SASS Wire Forum

Journal from "Fire & Ice"..................then from "Winter Range"....

Wolf Wind-Walker #36748

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK - were back............. :D

Allie.....much better thank you..........probably about 80%...WWW

Chapter # 7 "Odyssey to the CAS Nationals"Friday

Ok now......where was I.......???? It is good to be back......just finished Sat stages and visiting......but we let off on Thursday............

FIRST : a BIG THANKS TO DR JEANETTE ANDERSON at the Next Care facility on McDowell Rd. in Avondale AZ. - her and her staff did a great job "shootin" me in the rear (I had two shots)and gettin me better so's I could shoot the next day.........thanks Doc - I felt relief in about an hour.......you are great..... :FlagAm:

OK back to Fridays events............needless to say I was feeling pretty poorly......but was trying to Cowboy Up....so read the "Apology" post and you can get an idea of where I was physically/spiritualy/mentaly when the day started.....

Started on Stage 4 at the Livery = Rifle 1 on 1 - 2 on 2 - 3 on 3- 2 on 2 - 1 on 1 and last round on 4, engage 2 SG's then move & engage 4 SG's then take SG with and engage Pistols same as Rifle ...clean....30.24 sorry can't remember - but maybe shot and extra SG...??

Moved to stage 1 - Freight Wagon - Had 6 targets going away from you and you were to expend 1 0n 1 - 2 0n 2 - 3 0n 3 etc to the 6th target - then reload either pistol or rifle and shoot last target for the 21st round...then engage 2 SG's then move to front of Wagon and engage 2 more SG's......had a miss here.. :angry: ...don't remember - think it was a pistol...for a 38.58 final...

On to stage 2 Philthy Phils - Targets at 12-3-6-9 oclock - 9 & 3 alternating for 5 shots then 12 & 6 alternating for 5 shots..engage 2 SG's then move to center and engage 4 SG's then engage a 6&12 oclock pistol target alternating for 5 shots then dump 5 on either target....... 34.75 clean throwing SG on the ground... :rolleyes:

On to last stage - stage 3 Brieghton Belle (Paddlewheeler) Rifle - 3 targets engaged in a continous NV sweep starting on the middle target......engage 2 SG's - then move and engage 2 more SG's - then move and engage pistol same as rifle....I just kinda pushed it then and got it clean in 24.13....my best time of the whole match.....I usually shoot in the middle of the rotation and due to feeling bad was shootinbg 3rd or 4th to conserve my energy...

Don't remember how much I visitred or even if I ate.......packed up was feeling so bad and headed for home...only was driving about 10 min and pulled off teh road and called Jewel and told her to call me in an hour cause I just could not drive any farther.....was totally ehausted....let teh seat back and took a 20 min nap....wokr up and headed back home again and made it with out furthur incident.....unloaded and colapsed in bed - then did the Doctor thing....

Sorry for such a flat journal entry but don't really remember much of the day.........

On to Saturday............Wolf

WWW, nice shooting with you. Great job of cowboying up for the last day. Never slacked off and pulled posse duties even though no one would have said anything had you not done so! BTW, NINE!!!!!!!!! See ya down the trail.

Big Iron Patnode

Big Iron..........thanks - was great shooting with you.....maybe see you Sun?

Cheyenne & GCK & Lefty - thanks for the updates - appreciate ya helping out....anybody elese want to share they can do it here tooo...it is open to anyone....just don't have to be me.....

Note : more pictures on the way...........including my "I can't believe I made it through picture".... ;)

Feeling better today........only about 80% tho....still ache and swallowong is hard......and eneregy is not up to par.....so we shall see how it goes.........

Chapter # 7 "Odyssey to the CAS Nationals" Saturday

Ok here we go last day of shooting........went to be early the night before and set alarm for 5:00am...... woke up several times mouth dried out and swalowing hard - hit bathroom for some water and see john again......

