SASS Wire Forum

WTK Is the Grip frame on a USFA SAA the same as Colt SAA

Wild Willi

Is the grip frame on a USFA SAA the same as a Colt SAA and what generation? Is the location pin one of the small ones or a large one? I know the AWAs are close but not the same and the grips do not interchange. Do the grips interchange on a USGA and a Colt?

Anyone tried to switch thes grips? USFA to Colt?

Howdy

I can't tell you about USFA or AWA, but the simple fact is, sometimes grips need to be 'adjusted' a little bit. I have a couple of 2nd Gen Colts. One is wearing 3rd Gen grips because I did not like the wood grips it came with. I had to open up the hole a bit for the little pin in the corner in order to get the 3rd Gen grips to sit correctly on my 2nd Gen Colt.

I don't know about the USFA guns but of the nine Colts in my accumulation, none of the grips will interchange perfectly. Not even with consecutive pairs!

I have owned and shot 2 pairs of USFA revolvers. One pair in 45 Colt and my current pair of 44-40. All were purchased from Jim Finch and IIRC the USFA frame is a copy of the 1st generation guns. I do know that several parts will interchange. The is of course with the old gunsmith's common saying. That is with a little fitting here and there.

Archived