SASS Wire Forum

Another "You Make The Call"

Harman Hammer, SASS #20214

Pistols with 5 each, Rifle with 10, SG 4+. The order is rifle, pistols, SG. At the beep shooter draws pistol & cocks. TO & spotters yell Rifle. Shooter stops.

Now the question:

Since the shooter did not send a round down range can the shooter start over without penalty, or must they fire the round/gun and take the P?

Let's hear the comments... Then let's hear from the horse's mouth. :unsure::unsure:

Shooter may ask for a restart, then wait for the TO to give him permission to de-cock, make it safe and then start over.

Cheyenne

Restarts shall be allowed for a competitor to achieve a "clean" start up to the point at which the first round goes down range.

Multiple restarts by the same shooter, that in the judgment of the R.O. are seen to be taking advantage, will not be entertained

as they are not in the spirit of the game.

No round down range, so yes, a restart is permitted. Granted at the OPTION of the RO. RO is not required to give the restart, especially if this is the second time the shooter made the mistake. RO is within their rights to say, you're on the clock, fire at a pistol target or down range and take your P.

If reshoot is granted, the RO must give permission to safely decock and reindex, or to discharge the round under the hammer safely down range, then to unloading table and reload at the loading table. If shooter is shook up, though, send them to unloading table for a "head reset".

Good luck, GJ

Shooter may ask for a restart, then wait for the TO to give him permission to de-cock, make it safe and then start over.

Cheyenne

What Cheyenne said.

RO I page 16

7. De-cocking may not be done to avoid a penalty if cocked at the wrong time, position or location once a round has gone down range. NO gun may be de-cocked on the firing line except by pointing it down range and pulling the trigger or while under the direct supervision of the Timer Operator. The penalty for de-cocking is a Stage Disqualification.

8. Once a revolver is cocked, the round under the hammer must be expended in order for it to be returned to a safe condition.

RO I page 23 Restarts

Restarts shall be allowed for a competitor to achieve a “clean” start, up to the point at which the first round goes down range.

Jefro :ph34r:

No round down range, so yes, a restart is permitted. Granted at the OPTION of the RO. RO is not required to give the restart, especially if this is the second time the shooter made the mistake. RO is within their rights to say, you're on the clock, fire at a pistol target or down range and take your P.

If reshoot is granted, the RO must give permission to safely decock and reindex, or to discharge the round under the hammer safely down range, then to unloading table and reload at the loading table. If shooter is shook up, though, send them to unloading table for a "head reset".

Good luck, GJ

So where in the rules does it say a shooter only gets a single restart. I can't find it anywhere. I have had an RO tell me once, you are on the clock I don't give anyone a restart(I had not abused the restart before), so I walked to the unloading table and came back to loading table/shoot when another RO was running the timer. When no round has gone down range, there is lots of flexibility for both shooter and RO (unless the shooter is abusing the restart situation).

So where in the rules does it say a shooter only gets a single restart. I can't find it anywhere. I have had an RO tell me once, you are on the clock I don't give anyone a restart(I had not abused the restart before), so I walked to the unloading table and came back to loading table/shoot when another RO was running the timer. When no round has gone down range, there is lots of flexibility for both shooter and RO (unless the shooter is abusing the restart situation).

+1

the RO does not have that control. the shooter get a restart here. this in not a "i didnt grab my sg shells right" for the eigth time situation.

CC

Exactly in the section already quoted. (Page 21, Shooter's Handbook - Multiple restarts by the same shooter, that in the judgment of the R.O. are seen to be taking advantage, will not be entertained as they are not in the spirit of the game.) Rule you are questioning was added at 2009 Convention, if I remember right. There IS lots of flexibility in the situation in this post. Unless the shooter is abusing the restart, a reshoot should be granted, as was stated. Rule book does not call out a magic number at which "abuse of the restart" begins. Left up to the judgment of the RO. But, the rules make it VERY hard to be "a hard ass" on the FIRST time a shooter picks up and cocks the wrong gun to start.

Picking and choosing your RO is a sad thing to have to do. Having an RO who says he will never grant a reshoot for a flubbed start before a round goes down range is a sad thing to see. Sometimes life is full of sadness.

Good luck, GJ

Just for clarification.... No Gaming was involved... Nice lady... Fairly new shooter... The excercise question here was for the benifit of the (fairly new) TO/RO II assisting the shooter, and others here on the wire that might encounter the same situation in the future.

Thanks for the replies.

Hammer

Archived