SASS Wire Forum

Hondo

The Original Bad Bob

1953. Directed by John Farrow. Starring John Wayne, Geraldine Page, Ward Bond (great character actor) Michael Pate, and James Arness (very small part).

Another classic, story in the same vein as Shane. Hondo is part Apache, and is somewhat respected by the Apache chief with an Italian name (Vittorio - what's up with that?)and the Apache allow his GF and her son live on their land without hassling them too much.

Story originally written by Louis L'Amour ("The Gift of Cochise").

Four out of five figs. ;)

The Apache Victorio was the leader of the Eastern Chiricaua and Mescalero tribes.

Victorio is a Spanish name, which was common for Apaches seeing as how the tribes were largely in Mexico. He was nicknamed The Apache Wolf.

The character in the movie was named Vittorio and played by an Australian. :lol:

The Apache Victorio was the leader of the Eastern Chiricaua and Mescalero tribes.

Victorio is a Spanish name, which was common for Apaches seeing as how the tribes were largely in Mexico. He was nicknamed The Apache Wolf.

The character in the movie was named Vittorio and played by an Australian. :lol:

Also, Geronimo= Jerome.

The movie was originally made in 3-D, but only shown a few times as such. The Duke's daughter-in-law had it redone in digital and it has been shown a couple of time. It is great in 3-D the best I'v ever seen. and I'm not a big 3-D fan.

I'm told that the Dog was one of the Lassie's and the Duke won her/him in a poker game just before the film wrapped, but gave the dog back on the last day to the trainer. They had dyed the fur and cut the hair to make it look mean. Good film.

Also, Geronimo= Jerome.

Hard to strike fear in the hearts of settlers ifn yer called Jerome. :lol: Good thing he stuck with Geronimo.

I'm told that the Dog was one of the Lassie's and the Duke won her/him in a poker game just before the film wrapped, but gave the dog back on the last day to the trainer. They had dyed the fur and cut the hair to make it look mean. Good film.

Was that dog the same one he had in "Big Jake"?

Hard to strike fear in the hearts of settlers ifn yer called Jerome. :lol: Good thing he stuck with Geronimo.

I can't recall the exact spelling, but IIRC, his name was originally Golthay, or somesuch, meaning One Who Yawns (probably as a kid). Correctly, his name was pronounced Heer-on-i-mo, as the G is pronounced H in Spanish. They never did CATCH him, just wore him down until he "came in" several times.

Ride easy, but stay alert! Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! Godspeed Discovery!

Your obdt servant,

Archived