SASS Wire Forum

Legal Or Not?

Jack Houston # 35508

Recently saw a shooter who we will say has a Big Overhang. Like Me!

He had his holsters hanging on his shotgunbelt. SB was at legal height (at belly button)

Is this alright??

I would think there's nothing wrong with that, just thought I'd ask!

After reading page 11 of the handbook it seems like he is good to go; As long as he doesn't hike the belt up any further; Cover any of the shotgun loops with anything, especially a shotgun/pistol slide; Only places shotgun rounds into the loops (NO rifle or pistol); And his holsters are a fists width away from his navel = Good to go! Smithy.

After reading page 11 of the handbook it seems like he is good to go; As long as he doesn't hike the belt up any further; Cover any of the shotgun loops with anything, especially a shotgun/pistol slide; Only places shotgun rounds into the loops (NO rifle or pistol); And his holsters are a fists width away from his navel = Good to go! Smithy.

The rule is "No shotgun slide may be over shotgun loops" nothing about slide over pistol/rifle loops. The rule is "holsters on each side of belly button, two fists apart" not one fist away from navel. I'd have to have an iterpretation of the rules on the belt itself as the rules state "shotgun belt must be at or below the belly button" but this is technically a gun belt, but as the OP asks, this rig is good to go.

Out here we have a shooter that uses a cinch for a gun belt. Looks pretty good also.

My personal rig is two slim-jim holsters suspended from a shotgun belt. If I need non-shotgun a reload, I do it from my pockets, as I have no pistol-caliber cartridge loops (I've thought about buying Hardin-styled holsters with loops on the outside of the holster pouch, but if I'm going to spend more money, I'll buy a whole new rig).

About the only real problems I see fokes wanting to argue on shotgun belts deals with either the height worn or the wearing over 'cartridge loops' and both get interpreted two ways frequently. Those of us who are on the portly side do tend to wear our Shot Shell belts somewhat high and some now claim that only the top can go over the navel but I was always told differently in the past, the bottom couldnt go above the navel. Much less an issue for those with a waist rather than a waste line!

I really like the WB rig Jack, very business like. I would really like to talk to you sometime on how you flat sew those mag pouches?? They do not call me a thief for nothing. Is the belt with it, linked to here, the one you are talking about? http://www.loneriderleather.com/index.html

Those of us who are on the portly side do tend to wear our Shot Shell belts somewhat high and some now claim that only the top can go over the navel but I was always told differently in the past, the bottom couldnt go above the navel.

It is where the ammo is, not where the belt is. So long as some portion of the shotgun hull is at the BB, you are fine. Not the belt, not the loop, the shell itself.

Seeing some folks wearing shotshell belts rather high makes me wonder if anyone has been challenged on the point and asked to bare their bellybutton to prove placement...

Yep, my wife does that to me at most every match. I think she might have an alterior motive though. :blink:

Archived