I was debating on tellin you my observations on "How to use a Porta Potty"...things to watch out for.....and decided against it....perhaps some other time... ;)

Anyway - was up around 4:45am and hit shower for a looong time....still feeling pretty rough - but way better than previous evening.......ate jello and gator aid and had a little pork bar-b-que on bread for solid stuff...actually harder swallowing this morning than the previous evening after the shoots....

Packed up and hit the road (6:17am) a little later than I had planned for the 7:30 posse gathering .....drove without incident altho a little faster than normal to make up some time....sunrise was beautiful and I was wearing my long johns and managed to only get what suntan lotion on that I needed to without looking like the walking dead...(anybody a fan of the new series...??) - I digress.........often huh...?

Get to the range a 7:15am unpacked the car and headed over to stage 8 with my visit to john on the way.....had apcked gator aid and fuze to stay hydrated and hopefully flush my system out......I was a flushing - so I hope the bad stuff was coming out with it......

I make an announcement to the posse and let them know what is going on and I have strep and doc said I would not be contagious due to the shoots I got.......and told them if they feel symptoms they would know what to check for ....felt it was only fair to let them know........

Stage 8 is the Military camp and has 2 plate rack knockdowns for rifle.........kewl....variety.....start on 3 pistol targets - at least once each for 5 rounds...moving pretty good......then move to center and engage rifle racks for 10 rounds....(racks were going away from you and targets got smaller as they went back) I engaged them form rack to rack -alternateing as first target went down slow.....then hit 2 targets with SG - then move and do second pistol samne as first....ok so far...get to last 2 shots on my pistol and miss both......holy cram a n ettie...you got tobe kidding me......finished with a 38.44.........daRN

Observation: after alerting the posse about my health condition some folks kept their distance.....others offered sympathies and encouragement......pretty kewl...some others offered their similar experiences....so actually being sick kinda opened up opportunities for some folks to get to know each other better...imagine that.... :)

On to stage #5 - the saloon.....I am still moving to the front of the line due to the fact I do not know how long my energy levels will last...start at bar - hands on bar and say one of the few lines on the stages..........I don't take no lip from no surly bartenders neither.....then go to window and engage pistol 4 targets at least once each...then move to rifle do the same and pickup SG then move to other window and engage 4 SG targets.....was moving along briskly then missed a SG and dumped one on teh floor...butter fingers....I had asked JT if I could use teh fact that I was on medication as an excuse and teh posse said "NO"......so ended up with a clean (but messy) 34.22

Sorry - have to break here - son needs puter for school work....be back to finish later..................regards............Wolf

Wolf,

Glad to hear you're feeling better. Howz Jewel doing??

Heartfelt thanks for all your postings..... love your ramblin' stories! :D

I WILL be meetin' y'all next Winte Range!!! :wub:

Miss Cubbie

...glad you were able to shoot so far...

...can't wait for the rest of the story... (is that page 2?) <_<

OK Folks.............here is something to look at until the next installment......enjoy...Wolf

http://www.slide.com/r/1Ll8RTRQyT-U8bGjINEurcrl0_AavBeY?previous_view=mscd_embedded_url&view=original

Allie........as sick as I was with the 101.5 temp and throat swol up and achey all over and no energy....with 5 misses and about 4 SG makeups and throwin about 6 SG on the ground....never thought I would make that walk......yeap that is me in the red shirt and yellow suspenders.....smilin more/bigger than I have smiled for a long time..........darn it felt good.......look out next year....(I'm sleepin in a tent at the range next year so's I don't get infected by the grandkids- even tho I love em :wub: )

Thanks Sis........Wolf

Thanks Lefty...you'll be ther next year..... :)

Miss Cubbie..look forward to seein you next year.......Jewel was feeling pretty down today and did not make it out to the range.......some better this evening......takin her home tomorrow....glad ya like the stories...........Wolf

Ok - on with the rest of the show......WWW

Thanks for all the great pictures! Recognized a few cowpokes - Big Iron and Goatneck Clem.

