SASS Wire Forum

Journal from "Fire & Ice"..................then from "Winter Range"....

Wolf Wind-Walker #36748

Greetings all.....

WARNING:::::

- NO SPELL CHECKER!!!

- Lord I was born a rambling man!!! (verbal wise)

Chapter # 1 "Odyssey to the CAS Nationals"Friday

Washington Utah - Desert Jewel and I hit the road about 9am on Friday headin South via Vegas to Phoenix on our "Odyssey to the CAS Nationals"

( due to the fact my bride told me there was snow in the mountains going the Flagstaff way - so did not want her white knuckling it (( creates tension - ya know what I mean? :unsure: ?)) so went the Vegas way )

With a couple of stops we arrived in "Buckeye" around 3:30 - pretty uneventful trip - something pretty kewl did happen tho.........Lynda (Desert Jewel as most of you know her)and I talked for about 300 miles.....I atarted asking a few questions and we had a great dialog of what "we Felt" would make our lives...........especially our relationship better....and we both learned alot about why we do things based on our past experiences etc.....so it was really Kewl.... think we got closer...... :wub:

OK - disclaimer here - what does this have to do with CAS - well......we are in it together and IF MY BRIDE AIN'T HAPPY - WE AINT HAPPY ....and also the fact that I am currently employed at a rehab and work with people with addicitons and we question/talk about issues all the time - this has a tendencey to influence one to look at themselves and try to do better........ and besides == it might just put an idea in some ones head who is reading this to talk to their "Bide/Groom" on a 300 mile trip......... B) (( and I am also known to be a little "Verbose"))

OK - back to the "Odyssey to the CAS Nationals"...........

Desert Jewel & I are staying with one of our (10) son's ( with 5 grandkids - so Jewel is very happy) over in Buckeye AZ = about 50 min south west of "Cowtown" = my first stop for our "Odyssey to the CAS Nationals"

Got the car unpacked and got stuff ready for my trip to Cowtown the next day. Latter in the evening, Adam our son had to run to Wally World to get a new air mattress as the one they had, had a leak and our efforts to repair it met with "futility"...patches, electrial tape and the cure all "Duct Tape" did not do the trick................so we got the new one blown up and hit the sack about 11:30....Boy am I tired!....set the alarm for 5:15am so's I had enough time to get to Cowtown early - that was the plan.... -_- - JT had called and told me to show up early so's I would not have to park way out.....so that was the plan.........

Geezzeee.........awake at 4:30.......are you kidding me.....gotta go to the bathroom....one of the joys of being a "Senior".......along wtih "Random Hair Growth" - ((now that's special )) - I know some of you can relate..... :P ....ok - try to go back to sleep.....may have slept - not sure..........ya know what I mean???

Ok = up at 5:15 (did I sleep?) and shower and dress, eat some fruit and drink my energy drink, load car with guns and out the door and on the road by 6:02am............. kewl....sometimes it goes better when your by yourself........ya know what I mean? Jewel is going to be enjoying the grandkids for the whole day!

Ok - got this nice printed out off of puter set of directions and watching the sun start to peek over the mountains to the east???....is that way east...???....better look at the map..........anyway, head out towards the I 10...

Oh crap.......diaster..........wheres the Dentyne???...I always chew Dentyne (( only Dentyne Classic - have to order it online - Ok Ok we all have our issues - ya know??))...searching thru my cowboy hat...well all my loose stuff is in my Cowboy hat...upside down in the passenger seat.....(ok - so maybe I'm not as organized as you think)....nope...no gum.....darn.............so pull over to the gas stop right befor I 10...go in....searching the gum kiosk...no luck...had to settle for Juicey Fruit....ok, shake it off...we can get through this..... :huh:

Ok - back on track, crusing along and get on the I 10.......then hit the 303 North...............then it was supposed to deadend at Lake Pleasent road...... but.......noooo................it is blocked off, orange cones all over the road...I hate orange cones....get off on exit and got a choice.....left or right......I know the Range is to the North......left is going North.......so I go left......drive, drive.... residential..........more residential....not looking good...drive some more....oh crap....what's that on the horizon....is it...could it be......dam......orange cones....dead end.....do the U turn.......back over the same residential....looking at clock....telling my self - "I still have all the time I need to do everything I need to do" ( a little "mantra" I use to not get anxious)

Ok - remember a shopping center with a food store - Safeway I believe......drive some more...shopping center approaching......pull in.......ok gotta do it...I am "lost"....gotta ask for directions.....( ok - think what ya like - I had to do it)....see a guy getting out of this car....jump out of mine and hailed him...'Sir" - "Hey Mister"....he looks, keeps walking.......is it my Yellow Suspenders?...call him again, "can you help me with directions"?......he stops I walk up to him with the "puter generated map"..."I am looking for..." he looks hesitant - is it the Yellow suspenders?....tell him Ben Avery - he thinks he has heard of it....good...starts telling me directions....confusion on my part.....he is telling me turns not visual landmarks - he is young....probably explains it.....I think I understand, but don't ask more than twice cause it is embarassing enough to have to ask for directions in the first place....old school ya know?

