SASS Wire Forum

How often do you clean your .22 rifles?

OK! OK! So some do and some don't clean on a regular or frequent basis. Now for the bonus question.

WHAT ABOUT .17 HMR Caliber rifles? Anybody asides Cherokee Charlie and Greeenriver shoot them?

Howdy

I don't own any .17 guns except a couple of pellet guns.

Can I still answer about my 22s? My 10/22 starts to get fussy if I don't clean it after a few matches. Not accuracy, reliability. I hate taking it completely apart, it is a pain to get the bolt back in properly. But I usually get in there with a tooth brush and some Hoppes before every match to clean the gunk from around the chamber and extractor so it keeps functioning. My Mark II I usually field strip and clean before every match too. In addition, I have found gunk builds up on the lips of the magazines with these guns and that can affect reliability too, so I clean off the lips of the mags every once in a while too.

My other 22s, Winchester Model '06, Winchester Model 61, and Marlin Model 39A are not so fussy and don't get cleaned so often.

I never met a gun that I didn't like to some extent. I had a .22 Winchester that I could never get to feed correctly, and I gave up on it. Ugly guns do not do a lot for me, and I am not enamored with some of the thumb hole stocks and cutout on the wood. But that is just me. Nothing wrong in my book if it turns you crank. As for as brand names go, I personally have some I like and others that I do not "lust" after. My soul must be in jeopardy, but I am not a fan of the semi autos, especially the 10/22 from Ruger.

Cherokee Charlie and Willie Wheelgun put me on to the Cooper. I had never heard of them. There are a lot of things that I have never heard of, due to my sheltered life style. Anyway, I digress.

I got to looking at the purdy pictures of the Coopers, trying to ignore the price tag. I mean $1800.00+ for a .22 LR is pretty outrageous in my book. I guess the value of the rifle is in what you perceive it to be. If you get silly, knocking steel chickens, turkeys, pigs and rams off the post, then I guess it is ok to jump on it. From what I have HEARD, I have never seen a Cooper, they are the benchmark of small bore. Anschutz and Kimber might have something to say about that, but they are also in that same price range, so I guess it is moot.

I have no doubt that the rifle will do all that is claimed by them and also by most of the shooters. Cherokee Charlie excepted. :lol:

Anyway, before I jump off the bridge and go crazy, I would at least like to attend a shoot and see

what is done and how they do it. I probably would get crazy and want to try it. I have a Marlin

39A that I think is all I need. But there is that nagging doubt and perhaps I need another small

bore. I do not have a .17 HMR. :unsure:

Archived