SASS Wire Forum

Air compressor for the reloading bench?

Matthew Duncan

For an air compressor, I was looking at some "pancake style units.

How much better is an oil filled versus "oil-less?"

I have a small 1.5 gal Coleman power mate in my reloading room. great for blowing down my presses. Also carry it on the road for large matches and cleaning guns.

I have 2 good oil less compressors that I use daily and they have lasted for now 6 yrs, a Ridged an a Bostich. Some days when we're laying plywood with 2 framing guns going the comp. will almost run nonstop. I doubt an oil less will have any trouble keeping up wid reloadin room use.

RRR

What would be the feasibility (for MY purposes) of putting a compressor in my attic over my garage and then plumbing air outlets to a couple of places around the area? A switch to turn the compressor on from the workshop and airhose at each outlet. How would a compressor do in the attic (to save space and dampen noise) with the heat?

What would be the feasibility (for MY purposes) of putting a compressor in my attic over my garage and then plumbing air outlets to a couple of places around the area? A switch to turn the compressor on from the workshop and airhose at each outlet. How would a compressor do in the attic (to save space and dampen noise) with the heat?

It ain't gonna be especially happy with the extra heat.

Better to build ya a "dog coop" on the north side of the building (out of the sun) to house the compressor. Good overhang on the roof, well screened to keep critters out..... Then plumb yer building all ya like. DO use ball shut-off valves at the air stations so ya don't have leaks driving ya nuts.

Lotta gas stations use the small oilless type these days (the outfits using air only for tires, convenient marts, etc) and mount the comp on the back or side wall in a box with a diamond screen front.

Better to build ya a "dog coop" on the north side of the building (out of the sun) to house the compressor.

Don't really have the room for that. Saw a friends garage set up with a little platform near the roof with a little pancake compressor. That might be an option, just to get it off the floor. I wouldn't be using it all that much, I could live with replacing the compressor every 5-10 years if it were a cheap one. Would the heat in a central Texas attic kill a compressor that fast?

Last summer I bought a ultrasonic cleaner. I was pleasantly surprised how well it clenaed!

What I didn't care for was the hauling the water based clean gun up thru the kitchen, washroom, garage, across the backyard to the shop to use the air compressor to dry it off.

So I'm sitting here thinking about the 2011 CAS season will be starting soon (HALLAUHA!) and cleaning guns. I "need" another air compressor for the reloading room! Something small and quiet, got me to thinking about my very brief time in RC airplane building era. An airbrush compressor!

So what do y'all think, something like this: <Click Here>

Here you go 25 bucks plus shipping

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200319119_200319119

or this one for 35

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200319121_200319121

Last summer I bought a ultrasonic cleaner. I was pleasantly surprised how well it clenaed!

What I didn't care for was the hauling the water based clean gun up thru the kitchen, washroom, garage, across the backyard to the shop to use the air compressor to dry it off.

So I'm sitting here thinking about the 2011 CAS season will be starting soon (HALLAUHA!) and cleaning guns. I "need" another air compressor for the reloading room! Something small and quiet, got me to thinking about my very brief time in RC airplane building era. An airbrush compressor!

So what do y'all think, something like this: <Click Here>

These are quiet when they run...But they run when you need them...Air pressure not real high...Great for air bushing...Used one for about ten years on old photographs...Did copy and restoration for about 15 years...Darkroom and the retouching...They are good for the money, but what are your real needs?? Same money gets you more pressure and holding tank, but you also get the noise...There are quiet compressors but cost more...

Texas Lizard

Archived