SASS Wire Forum

What were your first guns?

http://s1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd479/jeepcj559/?action=view&current=redrider.jpg

My Red Ryder Grandma got for me when I was 6 in 1966

Geez....I'd been out of high school for 2 years when you got that.Mine didn't have that large of engraving on the stock if I remember right.Don't know what ever happened to that BB gun.I know it got never shot right after my cousin laid it down then tripped and stepped on the barrel.It would shoot around corners after that though.

I’m sure I had hand-me-down cap (from my older brother) guns as a kid, but I was always around firearms growing up as my dad built muzzleloaders for fun. I was shooting competition long rifles against adults by the age of 10. Before I was born, my Dad built his own M-1841 6-PDR field gun (in ¾ scale so he could use wheels he already had, but he later hand-made the correct artillery wheels for it). We did Civil War re-enactments with it for years. This photo shows me pushing on the wheel to the left of the photo at the ripe age of seven.

On the fifth of July (stores weren't open on my birthday, the fourth) on my eighteenth birthday I bought a Winchester model 37A in 12 GA and my 21st birthday bought a Ruger Security Six in 357. My folks never had guns nor liked or wanted them, but I did and had to produce them on my own. Smithy.

Geez....I'd been out of high school for 2 years when you got that.Mine didn't have that large of engraving on the stock if I remember right.Don't know what ever happened to that BB gun.I know it got never shot right after my cousin laid it down then tripped and stepped on the barrel.It would shoot around corners after that though.

The German's had somethin' like that in WWII....:P

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Not the first cap guns I ever had, but a set I remember well - two Pony Boy cap guns in a 'Lone Ranger' style holster.

As a kid I was pretty rough on my toys, but I picked a set up a few years ago for nostalgia's sake:

Here is a shot of the complete rig

Here the cap guns are out of the holsters

Hi-Yo and Awaaaay,

TMM

Holly Crap I had that LOne ranger set too.Wow what a Flashback Thanks.

My First gun was a .22 that the clip held 5 and was flush with bottum ,but the forarm wood stock, front half would fold down for a grip. Does anyone know what that was? I had it for ever, gave it to my friend to keep while i was in the Marine Corps and when i got out he and his wife had divorced and she pawned it. My Pop got me that when i was 6. I would likr to know if anyone remembers what im talkin about.Id like to choke her.

My Pop owned a gunshop so i was a little spoiled. My first pistol was an 8" colt Python target .357 with the ribbing going allong the top of barrel. I did not realize that it was such an expensive gun. I got it when i was 10 and my ignorant self didnt like it because it kicked too much(even .38) and i wanted a cowboy gun so he took it and probably sold it for a hefty $600-$700 dollars in the 1970's and got me a early model Ruger single six .22lr and Mag. cyl. Just gave it to my son for christmas. I hope he keeps it in the family for ever.

For 11th Christmas i got a Remington .410 single shot. That, like an idiot, when i was 14 sawed off the stock and barrel because i thought it was cool(ruined a beautiful gun) 12th Christmas i got a Ruger 10-22 with some of those teardrop 50 round clips and an actuator. One of those things you cranked and it sounded full auto. That was cool.

First gun i baught with my own money was a junk Italian repro 51 navy. But i was so proud i was like 13 or 14 got it at the gun show. Still have it. But that aint a big deal no onw would give me a nickle for it.

Holly Crap I had that LOne ranger set too.Wow what a Flashback Thanks.

My First gun was a .22 that the clip held 5 and was flush with bottum ,but the forarm wood stock, front half would fold down for a grip. Does anyone know what that was?

Sounds like one of the Mossberg .22s. Mods. 142, 152, 342 352, 353 all had the fold down foreend. There was also an 8 round detachable box magazine for them that extended slightly below the stock.

The first gun I had that actually shot anything was a toy double-barrel shotgun that shot corks. A neighbor brought that over one snowy Christmas eve when I was about 4 years old. I used it till it broke and then had another one just like it till it broke. Also went through a succession of pistols that fired rubber cup tipped plastic darts. (The darts shot better if you took the rubber cups off). Also had a number of cap pistols, a genuine Daisy Red Ryder "You'll shoot yer eye out kid" BB gun that I got one Christmas. Then it was on to .22 rifles and shotguns. I don't have the .22's anymore, but I do have the 12 gauge Fox Sterlingworth SxS that I got when I was 15.

Archived