Thank him and get back in the wagon (I got a Mercury Station Wagon - "cruise up and down the road" - remember the song????) .....anyway I digress........ok what were those turns again...go a ways and by golly - we are back on track.....maybe there is not such a gap in communications between younins and old school...??

Occasional sprinkle of rain on windshield.....hope I don't have to use the rain coat!

Fiddle with the radio............looking for old rock and roll........wanna get fired up for "Fire and Ice"..... most of the stations are speaking/singing Spanish...interesting, could not find R&R did find Country......good enough

Found a road called Happy Valley, then found Lake Pleasant Parkway ( could this be N. Lake Pleasant Road? - just named it Parkway cause it was in a fancier shopping area...??) Yeap turned out to be Lake Pleasant road.........now gotta remember to turn at the bar...that's away from the bar - not into the bar.....

Sun was up pretty good by then....arrived at around 8:00am........bout 30 minutes latter than I planned......... still pretty cloudly, brought rain coat and hoping I don't have to use it, been here before, rough road driving in.....lots of cars and trucks already, went to park in open area close to range and guy comes up with a german shepherd (is that a leg bone in the shepheard's mouth)and say's - "I got 200 paintballers coming in so you can't park here"....so I'm thinking..."Dam, why don't you put out some ""ORANGE CONES""...and why do "Paintballers have Shepherds with leg bones in their mouths......oh - cause they don't carry real guns maybe....???

Ok - need to do the bathroom thing again..........should I unpack and then walk the 100 yds to the range........or look for the bathroom first.......decisions, decisions.....ok being Senior I will look for the bathroom first..(you learn this thru experience).....start walking...25.....50...yds, don't see no bathrooms...darn.....see the range and lots of people ( thinking - can't stop to chat - focus on finding the bathroom) waving to some folks I know ( they are probaly thinking - why doesn't Wolf stop to talk?) ...head to the outside of the fence = less people there...no bathrooms......ok gotta do it....I stop somebody and ask for directions - (that's twice in one day :o ) ....they point back where I came from and said "I believe there are some back there"...and I say's "No...they had locks on them"......he points to the far end of the range......"I know there's some down that away"....oh great....as I look down to the far end of the range I notice a long line of Cowboys and Cowgirls at the main covered area and wished I had arrived about 30 minutes earlier.....ok . back to the bathroom hunting....continue on the outside of the fence, wavin at some folks, you know why...and there they are...two Portas...short line...oh good......

Whew.....relief.......ok - heading back.....now more decisions, go the 100 yds to the car and unpack or get in the line?? looked at the line, nope - better get in line......lucky I brought my wallet outa my hat........I get in line....

Ok = due to bandwidth - I will not go into all the folks I met and the conversations we had, besides that, I would probably have to go to the bathroom to many times....so consider your selves luckey ;)

Ok get in the back of the long line and Giggles comes up and gives me a hug and hands me the obligatory paperwork to fill out.....and I borrow her pen and start the task of trying to fill out the paperwork legibly on my wallet......

Waves and hugs from friends...............this is a great fantasy sport ain't it???.....get to the head of the line.......only pay $20 since I will be shooting only Saturday, I will be in Church with Jewel and our kids and grandkids on Sunday. Got to meet Barbed Wire for the first time and thanked her for all her help and information she gave me over the phone.

More hugs,kisses & handshakes.....great sport - great friendships........ priceless.... reminds me...where did I put my credit card??? Oh - it's in my wallet.

Head back the 100yds to unpack the Wagon (cruise up and down the road?)....good thing I started those Aqua Aerobics a few weeks ago.....lost 10 punds....((I'm faster now too - yeah right))..reminds me - Jewel wanted to know what the "other" 12 ladies in the class were like....I told her they were all mostly our age or older..... :unsure: - and we are all in water up to our necks...so there's not any like I remember what they look like........(do ya think I might be in hot water up to my neck??)

Get back to unpacking - gets to the car, after 10 years of CASing I got a pretty good system down and get unloaded and set up in about 7 minutes......

