SASS Wire Forum

Air Rifle from...1790!

Colonel Dan, SASS #24025

Not only that but there were combat versions that were even banned by the pope as being underhanded and also versions that were disguised as walking sticks just for poachers they were mostly between .30 and .50 and shot round lead balls at quite a decent speed the Rifleman magazine did a writeup on them some years ago I recall as did Gun Digest back in the 80s I think

Speaking of air rifles, here's one at Big 5 that looks strangely like a Mosin-Nagant! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Big 5 ad

I knew that Lewis and Clark had taken an air rifle on their cross country trek, but was not aware of the specifics of the rifle. That was a great link. I really enjoyed it.

Wonder if that was what Ole One Eyed Pete shot Lewis in the a** with? :blink:

Made by an Italian no less, I guess they were masters of silent death even in 1790!

Doc

Speaking of air rifles, here's one at Big 5 that looks strangely like a Mosin-Nagant! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Big 5 ad

Here's another air rifle ad that I've always enjoyed.

Link

I know a collector who has an original twin of the lewis & Clark air rifle. He got it at the Baltimore antique arms show in the early 1990's. He sold a Patterson Colt to raise the cash to buy it. He occasionally shoots it. His main hobby is collecting air guns.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

If ya ever did read Sherlock Holmes... by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle...

In one of them stories... Holmes professes a morbid fear of bein' shot in the head with an air-rifle by his archenemy, Prof. Moriarty.

After one of them world wars... the Great War, I think.... the Germans were relegated to "NO firearm" ownership... and had to resort to totin' air-guns to hunt. I got me one of them... Feinwerkbau's myownself. Well made. Nice and quiet... can kill possums in the hen-house... and not upset the layin' fowls.

ts

I want to see Uberti or someone make a replica of one of those.... that would be super fun to shoot. Thanks for the link, I'd never heard of that before.

There was in fact an attempt to get Pedersoli to duplicate/manufacture the L&C Air Rifle. This occurred prior to the L&C Bicentennial. My name was on the list of committed buyers "if" the cost would be $1000.00 per. It never happened. Don't know if costs went way over or if interest just died out.

MJJ

I want to see Uberti or someone make a replica of one of those.... that would be super fun to shoot. Thanks for the link, I'd never heard of that before.

Somebody already has Chris. The narrator in the video refers to having shot a reproduction & the 46 cal. ball penetrated a 1" pine board.

Howdy

I have seen photos of another early air rifle. This one had a large spherical air reservoir under the stock.

Archived