SASS Wire Forum

Trevor Bayne Wins Daytona

Cypress Sun

Kool !!!

A different race that was for sure!!

Now, for the "Real" racing...restrictor plate racing is stupid!!

Someone need to tell Nascar to ban Robby Gordon, he has caused way too many crashes for too many years!!

I agree he caused 5 today!!!!

put him back to open road BA-HA and the like then he can do himself in.

Jack, I could not agree more, Robby has caused way too many over the years. That 2X2 crap really was poor racing. At the end I was thinking if Stewart couldn't win, it would be really neat for the kid to win. I thought being out front he would be toast, but he held on. A different Daytona for sure. Like you said, now let's get to the real racing and no restrictor plates!

If this type of tandem racing becomes the future of NASCAR, the TV ratings will drop a whole bunch. Having your future in the race totally dependent on finding someone to push you around the track all afternoon sucks. This from a 45 year plus race fan. It was nice to see a new name win tho! Congratulations to the Wood Brothers.

I don't like restrictor plate racing at all!

With that said, I enjoyed today's race more than any other restrictor plate race I've seen in the last 20 years.

I'd much rather watch drivers have to team up and have multiple pairs racing for positions than to have two long lines with everybody scared to pull out - knowing if they pulled out they would fall back to the end of the longest line.

Well my guy (Harvick) blowed his motor early in this 500 so I was then kinda pulling for Junior to win it. Who can complain when an underdog like the Wood Brothers using a driver making only his SECOND start wins such a sought after event? I sure cant. It was awesome to see the Wood Brothers get back to victory lane when they could have packed up up years ago.

First and foremost... I'm an Earnhardt guy, have been since 1978. Today Jr. had a good run with a lot of positive things coming to the forefront. Trevor Bayne(?) winning was really a feel good moment. He ran a flawless race and was smart throughout. Hope the kid has a good career and stays the way he is now, be good for NASCAR. Seeing that ol number 21 with that red, white and gold paint was really kewl

I'm an old school Earnhardt fan, having said that, this kid showed a lot of moxy for a 20 year old. Carl Edwards had a good run on him, and he was smart enough to drop down and block. So, from this hard core Chevy fan, congratulatilons to him and the Wood Brothers.

P.S. I used to HATE the Wood Brothers, that rascal Pearson would ride around all day until it was money time, and then just drive up front and run away. Seriously, he was a legandary driver too....

Got home from the range in time to see the last 20 laps and saw the red & white 21 car and thought " that looks like David Pearson's car".

It was good to see someone new in victory lane and for the Wood Brothers to win again.

Brought back a lot of great memories from when NASCAR ran "stock car" bodies.

Trevor Bayne driving the #21 Wood Brothers car won the Daytona 500 today. It just goes to show.........anyone can win on any given day. Congrats to the 20 year old rookie.

And, what's NASCAR got to do with CAS. Post this on the Saloon!

LL'

LL'

It has as much to do with CAS as a lot stuff that gets posted here has. Most folks never read the Saloon any way. If you are not interested, don't open it.

LL'

As much, if not more, than that that butt-ugly car in in the banner. As long as that's up there I figure the space program and sci-fi movies are open for discussion.

That 2x2x2 business is nonsense. NASCAR's much ballyhooed comeback will die a-bornin' if they can't figger a way to nip that silliness in the bud. Real neat to see the Wood brothers team back in victory lane. They are responsible for the fast pit stop concept taking hold and revolutionizing all types of racing.

Yea and he was driving a Ford!

Ditto - great for the sport - I really liked what he had to say afterward too! Straight up mature young man - God bless America!

GG ~ :FlagAm:

LL'

What has NASCAR got to do with CAS? Not one darn thing. It's just a real life feel good story about a kid out of nowhere, a has been/broken down car owner that wins the great American race in Daytona. What more is not to like? A dedicated (just not rich) car owner who have not won Daytona since 1976, but fields a car every year. A 20 year old kid with only one Cup race under his belt, beats the best that racing has to offer. That's what to like.

I talk to alot of pards at matches, alot of them like racing.....in particular NASCAR. I thought this race to be of interest to many pards around the country hence the post. Sorry if you didn't like it, but you can't please everyone all the time.

CS

Anyone going to Phoenix for Winter Range going to the Subway 600 race. I mentioned it and my wife said I should do it, but I don't feel like going all by myself. On my bucket list, I have seeing a Nascar race in person, if only once, just to say I have. I might try to make the Las Vegas race later though.

