SASS Wire Forum

Want what I want .Birdshead grip

Marshal Max Henry

I have been going through this rigamerol trying to shuk-n-jive to get birdshead grips but i love my Ruger NV's dont really want to get rid of them but neded the money for the Birdshead but maybe i can do something else?

Can I take my plow handles and make them Birdshead gips. I know an excellent Gunsmith who has done this on a S&W 629 but i dont know the ins an outs and the Gunsmith is out of town right now So does anyone know if this can be done so I dont have to sell my lifelong dream guns(Well Colt S.A.A. was but my pockets are not deep enough)

Would anyone want to trade out right? mine are .38 .357

MUch Obliged,

Max Henry

Replace your Ruger plow handles with Ruger birdshead grips.

You may even find someone in the classifieds willing to trade.

Max,

are your plow handles from the New Vaq?

Will the New Vaq grip frame fit the original Vaq frame?

The reason I ask is that I have a set of Vaqs with Birdhead frames and might consider a trade. The grip is stainless with the black panels.

..........Widder

Max,

are your plow handles from the New Vaq?

Will the New Vaq grip frame fit the original Vaq frame?

The reason I ask is that I have a set of Vaqs with Birdhead frames and might consider a trade. The grip is stainless with the black panels.

..........Widder

I think old Vaqs are bigger I wouldnt know how how to switch out frames did you mean you would trade guns for guns?

Max,

I wouldn't trade guns for guns. I was just thinking about the grip frame only.

I've got a friend who has a set of Montados that he wants to trade guns for guns but I preferred to keep my original Vaq and only change out the grip frame.

I'll probably just have to buy a set of grip frames to do what I want to do.

Good luck on your efforts also.

..........Widder

I may take flack over this, but, IMHO the birdshead grip is the worst choice for CAS shooting. Shooting a pistol, regradless of the sport, the grip is everything. Thumbs down for the birdshead.

No flack.

No doubt, the grip is everything. It was a set of OMVs with unmodified Birdhead grips that were used to set the GF record time of a draw and 10 shots in 1.81 seconds. And I might add that its been done in 1.68 using blanks but it's not on video.

..........Widder

Midway and Brownells both have a good stock of Ruger parts. You'll likely find the birdshead grip frame on either one.

Or for something completely different , here's a grip frame that looks like a Colt Lightning:

http://www.gungrip.com/items_558__Ruger.html

I converted a pair of plowhandle OMVs to birdsheads. Love the look, but don't like shooting them as much now. Shooting Duelist, every shot causes the grip to slip. You have to keep readjusting your hold. For two-handed it's fine.

Those Lightning grips look good, I like the brass gripframe.

Or for something completely different , here's a grip frame that looks like a Colt Lightning:

http://www.gungrip.com/items_558__Ruger.html

Kudos to your for spelling "Lightning" correctly. You'd think the folks at GunGrip.com would use a spell checker. :lol: Those grip frames do look good, though.

This is great thank you guys for the help its a little pricey though but easy enough to switch out. Again Much Obliged

Mad Max if these options don't work out for you or in that one case, end up being too much work, take a look at my Ruger Old Army now a 45 LC shopkeepers special.

http://s563.photobucket.com/albums/ss74/5kwkdw3/Ruger%20Old%20Army%20Shopkeepers%20Special/?action=view&current=ONE-1.jpg

My smith just added some stainless weld (filler) to each side of the grip frame where the new cut was to be made (I don't weld) and handed it back to me. I then took a very fine cut off blade and carefully got close to my profile, finishing it off with a 3M wheel then polishing with Flitz polish. After that I sent it to.

http://www.truivory.com/

Bar S Grips for some Tru Ivory grips for this one off production, and it came out exactly the way I had hoped for not costing me very much at all. Smithy.

I may take flack over this, but, IMHO the birdshead grip is the worst choice for CAS shooting. Shooting a pistol, regradless of the sport, the grip is everything. Thumbs down for the birdshead.

Hey Seven, They seem to be working fine for me. I love my Birdsheads and I shoot pretty quick with em too. Hope to see you out soon so you can see.

JEL

Mad Max, sent you a PM with some pic's. Hope this helps. Smithy.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

I have swapped a fair bunch of Ruger SA gripframes. Supers Blackhawks to Single Sixes to Birdheads to Bisleys.

The worst part of almost every one was to file and polish match to fit well. Some have been a real bit** to fit nicely!!

Mustang Gregg

(Amatuer gripframe swapper)

Thanks for all you Pards help. I must tell you now that after all your efforts I got a pair of Ruger Single Six .32 SS and I love them for GF or DD when i shoot FC When are we going to have FC/GF :o lol

MMH,

My son has a pair of Old Model Vaqueros, Blue CCH, .357 Mag, with Birdsheads grips. I don't know if he has any interest in getting rid of them, but he might trade for the New Model Vaqueros.

If that is what you are looking for, let me know and I will ask him. If so, you will probably want to find a pair of the grip panels, as he had his Alias and a 4-leaf clover engraved on the right side of one and the left side of the other.

Smithy,

That Old Army is very cool!

Archived