SASS Wire Forum

New to SASS and need a lever rifle in .357. Recommendations?

Hopalong Strong

I'm new to Sass and would love your insight.

What would be a good lever rifle in 357? I have a pre 64 winchester 1894 in 30-30 and I love it but that won't work for SASS.

I want 357 since my Blackhawks are in 357. However if another cal is far superior I could use that. I cast and load my own bullets so another caliber would not be a huge hardship.

I am just starting and don't want to spend a fortune but I also do no want something that I will only use for a year because it is crappy. It does not have to be new. I don't mind hunting for what I want.

Thoughts

Get a Marlin, either the 1894C carbine or the Cowboy Limited. They are good out of the box, but not great. With a little work they are better. I have a '73 and a couple '66s. Yes, they're great too, but for starting out I recommend the Marlin. You can always sell it later and get something else, like a '73.

I wrote this earlier this evening. If you can afford it, go with a tuned 73 or 66.

If you have not been to matches, go before you buy anything. Read the previous sentence at least three times. By being well informed and knowing what feels good in your hands, you will save money in the long run.

Marlin Cowboy or 1873 repro.

Marlin is stronger, but not as fast for most shooters, without considerable tweaking.

73 is probably the best rifle for this game, but you will probably want it short stroked - it;s just sooo nice. This is a pricey option, but as daddy said, "Do it right, and do it once."

Going to matches will present you with a bewildering array of choices and opinions, but these are the best options available for SASS. .357 is fine, as is .38. These are the most common calibers in SASS, and as Charlie said, above, it'll save you some money in powder, brass, and lead.

Cheers, and welcome aboard,

FJT

The Marlin is definitely the way to go. Historically the '66 yellowboy and the '73 have been considered by most to be slightly fastest, but they are twice the price and twice as likely to suffer malfunctions. I say historically because if current top shooter, Deuce Stevens, continues to win using his Marlin minds may change.

There is no quick answer here. Each rifle has it's own strengths and weakness.

The correct answer would be for you to go to a few local matches and let some of the cowboys loan you their rifles (and ammo)to try.

If you are smart you will let them know you are coming so they can bring "an extra" along just for that purpose.

Since you are shooting .357 caliber, you can shoot any category except Classic Cowboy. If you should desire to shoot B Western then your cannot use a Henry, 1866 or 1873 rifle.

Try them all, Henry, 1866, 1873, 1892, A marlin, A Henry Big Boy, and a Lightning. All come in .357 caliber (The 1866 is only in 38 special). All can be very made to be reliable and quick with varying degrees of work. Pick one that you like and then invest your money.

Over time you will probably have at least two or more of them.

I agree that it is what YOU want. Try each of them out and make up YOUR mind which one is best for you.

But, if we must, here are some things off the top of my head,

73 Pros

Very Fast

Considered by many as the Cadillac of Cowboy rifles

Reliable

Readily available new and used

Many variations and options with barrel length, stock configurations

Holds 10 plus rounds

Easy to sell used

73 Cons

Expensive

Ejects rounds out of the top of the receiver (you get use to the hits on the hat)

No ejector, only inertia (works well normally)

Parts often hard to obtain, some darn near impossible (long wait from Italy)

1866 has loading gate problem Uberti will not address (plan on buying a new one)

Marlin Pros

Half the cost of a 73

Been around a long time

Reliable

Light and more compact (ladies like its overall feel and length)

Holds 10 plus rounds (not in carbine configuration)

Easier to slick up and modify for the home smith

Most parts easy to obtain

Lots of aftermarket parts

Easy to sell used

Not made in Italy

Already has a short stroke

Marlin Cons

Limited number of configurations

Occasional problem with the carrier (Marlin Jam)

Not readily available in many areas (Marlin production has moved and reestablishing itself)

I just got into SASS a few months ago. I did all of the reseach and decided that the Marlin was the best bang for the buck. After looking for one for a couple of months and not finding one in .357, I bought a '73. For whatever reason, the Marlins in .357/.38 are extremely hard to find right now.

Thank you al for this information. Based on my reading the SASS group (Bristol plains Pistoleros) that is based out of my home range (Bristol, WI) does not have any activities until May. And of course I have to be out of town that weekend (dad's 83 birthday).

