SASS Wire Forum

Shotshell press for BP

Mad Dog Irv

So....I'm going to start loading my own shotshells with BP (or maybe a sub), I'll only load enough for me, and I'll only use it for what I shoot in matches. What are your thoughts on an ecomomical loader? I was leaning heavily toward a Lee Load-All, only because the cost is up my alley. Also, anything extra I should look for using BP (or a sub).

Thanks,

Mad Dog Irv

I think lots of folks use those because of the cost factor. I have picked up several MEC's over the years for little to nothing. One 600 was $10 at a garage sale, another Grabber I got for $25 at a pawn shop. Look around, they're out there.

I use a MEC 600Jr that I bought off of eBay and later bought a used primer feeder which works great. The whole set-up gives me good loads using real BP. I did consider the LEE Load-All but decided to go with the MEC. Everything else I have is LEE. I've read good things about the Load-All so I don't think you could go wrong with that.

The hard part is setting up your loader for the amount of powder and shot that you want to use. I started out using almost 60gr of BP, but with the price of BP going up, I cut it back to about 46gr. I'd like to get it down just a bit more if I could, but that'll be something for another day.

So....I'm going to start loading my own shotshells with BP (or maybe a sub), I'll only load enough for me, and I'll only use it for what I shoot in matches. What are your thoughts on an ecomomical loader? I was leaning heavily toward a Lee Load-All, only because the cost is up my alley. Also, anything extra I should look for using BP (or a sub).

Thanks,

Mad Dog Irv

I used a Lee Load-all for a bunch of years to load BP shells before I got a good deal on a MEC Sizemaster. The Load-all is still good; but has been relegated to a secondary role now.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

The LoadAll will fill your needs nicely. The only thing you'll have to do is modify a powder bushing to throw enough powder. I can PM you the details of what I did to mine if you're interested.

My MEC 600 Jr is 35+ years old and going strong! I use it exclusively for BP shotgun. I have an RCBS Grand that is wonderful; cranks our perfect rounds as fast as you can pull the handle once everything is adjusted CORRECTLY. Try using oddball shot columns and it gets finicky REAL fast.

Quick story;

I have my trusty mec set up to make BP shells in AA cases, WT12 wads and 1 1/4oz shot. Got it into my head to try a solid charge bar instead of my adjustable. Ok, that 1/4oz shot DOES make a difference! Tinkered for a while, eventually went back to the adjustable bar (that I don't adjust once I've found the perfect shot/powder charges). I did try the Grand. Powder gate didn't like 777. Sticks. Got tired of fiddling with the powder and shot charges soooo.... :wacko:

I have specific Smokeless loads for the Grand. As long as you stick to the "book"; such and such wad, powder and charge, shot charge and case, it makes perfect shells. Change ONE thing and you gots to adjust EVERYTHING, EVERY time. More time wasted fiddling than I want to invest. Stick to the "book" loads.

My MEC only makes ONE load. Once adjusted, I'm good. Never used anything else like a Lee or RCBS Mini Grand (also a single stage like the MEC 600) The existing bushings available starting from #36 to 39A will throw 40gr to 50gr VOLUME loads from my press. Remember to convert from VOLUME to WEIGHT if you're adjusting loads and weighing them. Go to Capt Baylor's site. Lots of good BP info.

http://www.curtrich.com/captbaylorsrangercamp.html

I vote for the MEC 600. I picked up a used one at a gunshop at a range for about $25. I load Triple Se7en in 20 ga. I CAN crank out a box of shells in well under an hour as long as I don't get distracted (by kids, pets, wife, aiming fluid, telephone, my ADHD-like nature, etc).

Thanks,

Mad Dog Irv

I use a Mec 600 off E-Bay!

Do not like puting BP through it (personal opinion) so use a lee diper to add powder.

Works for me ;)

DD

Here's another vote for the MEC Jr. I got mine at a gun show for $20 and it works great. I had a Load-All for a while, and had some issues with setting the primers too deep. Never had a problem that way with the MEC...

For Black Powder loads, nothing beats a single stage MEC machine. The older MEC 600 and Versamec 700, as well as the newer 600 JR MK V, or a Sizemaster will do the job nicely. Personally, I do not care for a progressive press for loading Black Powder.

Unless you have the patience of Jobe, stay away from the Lee load All. They are a royal PITA at best. Way too many issues with them. Yes, they do work. How well is another subject.

RBK

I purchased a used Hornady Progressive 366 long before i started shooting cowboy action and black powder.

