SASS Wire Forum

Journal from "Fire & Ice"..................then from "Winter Range"....

Wolf Wind-Walker #36748

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thursday AM = Brief interlude.........

Yawn...morning all........

Hit the hay around 12 last night......saw john acouple of times during the night.......drempt about BIG Palm Leaf Hats...and holsters :huh:

Up at 7 - long sleep for me.....woke up with a sore throat..........shoot - this may bring a whole nuther factor into my game.....one of the kids had pneumonia (SP?)and an nother one had strep......no fever yet.......Lynda went out and got us some Zicam and "C" and another thing weve been poppin - tryin to prevent......but it is hard in a house with 5 kids running around......so I have been trying to be away most for the day it ya know what I mean....hope this does not affect my playin Cowboy...... -_-

Will head out before noon as we have a 2pm start and are supposed to be in the big tent at 1 ---- shooting bays 12 then 9/10/11 to day....kinda of nice since these were the bays we shot yeaterday....so just a different target order.....oh wait...hope I don't get the orders mixed up.... :blink:

Yes mother - I will remember to take my MSM and my tendon strap with me....and pop a few more of those Zicams and C.........

Sat last night and sanded my shot shells a bit so they would be easier to hold..(what'd you expect - I told you I was a Gamer!)......(I hope)....and guess what.....upon close inspection of the Winchester Feather Lites - there were some little bitsey pieces of Feathers sticking out of the crimps.....that guy who shot that Bird thingy yeaterday must a snuck em in on me... ;):ph34r:

I was asking a lot of the vendors how they were doing and they all said to a man err woman that it was really great - best sales they have had....and it was not even the first big day.....

Since Lynda and our daughter have figured out a way to post photos - I will try to get some today and post them......

Anyone want to see what Jewel looks like....??? Might be better off ifin ya don't see what I look like.... :rolleyes:

OH - does the picture come up OK????

Thinkin about our game.....and we all are what makes "our game" so great....got friends on 4 continents and from geeze....8 or more countries.......made a bunch of new ones already just bein here......shoot even had contact with folks on the wire that have become wire friends and I hope to meet them somday.....need to thank you'll for being such a great part of our lives - not only is it fun - it is an honor to meet and play with such upstanding folks and collectively we create a better part/ambience/influence on each other and the world around us...

Enough philosiphying........

WARNING IDEA::::

1. I plan on being at Winter Range next year - I just got to...it is tooo goood.

2. All you folks who have met me through my "Journal" - and - folks I already know who are not here......

3. Let's plan a """REUNION""" for next Winter Range......what say yeee...???

Any body up for that....???

Have been passing out cards for our club and my personal cards - folks may be able to say some day.....why I got one of Wolfs card - he's famous..!!...probably not...but ya never know....just the fact that Jewel puts up with me and we have 11 +1 kids and 27 grandchildren should be worth something......(maybe I should be handing out a card for her???)

Ok - better stop the verbosity and go shower and eat breakfast and get ready to go play...

YeeeHaaaaa...what a Country - what a sport - what a rush - what a LIFE......most humble regards.........Wolf

Wolfy , the system is not set up to post pictures directly. You have to use a link to a picture-posting site , like Photo-Bucket. Been that way long as I have been on the wire ,at least 6 years.

It isn't real difficult , as even I have done it before. Folks well versed in computer can even set up slide-shows and videos.

Good luck , Rex :D

http://www.slide.com/r/9pZZPXsG7j99BfBn3EDb92aqyD3kEEf2?previous_view=mscd_embedded_url&view=original

Turning the grandchildren cowboy! What fun!!! But boy we're gonna have to have deep pockets for this! :)

Dear Birthday Brother,

We must meet someday! I so wanted to go to WR this year. Alas, "things" didn't work out... I will try very hard to make next year THE year.

About the dancing, I have almost felt like I could dance with a few gents. Mad Dog Jack is one. Another was a gent who went by the name of Fargo. I don't think that was a SASS alias.

I love reading your journal!!! If I can't be there, a vicarious visit is the next best thing.

Jewel, that is a great photo of the grands!

:wub:

Allie Mo

WWW,

I'm enjoying the reports - keep it up.

Hope you are having a great time (little doubt about that) and shooting well (lots of hope there).

Be good and travel safe.

WW

I was not able to make WR this year but Lady Tombstone is out there with her Bullit Splat Jewelry so I am getting a report each day from her and then get to read your journal for more insight. Lady T keeps saying I have to come out next year so it very well may happen.

Drop by her tent, see her jewelry and give her a hug, she is a great hugger. :wub:

:P Wolf and Desert Jewel,

So nice of you to share your grandkids with us! You've about got enough for your own posse!