Don't forget the rain coat.....still pretty cloudy, throw my lunch bag on the 3 wheeler ( I use a converted 3 wheel baby stroller - easy to push - left the "Popsicle Cart" at home - but everybody still asks me if I have any "Popsicles" - ?)

On todays menu we have

1. Dry sliced Hard Salami w/ Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese (cheese/salami/cheese mini sandwich)

2. Fresh Blueberries & Fresh Pinapple

3. An assortment of Sweet & Spicey Beef Jerkey, Hershey Kisses, Almond/Cashew Nut Clusters and mini Resses Peanut Butter Cups.

4. Cran Energy Pomegranate Drink

5. Fuze "Refresh" Strawberry Guava Drink ( my personal favorite)

6. A water

Start pushing the cart the 100 yds back to the range..........

I am viewing shooting Fire and Ice as a practice for Winter Range, will only be shooting one day - Saturday, and I have been working on a new shotgun loading technique for the past two weeks and I still need more practice if you know what I mean....

Brought about 1200 rounds and plan to practice Mon/Tue also.............and luckily Pea Patch called we while we were on the road and told me there was a cancellation for the Wed 8am warm up match - so will be glad to to be able to do that....

Ok - Range is getting closer..........here we go.......

NEXT INSTALLMENT:

1. Posse #2 Fire & Ice

2. Spirits High - a Little Damp?

3. WOW - that was fast!

4. New Friends

5. Are you sure that was a Miss???

Most humble regards......Wolf Wind-Walker

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:ph34r::blink: Thanks Charlie - see ya in a couple of days.....travel safe.

Hired Gun....great to hear from you....been along time.....hope you are well....WWW

Chapter # 2 "Odyssey to the CAS Nationals"Saturday

Ok - Range is getting closer..........here we go.......

WOW..........a whole bunch of folks here............better part of 200+ maybe...........that guy looks familiar, what was his name again????.....I bet I will be doin a lot of that this week....."what was their name thingy".....tough bein Senior ya know... :blush: .

I had picked up my posse assignment - Posse #2.......figured we would start on stage 2 so moved my cart to there.....for those who have not been to Cowtown before we might drop a brief description in here.......(brief - can I do that? :rolleyes: )

Cowtown sits in a narrow canyon between two hills....and narrow being about maybe 30+ yds across???.............figured it was an old wash by the looks of it (arn't all canyons old washes?)...and it was confirmed by some pictures I saw on the SASSS wire awhile back when the folks here had a flood and had a BUNCH of water running about 10 yds? behind the facades

.............then they said the government said their two far bays on the right were on some kind of land they could NOT be on.......so looks like they got creative and created two bays on the left side out of their range which was their parking lot ( that's what they said during the announcements).

Pretty senic with cacti and scrub brush...a few trees scattered around...was told their is an old movie set on top of the hill to the right and it is now used for SWAT.......all the facades are build in front of the wash to the left.......close together and they are fairly narrow ....most about maybe 10or12ft wide......loading tables and unloading tables are joined together on each side of the facades.. pistol targets & SG's for the most part are about 3or4 yds from the facades.......then a berm about 3or4 ft tall behind them........then the wash, 10yds wide? and then start going up the side of the left hill - with rifle targets, maybe about 50 ft from the firing line? and most of them above eye level so you are shooting slightly uphill........

Footing is mostly sandy (it is an old wash yaknow)and some facades have wood floors. Some are covered with metal roof and there are several covered areas back from the firing line, the big one has picinic tables, they had a big fire ring with a good fire going, but it was not needed as it was probably around high 50's...........still cloudy....hope I don't need that rain coat........

Where bay 1& 2 are now (old parking lot) there are concrete risers going up the hill accross the wash......thinkin it might have been an old rodeo site or some kind of small race track...have to ask someone.......I will probably be back there practicing Mon & Tues.

Did a whole bunch more greetin n' meetin (and LADIES - thanks for all the hugs n' kisses :D )and chatted with Wrangler Ron for a bit, then they made some announcements and we headed to our starting stages.

What a Posse...Posse # 2 - you rock ..Had a bunch of folks from Norway and Sweden and Constible Nelson from down under and he brought a crew with him......JT Wild, Twelve Mile Reb and an old friend of ours from Alaska Four Bucks and he brought Fast hammer with him, Lilly Long, Sonora and her husband from Colorado....