Fantastic about your buckle.... one to wear with pride. :D

Hope y'all have a safe trip home and I'll be lookin' for ya next year...already have the dates in my calendar.

Miss Cubbie

Chapter # 7 "Odyssey to the CAS Nationals" Saturday

Saturday - Part two

Arriving at stage 6...........whew.....man can't bellieve I'm here at the Nationals....been a dream for several years......as I rest on a hay bale and reflect on all the things/events in my life that came together to get me here............number one my bride.....Desert Jewel, our first Christmas together I found a 45LC Revolver under the tree with 500 rounds of ammo....what a gal....that started this journey December 2000.......and so many folks who have helped and shown me kindnesses along the way.........I am truley grateful...this hay has a tendency to makes ones eyes moist ya know.....

Ok Stage 6 -Lincoln County Jail........Baldy Locks and Lightening Pete show up....son and grandson......good to have them here.....

OK for those in the know...stage 6 is the "Nine Stage"....only 9 rounds in the Rifle......JT kept asking us how many rounds as he read the senario - posse dutifuly replying "Nine"....certain fella intermitently kept shouting "Nine" after that...posse was laughin alot and JT was having trouble readin the stage some.....

As I start ...I say "wait - gotta say my line....holler "Nine".....laughter....buzzer then engage rifle with "9" rds on 3 targets - take SG down hall engage 2 SG at 2 different doors...then at end of hall engage pistol same and dump last round on any target.....

We are off......Rifle pretty good..threw 2 Sg on the ground....got to pistol and blazed away.......did it clean (yeah) in 2"9".07...(29.07)...turn around and 3 spotters - backed by the whole posse are holding up 9 fingers each........"What" I says........"Nine Misses?"........"Yes" a whole bunch of grinning faces answer back.....Posse 36.....I love you'll....... :D

So now you know the story of "Nine"......have to check the video my son shot to see how much of it he caught........

Movein over to Stage # 7....last stage of the shoot......Cattleman Bank.......the dreded Pistol Plate Rack.............2 of em.....and me shooting my trusty 32"s......and..oh wait......"What's that Jewel?"...."But honey"...."Do I have too..?"........."Ok"......the ever Lovely Miss Jewel reminds me that those pistols are "HER" 32 Pistols...yes dear what ever you say.....so there you have it.....

Senerio - engage 5 Rifle targets on right side of stage twice each move to center with Rifle and engage plate racks once each...(SG make up available for the ones which do not go down) - then take SG & move to left and engage 4 SG and Make up as many times as needed...

Blazin on the Rifle double tap left to right.........headin to the plate racks takin a deep breath hopein my 32's will take em down.........1st pistol duelist with style...taking them down 1,2,3,4,5....2nd pistol down 1,2, - 3 not down - ok I missed it - wasn't my wifes pistols fault <_< - 4 & 5 down....one make up to do.....clean in 36.66...stages are done....the shootin match is over........

Say bye to folks - great posse, had fun even being sick and some folks were real kind to my condition.....head over for some lunch at Hanks....Buffalo Burger this time- hard to swallow but still mighty delish......wander over and watch fast draw for awhile then out into the 4 vendor rows....saying hi to friends old and new and talkin about how our matches went....ran over to Splat Jewelery and Miss Thombstone and I exchanged hugs,,,,,,,,and Thombstone,.......you were right - she is a great hugger..... :wub: and she say you gotta come here next year cause it is so much fun.......drifted (cowboy term here) over to the big colored tent and watched the Rhinestone Roper show........and he was great....he even roped me === just lassoed me right there on the front row....he had a trick horse that was one of the best I had ever seen.....back out to vendors....went to Colorado Hat Company and they pulled a 7 & 5/8 palm leaf out of the back for me and shaped it cause I need a new sun hat.....looks pretty good.....stopped by the Tshirt vendor and got the last "officious" Winter Range Tshirt..lucky I am sometimes....ran into Dixie and wandered around with her for awhile visited Artie at Major Photography and checked out his Cowboy cards......then to the C&I trailer and Jim and Wes and Terry were all working.....after that headed out for home again.....