Wolf...you're ON for next year at Winter Range :excl: I've already talked to Gunstock about making it happen. We're going to block off enough time to join y'all in the fun. There's so many pards and pardettes I'd like to meet....Allie Mo, you're one of them, so hopefully you can make it out there, too.

Thanks, Wolf, for sharing your adventures with us. Jewel, those sunsets happen all the time in the valley of the sun! Go up the road to "Sunset Point".... there's a rest stop there off the highway... it's a sight to behold at sundown.

Miss Cubbie

tombstone, I got cha covoert, and oh yea, she is a grate hugger,,,,,, :P;)

I think I'm one of her better salesmen... :lol:

Yup, u otta be here nex yur!

Cheyenne Culpepper B)

Oh I ache........I tol ya Jewel and I were doin some preventatives..........don't know how much it is preventin.... <_< Woke up with sore throat and got more achey as the day went one.....feel a little warm now.....taking more preventives and try to hit the sack early tonight.........got a 11 am start tomorrow..........hope I feel better....... B)

OK == on to the posts.........

Allie......OK - you are number one on the reunion list for next year......and I will save you a couple of dances and we shall see if you can add me to the guys you can "Dance With"....thanks for the cmopliment sis......WWW

WW you old heathen....miss your smoke - wish you and Dixie were here......they could use more smoke...WWW

Thombstone.....saw the "Splat" Jewerly...pretty kewl....I will go check out her "hug" and let you know an unbiased opinion.... ;)

Well Miss Cubbie.....actually we got more than a posse.27 in fact...........but don't worry we found our what caused our 11 + 1 kids and are trying to teach the kids the same thing...........hum.......did that come out right?

And Miss Cubbie.......you are number 2 on the list for the WR Reunion next year....

Cheyenne......great point....recruit more folks for next year.... :FlagAm:

Dang Culpepper, I forgot you were out there. Lady T might have mentioned you had been around. Good luck and see you down the trail

First order of the day.........shower....no wait john....then shower.......stand in the shower with hot water running hopeing I will feel better......dry off....shave then.......here we go.....

Ya know them trail size and travel size hygiene items at Wally world....??? the ones you pick up for trips so's ya don't have to lug your big stuff around....

So Jewel and I had fun shopping and picking up these items - and I picked up some bananna sun pf50 no tears stuff....(Yellow tube - kewl)...do to my sensitive nature..... well actually I am a red head with lots of freckles......freckles rule....so I had been taking on some sun the past couple of days and decided I better use the sunscreen......

So - me - mirror - wrapped in towel...(me not the mirror)....and put a dab of this sunscreen on my finger and start rubbing it on my nose......what the heck....???.....rub it down on the right cheek...then down on the left cheek.....then forhead....

This stuff is about the consistancy of elmers glue on a cold day....I look in the mirror....there's a clown in there staring back at me...oh it's me in white face.....keep rubbing.....down my neck - ears - back of neck....it takes awhile to rub this stuff in and my normal red complextion is looking kinda pasty white......the walking dead comes to mind.....rub some more......rub some on my arms...spread the joy....OK - getting tired of rubbing.....guess I will be pasty white for the whole day....SHOULD BE NO PROBLEM WITH THE SUN......... :rolleyes:

Mental Note: # 3 - Use lots less Sunblock next time...

Gathered my gear together and ....

Ok off to the races........

Chapter # 6 "Odyssey to the CAS Nationals"Thursday

Oh here we go......told ya in the previous post I was feelin poorly....trying to ignore it......

Got on the road about 9:37 and hit the range about 10:30....unpacked - parked on the far right side close to the horse areana.....pretty kewel looking horses - working them out around the pylons......(least they arn't orange cones... ;) )

Push my cart over to handlebar hanks and go see.......(you fill in the blank)..j==n.... - Grab the camera and head out to take pictures of range - cowboys & cowgirls vendors etc..(they should be up tomorrow).........

Ran in to TA Chance.....had not seen them for a few years and we had a long chat.....went to main tent several times and just sat as I was feeling pretty tired.....met and talked with a few folks there....

Back out and walking around....more pictures more vendors......

Head back to Main Tent for safety briefing.........was pretty good....theme of Bonanza...then we head out to stage 12 Coosies to shoot..........JT is our Posse marshal....when we get there the AM posse shooting is just starting their stage.....so I get the idea to go next door to practice bay....I run 10 Pistol and 10 Rifle and 4 SG....feel warmed up...( I told you I was a gamer)....had to head back to the car and get my heavier jacket and gloves as wind is kinda brisk and I am feeling chilly..............vist john on the way back to cart....

This is the stage with two poppers...soda cans....boy hope I don't throw SG shells on the ground this time.....I reset soda cans for about 8 shooters then head to get ammo and go load.......

