SASS Wire Forum

Auto Safety on SxS

Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663

If you are already used to taking the safety off everytime you shoulder the gun, then it probably doesn't slow you down any. Leave the auto safety stock if it makes you happy.

Since the only time I will ever shoot a double is in SASS, I have no need for the safety so I disabled the auto feature.

Right - I respect folks who do what THEY WANT TO DO in this regard.

Good points on both sides of the aisle..

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I was talking to a police chief yesterday before the match and he was going to shoot Wild Bunch. He said that he wasn't sure he wanted to shoot Wild Bunch too much since his service carry weapon is a 1911 and he didn't want to get into any bad habits shooting Wild Bunch that conflicts with how he carries on the job.

Just out of curiosity, what bad habits could he possibly get into shooting WB that would conflict with how he carries on the job??

The only difference I could imagine is carrying in Condition 1 on duty as opposed to hammer down on an empty chamber in WB. I sure can't imagine that as being a bad habit. It would help him train for clearing a malfunction in a high stress situation.

BQ, if you are more comfortable and happy using your auto safety, more power to you...as long as you don't expect me to do the same. In order to stay consistent though, you need to bird hunt with an empty gun and load when you hear the sound of the beep fluttering wings. :D

First, pards I'm not disparaging anyone for removing the auto safe feature from their shotguns. In my original post, I was commiserating how I think I understood why the police chief would have trepidation shooting Wild Bunch. His situation is certainly more dire than mine since my greatest loss would be missing a bird because the safety was on. ---- Also friends, please understand that I'm one of those people who has trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time. I think it was because my mother died six months before I was born and left me to raise my younger brother and sister all by myself. :blink:

Second. ---- Were was I?? --:unsure:-- Oh ya. ---- Buck, while on a dove shoot there was a flurry of dove that came over me. I had to do some quick reloading of my double just like we do in CAS. I fired six shots with two quick reloads. I'm going to brag just a little about this feat as it is the only time it has ever happened to me. On that dove flurry, as fast as I could shoot and reload, I got a triple double---with witnesses!

I started off not using a safety .. So I don't have to reprogram my brain.. I know how to handle all guns safely with no safety .. I see how its a problem if your so used to it ,it's hard to break a good habit haha

Archived