Here in the great white north I suspect there is not much SASS going on in the winter. I shoot every weekend but not everyone likes shooting outdoors in the winter. I figures if I have to wait until June to try this out I should have my gear ready. That being said it is good advice to try things out first.

I have some thinking to do. Thanks again.

I would suggest going to a match at a local club. There you will be able to see, handle and probably shoot some of the guns commonly used in SASS. The feel of a particular firearm can be very important. Things like weight, drop of the stock and barrel length can make a difference to large or small shooters. You will also probably meet some very nice people who will be more than happy to help you get started.

Welcome aboard

McKenzie

So far all the SASS shooters i have met have been extremely nice.

This weekend I went to a local reenactment fest where people sold gear from all time periods and cultures. There was one guy at the event with western period gear. I started chatting with him because i was looking for some trousers. Turns out he was a SASS member. We talked about cowboy shooting and I told him I was looking to get involved. He gave me some helpful suggestions about where it is happening in our area. I then selected a pair to buy and he would not take full price for them. He gave me a 25% discount That was very welcoming to me. Based on that I came to this forum. I like a group that is welcoming to new members. I've done historical reenactment for 25 years and this spinels like something I will enjoy.

I've been shooting a Marlin for 6 years. I just got my new 73.

I love it!

I will keep the Marlin for the matches I want to shoot BWestern but for the most part....

I will be shooting the 73....much smoother...fewer hiccups

So far all the SASS shooters i have met have been extremely nice.

This weekend I went to a local reenactment fest where people sold gear from all time periods and cultures. There was one guy at the event with western period gear. I started chatting with him because i was looking for some trousers. Turns out he was a SASS member. We talked about cowboy shooting and I told him I was looking to get involved. He gave me some helpful suggestions about where it is happening in our area. I then selected a pair to buy and he would not take full price for them. He gave me a 25% discount That was very welcoming to me. Based on that I came to this forum. I like a group that is welcoming to new members. I've done historical reenactment for 25 years and this spinels like something I will enjoy.

We are all nice :->

Welcome!!!

Rember with a Marlin you can use either a .38 or .357 in the same rifle with out changing anything. In a 66 0r 73 you can't change from .38 to .357 with out changing out or modifying the carrier.

I'm not sure about a 92, but suspect it could be aproblem in that respect also.

Footloose

I am just starting and don't want to spend a fortune but I also do no want something that I will only use for a year because it is crappy. It does not have to be new. I don't mind hunting for what I want.

Thoughts

Marlin and Winchester/Rossi 92 answer this best. An earlier thread showed Marlins at Cabelas on sale for $549 I do believe. '92's can be had new in the $500 range new as well with used ones from $250-$400 range.

66/73 tuned right is for most folk the fastest but its the priciest. '73 is my main match rifle. Built for speed and competition, but I expect something to break or strip out.

Well tuned Marlin smooth, reliable, strong, affordable. Above all dependable. I grew up with Marlin rifles. Always found them best American made lever gun. A '94 Marlin equals a 66/73 in my mind if properly tuned, but not everyone can run them as fast as they could a 66/73. I finished a match a couple of weeks ago when my 73 failed. I was so impressed I found me one in 44-40 a few days later and hope to have it next week. My kids will graduate from a Henry .22 to a Marlin.

Well tuned '92 smooth, reliable, strong, affordable. To me, by far the best handling in terms of weight and balance. I sold mine when it wore out and I tired of replacing parts. It was well abused and worn when I got it. At $225, it was a great start. It now serves as a hunting/plinking rifle for a friend. I will likely buy another.

As far as cartridge selection, 38 not once entered my mind but it is a great choice. But I am a black powder shooter that like big bores. Thus 44 Russian, 44 Special, 44 Mag and 44-40 are for me. As for black powder, 44-40 has no equal (well, maybe 38-40).

Good luck my friend.

DDD

As far as cartridge selection, 38 not once entered my mind but it is a great choice. But I am a black powder shooter that like big bores. Thus 44 Russian, 44 Special, 44 Mag and 44-40 are for me. As for black powder, 44-40 has no equal (well, maybe 38-40).