Here I go gettin into hot water again.....this Miss Sonora was a attractive pettite lady and she was a wearin a short ...hum maybe it was a square dancin skirt ???? and cowboy boots.....so ya kinda notice her legs..........ya know what I mean.......I mean they are right there in plain view.......now these legs look real familiar to me......they remind me of my brides....same kinda shape......so's......(yeah it's comin - ya know where my cowboy boot is gona end up)......when I get home and am tellin Jewel and the kids about the events of the day...........so's I get to the part about the folks on my posse and innocently tell my bride about this lady who is wearing this short square dancin skirt and her legs reminded me of Jewels/Lynda's,...(insert foot here).....and she says "why were you looking at her leg's?"

no answer..... standin there shakin my head slowly from side to side....."cause they were the same shape as your's honey and they just caught my eye...cept they was a little more tan..!!"......daughter-in-law "what do you mean more tan"...(oh crap - how do I get out of this one?) " she had a little more color, not a lot tho" I say's....Jewel " yeah mine are pasty white"....(THE LOOK.....go ahead just say something)......been at this awhile, been through enough pain - so I don't say nothing....me leaving the room still slowly shaking my head from side to side.........better go extract this foot from my mouth.......

Ok - back to the posse......and a bunch of other folks who's names I don't remember....sorry guys and gals.......will do better at WR cause I will have 3 days to learn the names..... :P

Ok....starting to get some sprinkles.....get all my gear off the cart and get "dressed"......guns feel good hangin on my hips......I'm lookin down and thinkin....pants are fitting better and don't seem to have the girth on me belly I had before....glad I took that Aqua Aerobics class.......we start gatherin around.......JT is the posse leader and makes his usual announcements including an appology to the folks from Europe that they drew the short straw in being on "his" posse....( think I can use that later - he ;) he) so's we comence to shooting......sprinklin more....Stages were pretty straight forward, 2/3/3/2s, Lawrence Welk etc......I wanted to start out slow and shoot as clean as possible....sprinklin off and on........hum.....might need that rain coat....every thing was running pretty smooth ......sprinklin harder off and on.....ok better put the rain coat on.........had to occasionaly wipe the guns off before shooting....nothing major yet, shoot wise of rain wise....I was pretty causous - did have a miss on stage #3...are you sure that was a miss????......pistol was norman distance for me - rifle was out farther than I was used to so was going pretty slow on them.....still practicing that new Shotgun loading technique -- only doing it live fire now.....

Boy, some of these guys are pretty fast......Duece Stevens was on Posse #1 to our left.......I heard him before I saw him.............and when I saw him......WOW - that was fast......JT, Reb, Four Bucks shootin FCD, one of the Europien guys, fast hammer, lady named Clancey from down under & Constible Nelson....these folks can move, were all fast..and others....some shooting down in the teens.....me shooting SD, most of mine were in the mid 20's felt OK and started pushing up to speed....and the rain started pushing up to speed too.........boy GLAD i BROUGHT THAT RAIN COAT....and the big umbrella I have on my cart was attracting several ladies and needless to say I did not mind in the least......

Every body was having a pretty good time......some were having gun issues, assorted firing pins on doubles and ejected rounds and one poor fella from Europe had ammo problems...ya really feel for these folks and wish it would go better for them......

Long about stage #4 rain had picked up and I started shootin 2nd in line behind this European fella cause I wanted not to wait......picked up the speed abit more too.....had a second miss but the shotgun loadin was getting better ...especially after throwing 3 rounds on the ground on stage #3..(shot that one in 30secs).. :rolleyes:

By stage #5 the rain was kinda gusting in on a 45 degree angle.......and folks were crowding for shelter...this made my big unbrella a more popular place and with one lady one each side of me....life is good.......(no names can be mentioned at this time to protect the innocent :ph34r: ).

Ok by stage #6...saw some folks from other posses leaving but Posse #2 was hangin in there...could have been because we were on two stages that had semi cover...???

OH crap.......almost forgot......made two more trips to see John during the course of the day, must be the damp weather.....met some nice folks in line.... :)

Ok --- last stage finished..........head back to the wagon and unload - peel of the rain coat....BTW - it is my old Harley Davidson riding rain coat and works real well......jump in the wagon and head for Buckeye.........overall I felt good about the day, new friends, playin cowboy, good practice and I got MOISTURIZED!!!!

NEXT INSTALLMENT:

1. Scouting Winter Range

2. Where can I keep my gun cart??? Danny where are you???

3. Back to Cowtown for practice

4. LOOKING FOR SUNSHINE!!!!!!

Wolf....

Thanks for the postings! Ya make me see what you're seeing.... VERY entertaining. Wishing we coulda made the trip, but this year business was good and we couldn't leave. Hopefully we'll met up down the trail somewheres. Ya shootin' Wild Bunch or side matches???? Keep those stories commin!