After thoughts.........feel pretty good about how I did under the circumstances....sick & all....had 8 clean stages - had 6 stages under 29 raw but only 3 stages under 30 final.....figured all stages would have been under 30 without misses and dropping SG shells....k-sa-ra...actually my one stage was a 24 and had a SG miss and threw one down so it should have been in the teens......shoulda, coulda, etc..any way.......no way I figured I hit the top ten....my goal was 10th....for my 1st Winter Range...probably end up around 13 to 16 based on the scores for the 1st 2 days - my fate is in the wind....??? or in the (score) cards...??

Headin home....early start tomorrow......looks like rain.......WWW

Final

Chapter # 8 "Odyssey to the CAS Nationals" Sunday

Had alarm set for 4:45 - got to bed pretty early, around 10:30.....toyed with the idea of sleeping in instead of gettin up for Cowboy Church....up and down through the night having to moisturize my throat...it got dry/parched and was painful.....so ended up sleeping in some.....

Up at around 7 and nothing to pack....just shower and dress and go.....had rained last night but was looking like it would dry out some today......hit the road about 8:07am and pretty comfortable drive to the range....partly cloudy and sunshine....got to the range..........

Oh crap.......rain....................past stories of Winter Range and rain.....mud......looking around and seeing mud......not terrible, tire tracks and footprints....I'm wearing loafers...better change into my boots......darn took boots out of car last night....thought about them this morning and did not put them back.....did not wear long underwear either...so much for the thinking ahead part.....a little windy and chilly out here....ok get out an grab my fringe jacket out of the back and head over to the range ----had parked on the far end - less traffic and less mud...and right up front next to the road...gingerly picked my way accross the banks to the road......walking on the places which showed a lot of stone.....trying not to find the places where I would sink in.....did ok....squishey in some places but not to bad....make my way down to the middle bays where I hear gunfire....Stages 7 & 8...they have bleachers up and are using both bays for TOP GUN......kewl set up......

Bay on Left is Cattlemens Bank & Bay on Right is Military Camp......each has hay bales for shooting positions.....

1. Start at outside bale - Rifle in both hands - 2 Rifle Plate racks - one horizontal to the line (5 rds) the other moving away from the line with Targets getting smaller.

2. Move towards center and at next bale 3 pistol Targets

There is a 2 walled building in the center - walls facing left and right towards each bay - with doors facing each bay with long curtains hangin in the doors so you cannot see to the other side (bay)....back is open to the audience

3. Move to bales next to wall in center and 6 SG knockdowns

4. Then through curtains and 2 - 45 pistols with ammo on table for each side to engage the final knockdown target - so ya got to load one and shoot

I got my video camera out and walked up to the line on the right side and started filming......got some good runs....talked to Hell's comin and Lassiter and Gateway kid and met Black Jack Zack - he was MC-ing the shootoff and Larsen was there taking pictures...it was great.....

Saw some fast runs and some had the final knockdown go down right on top of each other...some made mistakes and some even made up for them......some missed the final knockdown...

I hope to be able to post video once I get home....it takes a lot more edditing than the regular pics do.....

Can't remember all the names of who went against who so will leave that to others to post.....

After that headed over to the BIG tent and reserved a seat second row back in the middle....went and stood in line for 20 min to get hot chocolate and spiced cider and back to the big tent and settled in for the awards......

