SASS Wire Forum

Air compressor for the reloading bench?

Matthew Duncan

Last summer I bought a ultrasonic cleaner. I was pleasantly surprised how well it clenaed!

What I didn't care for was the hauling the water based clean gun up thru the kitchen, washroom, garage, across the backyard to the shop to use the air compressor to dry it off.

So I'm sitting here thinking about the 2011 CAS season will be starting soon (HALLAUHA!) and cleaning guns. I "need" another air compressor for the reloading room! Something small and quiet, got me to thinking about my very brief time in RC airplane building era. An airbrush compressor!

So what do y'all think, something like this: <Click Here>

Matthew could you get away with one of the rechargeable portable cannisters instead? Fill it off your current one and haul it out to the shop, might be cheaper. Mention it as we are looking at getting another star lube/sizer and have the current one hooked up to a compressor now but I dont have one of those tools at my place. Suggestion was made to get one of the tanks and charge ir on the compressor as needed.

Good Idea!!! I've been using canned air. An airbrush compressor would save that expense.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Or you could get a small 110 volt 20gal compressor that would give you a little more preasure and volume. Also one of the small contractor grade air compressors that contractors use for their nail guns.

What about the noise when it's running?

What about the noise when it's running?

Matt, the noise can be a PITA. So,

* Compressor in another room separated by a wall

* Wall switch to turn the compressor on where you plan to use the air

* Air disconnect installed in wall connected to the compressor

* Pistol type air gun connected to hose that is connected to the disconnect

............ or ...........

Just buy a few cans of canned air at Harbor Freight ;)

Me and a pard were going to home depot one day and discussed looking at air compressors while we were there. Well we walks in the door and rite inside is a table with a Husky,100 psi 2 1/2 gal. compressor,price 44.95.

We each garbed one as we both just started using our Star lubesizers,with air pressure lube reservoir. Had them about three months now and don't know how I got along without one this long. Adios Sgt. Jake

Just to throw in a totally different thought...

move the ultrasonic cleaner out to the shop.

I have an air tank about the size of a propane tank, I fill it from the compressor and have air to go, alot easier than dragging a compressor around when the tractor tire is flat in the shed or whatever.

I have a small tank compressor in the gun room and it drops below tank pressure pretty quickly and not long after that it becomes very low pressure until it has time to catch up. The actual compressor is a fair bit larger and higher in output than is an air brush machine. I do not think you will like it where pressure is needed to get into the guns internal parts. Since I have no experience with the little tiny compressors so I am guessing somewhat.

Matt, the noise can be a PITA. So,

* Compressor in another room separated by a wall

Reloading room is in the house. Think the wife would like the air compressor running in her kitchen?

How bout run some PVC from the compressor to the reloading room.

Shop is about 200 feet from the house and across a ditch... :(

Last summer I bought a ultrasonic cleaner. I was pleasantly surprised how well it clenaed!

What I didn't care for was the hauling the water based clean gun up thru the kitchen, washroom, garage, across the backyard to the shop to use the air compressor to dry it off.

So I'm sitting here thinking about the 2011 CAS season will be starting soon (HALLAUHA!) and cleaning guns. I "need" another air compressor for the reloading room! Something small and quiet, got me to thinking about my very brief time in RC airplane building era. An airbrush compressor!

I use the cans of air, get them by the 6 pack on sale at where ever.

...move the ultrasonic cleaner out to the shop.

I have an air tank about the size of a propane tank, I fill it from the compressor and have air to go, alot easier than dragging a compressor around when the tractor tire is flat in the shed or whatever.

Shop is uninsulated and unheated.

Portable air tank, reverse problem...haul thru garage, washroom, kitchen and down the stairs.

I've got one of these: Craftsman Compressor I actually bought mine on Ebay for $60.

Intersting...this would running in the house....what's the sound level like on your Craftsman?

Hitachi EC12. One of the very best in its price range. A diaphragm pump such as would be used with an airbrush is going to have neither the pressure nor the volume to do what you want it to do.