I also love the big bores. I have a collection of antique 19th century military rifles. I shoot a German Mauser 1871 (43 cal), a Mauser 1871/84 (also 43 cal), A martini Henry (577/450), a model 1873 Springfield trapdoor carbine (45-70) as well as several others from ther period with smaller bores. none of these would be suitable for SASS though (at least as I understand it).

Rember with a Marlin you can use either a .38 or .357 in the same rifle with out changing anything. In a 66 0r 73 you can't change from .38 to .357 with out changing out or modifying the carrier.

Footloose

Where did that factoid come from about a 73??

Footloose

Everybody that I know, including me, shoots .38 in a '73. As long as the .38's aren't too short, they will cycle fine.

Any rifle you shoot in matches with 38s for any length of time will probably hiccup with 357s due to leading unless you 'get the lead out'

I love my Jimmy Spurs tuned Marlin, I shot Marlins, 66s and 73s before I bought, the Marlin was the best for me. Of course now that I've been at it a couple of years, I'd like to add a well tuned 73 to my collection as well...

Grizz

One other con for the Marlin is if you are left handed. If you cant the rifle to the right as many lefties do it will jam up. It does not have a controled feed.

Being as I am a lefty.... I went with a

I also love the big bores. I have a collection of antique 19th century military rifles. I shoot a German Mauser 1871 (43 cal), a Mauser 1871/84 (also 43 cal), A martini Henry (577/450), a model 1873 Springfield trapdoor carbine (45-70) as well as several others from ther period with smaller bores. none of these would be suitable for SASS though (at least as I understand it).

I heard the 43 mauser to be a fine BP cartridge.

These rifles are not legal for most categories but the Martini and Trapdoor are good for Plainsman, Renegade and Buffalo rifle/long range side matches so sure,you can use them for SASS in certain situations. Check your local clubs. I use a Rolling Block in Renegade category. Its particularly fun to shoot single shots in a match along with your revolvers and shotgun. It can become more of an endurance contest at that point.

One other con for the Marlin is if you are left handed. If you cant the rifle to the right as many lefties do it will jam up. It does not have a controled feed.

That is a point to ponder I never considered. Thanks for that tidbit.

Chuckaroo left one out (yes on purpose), but I like it all the same and that's a Rossi 1892. They can be had for 500 or less in your caliber but I've been told that they get finicky with 38's and need help from Nate Jones to resolve that issue. Mine is in 45 LC so no problems here with feeding and such. It is a stout gun and can handle a stout loading if you so chose. First and foremost though, like Buck D. Law said "If you have not been to matches, go before you buy anything." You may get a hint at your local dealer (if he/she stocks the variety you're after), but there's nothing like sending a few rounds down range. Shooters at a local match will be more than happy to show off their pride and joy to someone interested in buying the same piece of gear. Smithy.

I have two 92s ,they are slicked up by Nate.I have never ever had a hang up or hi-cup. My OAL of my rounds are 1.53 and they run as fast as you can lever it.Maybe some day I can out run my 92s but I cant now.

When was the last time the world championship or national championship of SASS was won with a 92? Lately the winners have been mostly 73 shooters with a recent notable exception of a Marlin. The same can probably be said of Regionals and most state championships.

Interesting, I'm left handed and have not noticed a problem, then again I might have experienced it and written it off as something else...

Marlins (and model 92's) vary in their ability to accept different length cartridges.

Some will feed either 38 Special or 357 Mag length cartridges just fine.

But most seem to have a preference for one or the other. Generally a length of a little over 1.4 inches helps.

The design of both rifles is a compromise. The stop is build into the cartridge carrier.

The toggle Link rifles (66, 73 and Henry) use the cartridge as a cartridge stop for the next shell. So is is not length critical - as long as the shell reaches the beginning of the bevel on the front of the carrier.

A few older models of the 66 and some 73's had a slightly shorter bevel, so they didn't always work with shorter cartridges.

So the statement that Marlins can take both lengths is only true for some rifles. And that the 66 & 73's are almost always more forgiving to cartridge length.

Archived