Took lots of pictures and ended up sitting right behind the Judge....lots of folks I knew got awards and it was a good crowd......Lead Bender and Lilly to my left and then Hell's then Dixie - don't know the folks on the right.......they got to Senior Duelist and Dixie says,,,,,,,Wolf - take your coat off......and I says "No Dixie - I won't be going up there"...and about that time they called number 10...then number "9" (see a theme here>????) from Utah......Wolf Wind-Walker....holy cow...I did it...I take my jacket off as quick as I can and head up...shake hands with the number 10 guy and then fella hands me a buckle --- think my mouth was open....I was surely grinning...and stand proudly on the number "9" taped on the floor.....Chickamagwa sitting in the front row says "hey smile Wolf" ...didn't know if I coulda smiled any wider.....but I think I did.....part of me can't believe it and part of me says I knew I could.....great feeling....shake hands with all the other Senior Duelists - can't remember any names at that point (or at this point either).........then we head out side for pictures.....line up proudly holding my first buckle from Winter Range....kewl beans....

Now this is me...the competitive side.....somewhere in my head i'm a thinkin...I should put these fellas on notice they might want to be practicin awhile cause bein sick with a 101 temp & 5 misses and threw a bucnch of SG on the ground and I will be back next year shooting for at least #4..or maybe more???..so on guard.... B)

But I keep my mouth shut, cause somebody might take it wrong and don't want to rain on anybodies parade.....and all these guys look pretty old..... :o oh wait...I'm one of them too........ ;)

Ok - time to go see John...........headin back and folks are congradulatin me and feels pretty darn good......congradulatin them too and say hi to Lou and tell her how we was both comiserating on how bad we did and we both still ended up on the platform...said hi and bye to abunch of folks and stoped by Splat and gave Lady Thonbstone another hug..........and yes it was just as good as the day before and told her to get Thombstone out here and she said she is tryin to....visited Hank and had my last Philly Cheese Steak til April when they will be up in St. George (our home) for the Rukus at Red Rock starting April 13th....(Allie Mo - how you gonna spend our birthday>>>>?????)

Bout time to leave.....wander over and take a few pictures of folks already starting to tear down the range...sad to leave but it has been a great time........new and old friends....

Now this is the part where I should say something really memorible......like ,,,,like...

"We are not what we think we are......

But, what we think, we are...."

And I think I am a pretty lucky fella to have so many brothers and sisters to play with.........adios....til we meet again.....Wolf

PS: I hope you find this rambling collage of verbosity in some way entertaining and I want to thank you for letting me share part of my life with you.....and for you sharing part of your lives with me....The Editor (me)

...visited Hank and had my last Philly Cheese Steak til April when they will be up in St. George (our home) for the Rukus at Red Rock starting April 13th....(Allie Mo - how you gonna spend our birthday>>>>?????)...

Hi Wolfie,

I'm glad to hear that the good times outweighed the bad. Although we like to think buckles are minor in the scheme of things, getting one at WR is pretty special. Bravo, especially with how you felt.

Our annual match starts the week after "our birthday" so, I will probably just be home thinking I share a birthday and CAS with some great folks. Also having birthdays on the 13th are Cowtown Scout and Lady Fluer.

Sincerely,

Allie "birthday sis" Mo

Last post before leaving Buckeye......wagon is packed........thanks Allie & GCK and Griz...glad u liked the ramblings...

Oh crap.....where did I pack my buckle.....???? now i'm gonna have to tear the whole car apart and unpack everything to make sure none of the grand kids put it somewhere.......... :o

Oh - what's that dear....it is in your suitcase....ok......whew....good wife...keeps me straight (most of the time ;):blink: ) thank you dear....(love that gal... :wub::wub: )

A BIG thanks for Adam and Step and - Peter - Hanna - Emma - Andrew & Racheal, and can't leave out baby Thomas who is due to enter this world in about 5 weeks...thanks for puttin up with Grandmaw & Grandpaw....for the past 10 days.......it was great..... :D:wub::FlagAm:

It is 10:03 and headin out the door.........type at ya'll in about 7-8 hours from southern Utah..... YeeeeHaaaaa head em up and move em out.......be well........Wolf

WWW, thanks for sharing the fun with those of us that could not attend this year. Lady T is already talking about next year and I guess I try to make it out there.