Rifle is 1 on 4 targets then dump on remaing target........kewl wingin right along....no misses - head to SG - (make up availabe if ya miss cans).......but somehow I managed to get all the shells in the breach and actually hit both cans....I'm a star...(just klidding) - then move downrange and repeat pistol same as Rifle - 1 on 4 then dump on remaining target....28.48...a little slow but not bad considering how I am feeling........clean - good enough for me..

Head over to stage 9 - Depot....2-1-2 sweep with both pistols then 10 rounds on 8 rifle targets...then 4 SG....spot here for awhile.....young fella name of Justin Parker on our posse and he is really fast...moves well too....SO's I relinquish my spotter flag......and go load.....

Oh crap load rifle and go to load pistol and find only 4 32's for my one pistol....and ther is a 38 laying there.........which means ........there is a 32 in the rifle....(maybe getting sicker than I thought- concentration going??)- unload and then look down barrel and no light......take guns and ammo and go back to cart......ask for a rod - Tweleve Mile Reb has one....go to unloading table and knock 32 out of rifle.......back to cart and then to load table and seperate ammo.......plan on doing this for rest of match so's no more mental errors...load up......

Shot pistols well and moved to rifle and had my sequence worked out fine - on 2nd or 3rd rifle had a miss....lost focus.....darn....finished and got a 26:37 raw turned into a 31.37 final......boy - I did not need that....

Moved over to Train #10 and I wanted to get back on the horse since I had fallen so was second at the loading table......wanted to get my focus back....

Engage 2 SG then nove and engage 2 more SG, then rifle from same position two sweeps 1 through 5...then move and do same on pistol......ta da.....a little slow but had "Some" focus back...30.34 and clean.....went to see john again and came back and JT asked me to time a few folks......had fun running them through.........

On to last stage #11 Fort..........felt more tired and decided to get in line early again to take advantage of the energy I had left.....was warmer now and had shed coat and gloves....got 3rd in line and loaded (after seperation ) and waited......I shot this one - 4sg from Left tower then pick up rifle and move to window shoot rifle alternating double taps on 2 targets then moved to door and do same with pistols....OK - dropped the ball here.....I actually had a pistol miss.....could not believe I did that....Surprised me ....

I need a lot more focus.....darn....this one was a 26.78 and ended being a 31.78...ok want to do next 8 stages clean .....work on it......

Went to do posse pictures then parked cart at Hanks and called Jewel to see if they would be out this evening for the BP Night shoot....she said no so I wandered around a bit more and was glad cause I was tired/wasted and ready to go home......

Had seen Wes before shooting and he told me it was great to read my journal before he got here and he enjoyed it......he was hard at work with Jim in the C&I trailer....

Grabbed a Philly Cheese Steak at Hanks.....again - you gotta try one of these.... and ate and headed for the car.......packed up and drove the 50 min back to Buckeye.......unpacked my guns at home and read stages for the next day -= had loaded up my ammo(into the cart) at the parking lot for the next day - so was pretty much ready to go....took some more pills and hit the water pretty hard.....and then Journal entry......

That's about it.....hard to think any more.....night all.........Wolf (who hopes he feels better tomorrow) Wind -Walker

WWW you get well you hear!!!!

Shoot straight, run like the wind, and have clarity of thought and action!

...and keep them thar wurds flyin' back at us, ya 'ear!!!!

...There's so many pards and pardettes I'd like to meet....Allie Mo, you're one of them, so hopefully you can make it out there, too.

Miss Cubbie, I'd love to meet you too.

...Allie......OK - you are number one on the reunion list for next year......and I will save you a couple of dances and we shall see if you can add me to the guys you can "Dance With"....thanks for the cmopliment sis......WWW

Wow! Number 1! I'd better start working on that trip now. ;)

I sure hope you get better! Don't overdo! One of my friends, Lightening Will, came down with a bad flu and ended up in the hospital in Phoenix with pneumonia.

:wub:

Allie Mo

Wolfie got pictures and I am putting them up for your entertainment. He took some great shots! Enjoy!

http://www.slide.com/r/QLmFgCE_jT93IRXWgouSZoYumuF1gEyP?previous_view=mscd_embedded_url&view=original

He will update you later, he off shooting...

Wolfie got pictures and I am putting them up for your entertainment. He took some great shots! Enjoy!

http://www.slide.com/r/QLmFgCE_jT93IRXWgouSZoYumuF1gEyP?previous_view=mscd_embedded_url&view=original

He will update you later, he off shooting...

Thanks Jewel!

Wolfie, good job on the photos!

Regards,

Allie Mo

:D Wolfie and Jewel,

Thanks for the pictures! Now I finally know what the place looks like! Lived out in Mesa for years and never got over there.

Please get some rest and drink lots of water...even though it tastes salty!

Miss Cubbie

:FlagAm:

P S - Big Iron....got me a "new" pocket pistol...maybe you can give me some pointers?? I don't know how you fire it that fast!!