Harvick is my guy, since he is from my hometown. He was the best choice at the time to replace Earnhardt and he knows the ropes and is very respective of Dale and the opportunity he got to get into the big cars. He gets a lot of bad press for actually being a nice guy.

I can see this kid Bayne being the next great driver, but probably not with Woods Brothers, he needs to get picked up by Roush or one of the big teams. :)

LL'

LL,

They give SAA's as part of the trophy package at the Texas race (actually I think they are Beretta's). They also give the pole winner a gorgeous engraved O/U they have to wait a year on, the engraving also is engraved with a likeness of the winner. That's as close to SASS as I can equate it, but like Cypress Sun said it is a great feel good story. I hope the kid gets a long term ride with a good team.

Howdy Doody, that is a great deal if you can pull it off Winter Range and PIR the same week, good Luck! Envious!

My big gripe with NASCAR is; 2/3 scale cars that don't exist, and placement of engines and drivelines that don't exist in those models. Nascar has pissed all over the men that started Stock Car Racing. Kind of like calling IPSC pistols "practical". I use to know several drivers and I grew up watching real cars that could be purchased and modified to run on super speedway tracks. One of my teachers drove back in the 50's and told us lots of stories. Today NASCAR is all about money, it used to be about the love of racing. B)

I enjoyed watching gray haired, middle aged men, with beer guts, duke it out after a race. Now the pretty boys get fined for cussing at each other.

The kid that won Daytona did appear to be a good kid, good luck to him.

Hey Klondike, how you been? :)

LL'

LL,

We've been good, can't say great , a little heaalth issues but better, not traveling anymore.

I have to agree with you about the looks of the cars, I do wish they looked more like showroom cars. I understand the safety needs, I really do, but at least look like something we recognize. Run what you brung philosophy. I don't care for the cookie cutter "pretty boys" either, but since "have at it boys", it has gotten better. Yarborough and Allison, would be refreshing! And when did they start with all the coverage with the Crew Chief and crew members, can you imagine back in the day some of the things that would have been said :unsure: , those boys were smart and sharp about cars, but not real house broke.

I'm gonna catch a lot of static over this statement but Earnhardt is a punk! I was a big Jr. fan but since he left DEI he drives "safe" all the time. There was a time he drove like Kyle (Rowdy) Busch, always up on the wheel, but now it looks like he is just making laps. As they say on the Rodeo circuit "Winners make things happen, losers let things happen". I have noticed in the last couple of years Jr. keep saying "it just happened" alot. Right now, I don't really have anyone to root for and even thought Jimmy is a super nice guy, I can't get excited about him at all. Maybe I will go out and buy a "21" tee shirt now.

I'm gonna catch a lot of static over this statement but Earnhardt is a punk! I was a big Jr. fan but since he left DEI he drives "safe" all the time. There was a time he drove like Kyle (Rowdy) Busch, always up on the wheel, but now it looks like he is just making laps. As they say on the Rodeo circuit "Winners make things happen, losers let things happen". I have noticed in the last couple of years Jr. keep saying "it just happened" alot. Right now, I don't really have anyone to root for and even thought Jimmy is a super nice guy, I can't get excited about him at all. Maybe I will go out and buy a "21" tee shirt now.

You'll get no flak from me. Although I wasn't a fan of Earnhardt Sr, he was a true race car driver. Jr is just a personality. Hendrick would be better off to keep Mark Martin and get rid of Jr to make room for Kahne. I'm not too much of a fan for this new "love bug" style racing at the plate track either........take the plates off, raise the fences, take 3" off the rear spoiler and raise that front air dam up 3". No one in their right mind will be able to drive around the track flat footed and you'll see alot better racing.

You'll get no flak from me. Although I wasn't a fan of Earnhardt Sr, he was a true race car driver. Jr is just a personality. Hendrick would be better off to keep Mark Martin and get rid of Jr to make room for Kahne. I'm not too much of a fan for this new "love bug" style racing at the plate track either........take the plates off, raise the fences, take 3" off the rear spoiler and raise that front air dam up 3". No one in their right mind will be able to drive around the track flat footed and you'll see alot better racing.

And here I thought I might be the only one that felt this way. Senior was a hell of a driver, but not my favorite. I think it has been well proven, Hendrick equipment and crews are not the problem (some of the best), Junior is just not the driver his Dad was. I think a lot of people would like to see NASCAR turn the cars loose like you said Sun. JJ and his crew chief are almost too nice. After getting caught a few years ago, Knaus is toeing the mark and being non-controversial. It is not NASCAR that most of us were raised on, to nicey, nicey, syrupy even. Of all to break loose last year Jeff Gordon, go figure, almost a fight with Burton!:lol:

Archived