

Shadow Catcher

Howdy

If you want blued, buy blued. Any savings you realize by getting Stainless through a 'deal' will be more than lost in trying to make them look blue.

Yup.

And they don't look good at all imho.

If you have stainless guns then about the best thing to do IMHO is to do a high polish that makes them appear to be of a nickel finish.

Much Obliged

Max Henry

Are you sure it's stainless. The Stoegers are polished or matte nickel. So are the Baikal’s. Some of the Spanish and Italian SXS's have had stainless receivers but I haven’t seen any with stainless barrels.

Many of my non-CAS customerS don’t care for the shiny stainless Rossi 92’s. So, I started offering a Tu-Tone Matte finish.

TU-TONE STAINLESS 92'S

Wolf Bane uses one for Wild Bunch. He says the finish makes it look like an old one.

Edit;

Somehow I mistook SS for SXS. Anyway, there are numerous finishs available for stainless but the most economical is the to a matte.

Here a STAINLESS RUGER TU-TONED

Are you sure it's stainless. The Stoegers are polished or matte nickel. So are the Baikal’s. Some of the Spanish and Italian SXS's have had stainless receivers but I haven’t seen any with stainless barrels.

Many of my non-CAS customerS don’t care for the shiny stainless Rossi 92’s. So, I started offering a Tu-Tone Matte finish.

TU-TONE STAINLESS 92'S

Wolf Bane uses one for Wild Bunch. He says the finish makes it look like an old one.

Nate -

the more I see that shot - the more i think I'd like that finish on my SS Rossi -

I'll contact you off line shortly - I'm curious about how much and how long.

I'll PM you shortly . . . .

Shadow Catcher

Hey Max,

Yes, ROBAR does stainless steel blackening - chrome-sulfide, for firearms: ROBAR

I finished my Ruger pistol this way - Ruger NV and it looks nice -

see their web site. It's not blue - but it's good.

Shadow Catcher

This is great thank you. I love the idea of keeping the grip frame and Cylinder holder pin? (I dont know what its called) but that looks great what did it cost?

Much Obliged Sir

Howdy

Yes Sir but I have a Cowboy who is going to help me out. He is going to trade me a rare .32 lever action with short stroke action job,which i cant even do on mine, for a rossi ss92 and R NV's .357 for pair of SS .32 Single sixes straight up. Because he knows i need them. I cant pass it up. I have Arthritis and i shoot GF the small Single six frame does not tax my thumb joint and I shoot Frontier cartridge so i really need the ss. A cowboy sent me a company name that does a black finish on ss and it looks good and fights curossion so i will have double protection for FC. So it really is a better deal and i cant pass it up just because it is ss.

I shoot Frontier cartridge so i really need the ss.

Howdy Again

All the reasons you state are good for whatever choice you want to make. But you do not need Stainless Steel guns to shoot Black Powder. That is a myth perpetrated by those who know very little about Black Powder. I have been shooting Frontier Cartridge Duelist for years with real Black Powder and all my guns are blued.

This is great thank you. I love the idea of keeping the grip frame and Cylinder holder pin? (I dont know what its called) but that looks great what did it cost?

Much Obliged Sir

Gotta call ROBAR for a quote - but it was around $90 for the job I had done, whole pistol is probably a bit more -

they're gunsmith's too, so they can do other work - read their pages a bit and see what you think - also you can

down load their (PDF) price sheet.

Shadow Catcher

Archived