SASS Wire Forum

Shotshell press for BP

Mad Dog Irv

HINT: If you decide to go with Lee, don't waste your money on the primer feed upgrade. Totally worthless.

It is kind of clumsy. Having to reach through to set a fresh primer is the one shortcoming of the machine. Even so, it is better than setting each primer by picking them up one at a time.

I have MEC 650 that I bought(used)several years ago for a wopping $50. I like the MEC's because (1) They are good machines for the money (2) Replacement parts are availiable from MEC and (3) MEC has all the manuals online (free download).

I upgraded my 650 with a universal powder/shot bar, which does away with the inserts and is well worth the money (in my opinion). I use it for doing both smokeless and BP. The ONLY problem that I've had is with the BP substitutes which tend to clump and don't seem to meter very well. The real BP works just fine.

My other caution is to NEVER use these loaders for (full) brass hulls. The sizer is made for doing modern plastic hulls (with brass bases) and you will tear up your machine trying get a brass hull unstuck...

Y'all be Careful,

Willie

Oh, and as others have mentioned, one has to be very careful when loading BP from a plastic hopper, as they tend to build up static electricity and cause your BP to go kaboom.

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/sparks/sparks.html

Wipe the Powder bottle with a "Bounce Sheet" or like dryer product every once in a while ,,,,,,,, Removes static ......

Jabez Cowboy

When I was loading 20ga I used a Loadall with no problem and used a dipper to measure the powder. I am now shooting 12ga and using a MEC jr.Lyman BP measure and just to make it more fun I roll crimp.I had no problems with the Lee and you would have to pry the MEC from my hand.I did add the primer feeder to the MEC it did help speed up the process if you can use that word when loading real BP.

Sgt H

Archived