You're filling a tractor tire with a converted 20lb propane bottle?? That's an awfully small tractor (lawn & garden "tractor") or you're somehow getting that bottle up to 500 - 1000+ lbs of pressure.

J Bar, it is not a converted propane tank, just roughly the same size.

And yes, a lawn tractor tire :D Don't need anything bigger here in the city.

"Real" tractors tires require 500-1000 lbs of pressure? I had no idea.

EDIT, oh, maybe it needs that kind of volume. I'm a bit slow tonight.

Matthew,

I bought a An airbrush compressor! 65lb psi. Recharges quickly in seconds. QUIET also. I have it between the work benches. Just like the one in your picture. I bought it for the leather side of the shop for air brushing leather projects. I have 7 loading presses set up. Its great for blowing the presses from time to time. I bought mine at Harbor Frieght comes with Airbrush Kit on sale. I love it. Also Harbor has one like mine with 58psi & airgun kit on their web site on sale.

Rev

wow

I thought all reloading rooms had one

geeeeeese :wacko:

mine is a small one "husky" from h depot

it makes enough noise to wake up john wayne

Mike,

Maybe some of us -- are not as messy as you.

Rev

Intersting...this would running in the house....what's the sound level like on your Craftsman?

Howdy Matt,

Very low, and it recovers pressure quickly. One of my daughters is a professional makeup artist and uses hers to do makeup for HD filming and she turned me on to it. Lightweight and very portable. I also carry it with me when I'm hauling the trailer so I can keep tires up to road pressure.

Get an air tank like you would carry in your truck for tires and quick connect/retrofit the end for a sprayer or tire chuck. Already has a carry handle, and you fill it from your regular tank. Still use it for the truck if need be, and it makes little noise.

Matthew, I dunno how far your shop is from the garage, but consider running air between the two. If that is out, then I suggest ya build a little "dog coop" on an outside wall of your shop, install a real compressor inside, and run the air through the wall into the shop. I bought an 8 gallon, 125 psi OIL TYPE (no noisy oilless for me), that lives in the garage, and the short 10 ft distance between the two buildings I airmailed the hose (suspended it from a piece of cable, covered it with foam "noodles" to prevent condensation from sunshine) to get the air from the garage to the shop.

Air is one of those "cry once" deals. Spend the dough to get the volume and pressure once, and have something that6 really works..... I can run a zip saw or a sander or a roof nailer off mine, as well as have air for days when cleaning guns, my press, etc. The compressor was only $139 on sale at HF, and has served well for two years.

For an air compressor, I was looking at some "pancake style units.

How much better is an oil filled versus "oil-less?"

Depends on the intended use, but an oil-less compressor will not last as long, but will still last many years.

I have had a little porter cable pancake compressor for many years and have used it for cabinetry, siding work, framing, installing wood flooring, rebuilding a boat and working on cars. It is less than pristine and the auto shut off feature intermittently works, but it still runs like a champ.

For an air compressor, I was looking at some "pancake style units.

How much better is an oil filled versus "oil-less?"

Old fashioned oil type are far better in terms of longevity and in terms of noise level. I know of no compressor anybody'd accuse of being quiet, but the oilless jobbers generally run at higher RPMs and make a racket that is beyond funny if yer stuck inside the same structure with one.

I put my oil type cast iron compressor in the garage, enclosed in a space under the bench soundproofed with 1" foam on sides and top (front is open for cooling), and at the other end of 50' of line, (in my shop which is behind the garage but not attached to it), I can't hear it run unless I really pay attention.

Some day, for the ultimate in lazy, I'm gonna run wire and a relay for remote start from the shop. For now I have to schlep a whole 50 ft to turn it on, Har!

I used to use an artist's airbrush in my graphic design work. It's similar to the one you show, Matt. The one I have is relatively quiet.

The downside to these things after about 15 minutes or so of continuous use, condensation can build up in the hose between the compressor and nozzle. Everything would be going great and without warning, it would spit water on my art. The solution is an in-line water trap filter, but those can fill up if you don't watch them.

Archived