SASS Wire Forum

Martina Mcbride sings National Anthem

Clay Mosby

Didn't want to hijack UB's thread.

Did you catch Martina McBrides rendition of the National Anthem at the Daytona 500 yesterday!

Now THAT is how the National Anthem should be sung!!!!!!! :FlagAm::):FlagAm::):FlagAm::):FlagAm::):FlagAm::)

Reasonably clean, still some "interpretation." Bonus points for the a capella.

But this one is hard to beat

Smooth, mellow, clean. Even have the phrasing right, rather than the way it is usually done.

The Star Spangled Banner was written as a poem not a song. The words were force fit around the melody from an old British drinking song. I seriously doubt that anyone has the original score for the piece.

Any version sung with the correct lyrics and with dignity and respect is proper in my mind

The Star Spangled Banner was written as a poem not a song. The words were force fit around the melody from an old British drinking song. I seriously doubt that anyone has the original score for the piece.

Any version sung with the correct lyrics and with dignity and respect is proper in my mind

It wasn't a force fit, there are certain meters that were in common usage. That is why in old hymnals you see things like 6-7-7-6 or 8-6-8-6, and so on. You can swap words out at will to any other with the same meter. That is why Jabberwoky can be sung to Greensleeves, same with House of the Rising Sun. Also Gilligans Island and Amazing Grace.

We also have, to the same tune as Anacriontics, Adams and Liberty

It wasn't a force fit, there are certain meters that were in common usage. That is why in old hymnals you see things like 6-7-7-6 or 8-6-8-6, and so on. You can swap words out at will to any other with the same meter. That is why Jabberwoky can be sung to Greensleeves, same with House of the Rising Sun. Also Gilligans Island and Amazing Grace.

We also have, to the same tune as Anacriontics, Adams and Liberty

The Marine Hymn can be sung to My Darlin Clementine.

I'm just sayin... :lol:

Archived