:D Wolfie and Jewel,

Thanks for the pictures! Now I finally know what the place looks like! Lived out in Mesa for years and never got over there.

Please get some rest and drink lots of water...even though it tastes salty!

Miss Cubbie

:FlagAm:

P S - Big Iron....got me a "new" pocket pistol...maybe you can give me some pointers?? I don't know how you fire it that fast!!

Absolutely! As long as you don't pack it full of Black Powder!!!!!!!!

Absolutely! As long as you don't pack it full of Black Powder!!!!!!!!

:blush: ..sigh.... I won't.... but that takes the FUN out!!

:ph34r: Miss Cubbie

SORRY all.........updates are (temporarily) on hold......I apologize.....

I could not go on.....I had talked with Jewel & Steph before I left this morning.....I was hacking up blood draninage from nasal passages last night.....and swollowing was getting real hard.....tol them I may need to go to the Doc......think I might have strep from the kids......

Shot today and was OK........won't describe the stages.....threw a few SG around and had a miss to......can't seem to focus......Stage 4 - 30.24, Stage 1 - 38.58 includes miss, Stage 2 - 34.75, and suprisingly...shot last stage - just let it all hang out in 24.13....

Tried to stay away from most folks and avoided kisses and hugs.....it was tough....

So get back to the kids and go colapse on the bed and tell Jewel I need to see a Doc - Adam takes us over to urgent care and I have a temp of 101.5....everything aches.....culture says I got Strep and it is brighter than the indicator...leave it up to me to do it BIG :rolleyes:

Tell Doc - I need to get better quick for competition tomorrow.....she tells me pills will take 24 hours....I ask about how long before I would not be "infectious"...24hrs....so tell her to do what ever it takes to get me back on my feet as fast as I can......says 2 shots in my butt - about 100$ worth will have me non infectious in 12 hrs....I say do it....

Sent home with script and orders to do popsicles...(imagaine that?) jello gator aid and lots more fluids......no dairy and go to BED......gave Jewel a script too since she was feeling a little sore throat and Doc did not want us to reinfect each other.....

SO sorry I cannot stay up an hour or 2 and do update......I will catch up tomorrow evening --- I promise - got to get up at 5am for early shift so need to go to bed.......

Thanks all for compliments.... and as I leave the key board...I am feeling a little better.......so maybe it this continues I might shoot better tomorrow>>>>>>one can only hope.....

Be well............WOlf (who just had a Popsicle) Wind-Walker

PS: I sincerely hope I did not pass this on to anyone at the range.......

Today was a beautiful day at the range. The morning was a little cool but no breeze, as it got warmer the breeze kicked up a little but not too much. Stages are good, Duece is shooting a very good match, as is black tom. Splitrail is shooting well and has a good shot at it, as is Stone Creek Drifter, I quite trying to match the big dogs and had a good day today.

Venders seemed to have a good day today, quite a few spectators were visiting.

Tomorrow looks to be another fantastic day.

Cheyenne :rolleyes:

Well second shift third day is done and third and last shift of the match is underway. The bad weather seems to be holding off, none of the rain or strong winds forecasted for late today have arrived. Looks like everyone will get an even playing field weather wise for the whole match.

Having attended almost a decade of Winter Ranges, I can say for sure this is the best yet. The stages are just about as perfect as you can get. Movement on every stage but not overdone-probably averaged three shooting positions with an average of about 5-7 yards between positions. Good target sequences and even a couple I have not shot before. All the targets well within SASS recommendations. All targets were SASS recommended sizes except pistol and rifle knockdowns but they were brought in close. The knockdowns fell easy with light loads. Not too difficult of sequences even for us old farts. Winter Range is known for varying heights and distances within a given gun sequence and they did not disappoint, this is what makes it a challenging National Championship. Even with 756 shooters in the main match every thing is running like clock work. Our posse finished all three days at or ahead of schedule. The props are absolutely the best anywhere. On thing this year is the number of visitors we see watching the shooting and shopping and eating at Winter Range. Every time we have driven by the parking lot for guests it has been almost full. Thanks a whole lot to Sheriff Joe (yup the pink underwear guy) and his staff that provided tons of security, safety, parking assistance, visitor control, etc. Those guys are the best. The entertainment has been excellent this year. Yesterday while waiting to shoot the last stage, a strolling guitar player/singer came and serenaded my wife for a couple of songs and then about 15 minutes of telling us tales of the movie and TV cowboys like Gene and Dale he has worked with. Finally a great big thanks to the Territorial Rough Riders and Rangers for all their very hard work, it really really shows. More probably later, but an old fart needs a nap.

Posse 22 finished on the new Saloon stage number five at 4:30 this afternoon. The Wind was kicking up a bit and the Temperature dropping.

No Rain, hoorah.

Big time Rain due in tonight.

WR, dodged the big one.

Archived