I hope to get to meet you down the trail. Keep your powder dry and safe travels.

Thombstone...I mean Tombstone :rolleyes:

Tombstone................sorry for the spelling......i put a disclaimer up at the start of the post that I didn't have a spell checker.... you have a lovely bride there.......give her a hug from me, and if'in ya can, we have an annual "Rukus" April 13 through 16th and then of course the Senior Games Oct 4 through 8th...........come up and visit us - guarantee a great time.....look forward to meeeting ya......Wolf

Hired Gun.............glad you enjoyed it.........bring a bunch of folks from back east....I heard from Roo and he couldn't make it....only one I saw and talked with was Punch.......heard some names from Maryland called out during the awards but it sure would have been nice to see a bunch more pards from the east coast central sea board area....alot of talent there - would add a whole nuther dynamic to Winter Range......be well ole friend and hope ta see you there.........Wolf

Post installement: Jewel and I had a leisurely drive back to St. George....stopped in Wickenburg AZ and toured some of the stores then hit the In&Out in Kingman, saw the Nascar Army Pit crew there headin for Vegas for a race = then picked up some snack in Henderson NV then headed for Utah - made home on 1 full tank of gas....good ole Wagon 414 miles for trip....unpacked abit and watched some of teh video I shot......looked at scores......and then hit the bed.......bed felt "soooo" good, rememberin to take my pills twice daily and hopein this sore throat hard to swallow thingy will go away soon......

What a great ride (adventure).........JT and I were talking on the phone last night and he said I should tell all the Dixie Desperados (folks at our club) how great a shoot it is and actually 400 miles is not that far....and you know what - I would love to see about a dozen folks from our club come down.........they would have a blast..... :D:FlagAm:

KEY TO WINTER RANGE - get your registration in early.....especially after word of this 2011 one gets around... B)

After though === after looking at WR pics from 2010 and then seeing 2011 pics that I took....they really don't have to change nothing......if they kept it the same (prop/facade wise)it will still be the best shoot around....

What agreat life........thanks Winter Range crew........for makin it better...................and to all the folsk I met and talked with.......thanks you for helpin makin it better too........be well.......Wolf

Notice: putin all the photos on another post -so's they are all together.

Thanks to Slo Smoke for the {Photo.....you rock man and great to see you!

A big thanks to Chickamauga Charlie for the friendship and photos....was good talking with ya Charlie.....see ya in April at the "Rukus"....

And to Tn Tombstone......thanks for tellin me ta hug your bride....you were right....see "both" of you down the trail I hope...??

And to Chuckaroo........ya conld'nt make it, but your badges were with every shooter.....outstanding job and

a great keepsake for my first Winter Range.....love ya man!

Be well all..WOlf

WWW, whats that saying, I dont care what you call me just dont call me late for dinner. :) I too am spelling challanged. On our fourm I had them install a spell checker. On this forum I will write most of mine in word and then post it here. I found a kinderd soul with you so I too am just letting it ride.

Again, thanks for all the reports and pictures. Lady T did well enough to be planning on coming back next year so I should be showing up somewhere down the trail

Sounds good to me Tombstone.........see ya'll next year...........give Lady T a hug from me....regards..Wolf

Hey WWW (does that also stand for World Wide Wolfie???), thanks for all the great hugs at Winter Range, you ain't so bad at it your ownself! Take care and keep on keepin' us posted on your adventures. Can't wait to see you again. Take care,

Lady T.

Why Lady T...........think I'll let you be the judge of that.. ;) ...you tell me... B)

And I'm not so sure I'm "REALLY REALLY" good at this hugin thing yet........I think I need lots more practice.... :huh::rolleyes: ...just looking for some volunteers ta help me get better at it...... :D

The pleasure was all mine (Wolf tips his hat in a low bow)...and bring Tombstone along next time...shoot = I'll even give him a hug.... :o

Be well till next time.......Wolf

Archived