It works great for black powder loads. I usually use the heaviest loads allowed in my rifle and revolvers but ended up using 7/8 ounce loads in my 12 gauge side by side. It does the job on the knock down plates and clay pigeons when i do my part.

elfego :FlagAm:

Like Fingers Mcgee suggested, if you can pick up a MEC Sizemaster on the cheap you won't be disappointed. If not for the sole reason that it's a quality single (non progressive) press and it totally resizes the entire brass head of the shell which is of a benefit to later shucking said shell out of your gun. I had four Sizemasters running in each gauge of skeet when I use to shoot that game, each set to the specific skeet load required. They all worked like a champ. Smithy.

Unless you have the patience of Jobe, stay away from the Lee load All. They are a royal PITA at best. Way too many issues with them. Yes, they do work. How well is another subject. RBK

Horsefeathers.

Been using mine for 7 years without a hitch for both 12 and 20 gauge, smokeless and BP. The only problem I've had was one of the "E" clips on the handle broke. That cost me a whole 5 cents to fix.

I would suggest a Mec 600 jr, used or new.

I own both the the Lee and the Mec and reload for BP. I use the Lee for my 16g loads and the Mec for my 10g loads. I hand dip the BP charge for both, for the 16ga I use 45-70 case grinded down to the charge I picked and for the 10ga I use a 20ga hull trimmed down to the charge I picked.

The Lee is virtually all plastic and comes with all the enough powder and shot options (for smokeless) you could want.

The Mec is virtually all metal and comes with only a couple of powder and shot bars.

The Mec is a better press and far easier to re-size hulls and prime and deprime on. There is nothing that the Lee does that the Mec doesn't do better.

Irv I'm going to go along with just about everyone else and say the Load All is cheap and will do for what you need but.... You can find used MECs for cheap money frequently. I passed a load all along to another shooter after I picked up a Versa MEC from a pard. Had the Lee mounted to a 1x4 that I'd c clamp to the bench top for loading then remove. The Versa does everything faster and I've found the threads on an old metal WW748 powder can are the same as the powder bottle on the press and screws right in if you are concerned about static etc.

FYI I have never loaded a single smokeless shotshell on any loader and only started loading for the 12 gauge when I switched over to bp.

MEC 600 Jr. I use this to load both smokeless and BP but I use a separate powder charger/hopper (55 Classic BP measure by Lyman) when loading BP.

I use the LEE load all and a black powder measure, I didn't want to mess around with the bushings and filling up the hopper with 777.

+1

Dirt cheap. Been using it for 10 years.

The MEC 600 and the MEC Sizemaster are both quality presses and just about identical. The only difference is in the resizing station. The 600 kind of shaves the brass back to size from the top of the shell down to the top of the rim of the case. With repeated loadings (or should I say, one too many loadings) you can start to see a ridge of brass built up just above the rim of the case.

The Sizemaster on the other hand, drops the shell into their propitiatory collet sizer. When you depress the handle the fingers of the collet collapse around the entire case head returning it to factory specs. If I were to choose (and price for a used unit were comparable), I'd opt for the Sizemaster. Smithy.

http://www.mecreloaders.com/productline/600JrMark5.asp

http://www.mecreloaders.com/ProductLine/SizeMaster.asp

http://cgi.ebay.com/MEC-SIZEMASTER-12-GA-RELOADER-MODEL-SM82-/200578476601?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb368aa39#ht_522wt_1139

Last link is the least expensive ebay one out there but there are a bunch more.

Too many to list on the 600's, but a BUNCH at/around/under 50 bucks in various conditions and price goes up as condition does up to and including "brand new in the box" for full retail or thereabouts of 169. That or ebay full retail, not sure. Good luck on your search.

+1000 on the MEC 600 Jr. Used ones are about the same as a new Lee Load-All, and if you're like me and demand your equipment actually works, you won't be satisfied with the Lee. The older ones were fine, but they've since started making the base out of plastic instead of aluminum. The one I had flexed every time I pulled the handle, causing the dies to strike the shells at an angle instead of straight. The angled strike left marks/scores on the sides of the shells. It didn't crimp very uniformly, either.

I bought a used MEC 600 Jr and a "universal charge bar" to fit it. It works nicely for both black powder and smokeless. I gave the Lee away to a friend who was starting out in reloading, making fully sure to explain to him its shortcomings. He used it for awhile, then once he realized he was going to stick with reloading he bought a MEC and gave the Lee to another newbie :)

Oh, and as others have mentioned, one has to be very careful when loading BP from a plastic hopper, as they tend to build up static electricity and cause your BP to go kaboom. This is an issue for Lee as well as MEC, but there are remedies for both. I just use a brass BP powder measurer from my muzzleloader kit in lieu of the press's powder measurer. Others have remedies for the presses so you can use it as intended (I heard a guy say a metal Goex can screws directly onto the MEC press, but I haven't tried it).

Your post asked for an economical press. I don't see how you can get more economical than this. ;)

I'm just sayin... :lol:

The MEC 600 and the MEC Sizemaster are both quality presses and just about identical. The only difference is in the resizing station. The 600 kind of shaves the brass back to size from the top of the shell down to the top of the rim of the case. With repeated loadings (or should I say, one too many loadings) you can start to see a ridge of brass built up just above the rim of the case.

Howdy

The resizing station on the MEC Jr does not shave any brass. It swages it, no different than the resizing die of any metallic die set. I have reloaded zillions of BP rounds on my MEC Jr. You ain't gonna get enough reloadings using Black Powder to matter anyway, the petals up at the crimp will burn out long before you affect the brass.

Howdy

The resizing station on the MEC Jr does not shave any brass. It swages it, no different than the resizing die of any metallic die set. I have reloaded zillions of BP rounds on my MEC Jr. You ain't gonna get enough reloadings using Black Powder to matter anyway, the petals up at the crimp will burn out long before you affect the brass.

Yep

Look to this site http://www.corbins.com/ and see what they have to say about Swaging, after all that is their entire business. It occurs when the object is totally enveloped by the tool/tools and pressure is applied to produce the desired outcome. In their case bullets. In the case of the Sizemaster, the case head itself. If you have a tight chamber or close to SAMMI specs you probably won't notice it. But if you have a loose chamber or one that has been loosened for purposes of easy extraction, the brass will be able to expand to those larger dimensions at which time the 600 may in fact "shave" brass. I've seen it happen more often than not. Not only on my machine (which I gave up for that reason) but on other's machines as well. So I was just passing on first hand observations and a preference for a superior machine if one could be obtained cheaply enough. But from the looks on ebay (as posted above) you can get two decent 600's for the cost of just one Sizemaster, so the 600 just may be the way to go. Smithy.

Oh, and as others have mentioned, one has to be very careful when loading BP from a plastic hopper, as they tend to build up static electricity and cause your BP to go kaboom.

NOT !!!!

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Oh, and as others have mentioned, one has to be very careful when loading BP from a plastic hopper, as they tend to build up static electricity and cause your BP to go kaboom.

This is not why I use a dipper to measure and add powder!!! If I thought I might have a static electricity problem I would ground the press. Problem solved. I use the dippers because the press had some corrosion issues and BP seems to get it started again.

DD

But if you have a loose chamber or one that has been loosened for purposes of easy extraction, the brass will be able to expand to those larger dimensions at which time the 600 may in fact "shave" brass. I've seen it happen more often than not.

Howdy Again

First off, a chamber should never be opened up. Period. Slight polishing is one thing, opening up the chamber is something else. It only stands to reason that if the chamber has been opened up, the brass will not return to the size that it is supposed to. Cartridge brass is 70% copper and 30% zinc. That formula was arrived at a long time ago because it provides a brass that is easy to cold work when the brass is formed. The second characteristic of cartridge brass is that when the shot is fired, the brass stretches to fill the chamber. But cartridge brass has enough memory that immediately after firing, the brass springs back to close to its original dimension so it can be easily extracted. Back when cartridges were made from copper, this was one of the problems. The copper did not have enough memory, so it stayed expanded and was hard to extract. So if a chamber has been oversized, the brass may well expand to fill the oversized chamber and then not spring back enough to where it is supposed to, to be easily resized.

Slightly countersinking the rear edges of the chamber is a different thing. That is only done to make it easier to shove a shell into the chamber, it is not done for ease of extraction. Done correctly, slightly countersinking the edge will not effect the size of the brass.

I have over 1/2 dozen shotguns that I have loaded shells for with my MEC Jr. None of them has had their chambers opened up, they are all factory. I have never experienced any problem resizing hulls on my MEC Jr for any of my shotguns.

Bought a used Lee Load-All for $20 about 5 years ago, and purchased a set of the Lee dippers. It ain't fast, but it works for me. HINT: If you decide to go with Lee, don't waste your money on the primer feed upgrade. Totally worthless.

Archived