Miss Cubbie

:lol:

Wow I am going to be on my best behavior at WR and not complain about shotgun feathers on the range. I would sure hate to end up in a blog somewhere for all to read about. Looking forward to seeing you again. GCK

Nice Journal WWW. BTW; I was there, sorry I missed you. Hope we can meet at WR.

You can't miss me in the crowd at WR, just look for the Cowboy with the Hat and Boots on. :lol: :lol: :lol:;)

When we get the Posse assignments Tuesday at WR check-in, please post yours. This way we can find each other.

Wire Paladin and I will post our Posse number also.

Later, Pard.

...here I am, reading along, and then______________________________________

....and then_____________________________

...is there another installment??????????????????

Brief interlude.........

Just got back from Winter Range..........

Holy Cow, Lord a Mercey, Phantasmgorical, Heavens to Betsey....Did I die and go to Heaven???.....I ain't never seen nothin like Winter Range........I wanna live there........told my bride to tell the kids we would be coming again next year......it is HUGE!!!!

I gotta go lay down...am tired cause I spent all my energy being overwhelmed and trying to keep my jaw from dragging on the ground......seriously.....whoever is doing this did one fantastic job.......they even had some very brite Yellow targets.....(anybody who knows me understands the Yellow thing)......and the ones who don't know will find out on Saturday... :D

I am serious about the nap part......I will catch up on the next Chapter/Installment this evening....gonna go dream about WR (I did walk the Warm Up stages - GAMER I R :P )

Oklahomabound..hang in there - mores a comin......... :FlagAm:

PS: I am on Posse #36.....

Thur - Stage 12 @ 2:00 pm - then 9,10,11

Fri - Stage 4 @ 11:00 am - then 1,2,3

Sat - Stage 8 @ 8:00 am - then 5,6,7

Sunday Probably not in the Top Gun ;)

Maybe on the Awards Stand>>>????? :huh:

Ya'll come see me now...ya hear???

Ah gee honey.....don't worry ...the fella's will watch me....and the ladies will watch me too?? ...somebodies gotta keep me out of trouble.... ^_^

Hi Miss cubbie.......nope - no Wild bunch (no gun) no side matches either.....just focusing on main match.....

Allie Mo...still savin u a dance.... B) and may be able to get some pictures up....

GCK...."Feathers on the Range"..??? - who ever heard of such a thing...??? :ph34r: looking forward to seeing you also.....

Lefty - I'll look for you....I'll be wearing glasses and a mustache and suspenders...

Posse #36

Chapter # 3 "Odyssey to the CAS Nationals"Monday

Whew......yawn.......boy what a day..........

Up and out today at 10:20am heading for WR......took me about 50 min and seeing the orange cones today wasn't so bad....

Here we go...first time............turning into the Fish and Game....drive about 50 yds and can see the top of the big white tent from here......looks pretty big... JT had given me directions and I headed over to the tent area......aproaching the parking lot and it is huge too......and seein all the vendor tents and campers scattered all over the lot and range.... drive down the main road and pull in the parking lot across from the main tent which is about 20 ft tall? and 4 car lengths wide?....kewl......lots of other tents in rows going away on both sides of the main tent....I park and get out and head for the main tent and go in and look for Pea Patch, introduce myself and thank her for all the help she was over the phone and she is a very sweet attractive lady just like JT said (I can blame it on him now :o)...she tells me she will be opening registration at noon and I thank her and head out the other side of the tent.....

And low and behold.....more tents...headin right and left....and 5th wheels and buses and pickemup trucks....and folks working settin up and drivin around in assorted golf/gun carts...

Walk down one of the row of tents...many are still empty - some starting to set up and a few already set up.....find C&I and say hi to Jim...course he already has a rifle on his work table and told me it started the day he arrived.....good man Jim.....

Walk out to the range at the far right end......wide wide bay.....practice bay is set up here.....mosey over to bay 11/12 and Coosies store is here and Ft. Sinclair....boy I miss ole Dead Eye......he was fun to shoot with and then go our and eat with....lots of good memories......these facades are fantastic...props are great and targets are painted in bright colors and bulk are in black...lots of hay bales scattered around....some being used to seperates loading and unloading tables from firing line....

Then to stage 9/10 Depot and Train love the detail of the stages.......all seem freshly painted and all have assorted props scattered around for better ambience....

Stage 8 had canons and Dupont Powder cans and ordanince boxes....and a bunch of tents pitched on the side with bed rolls and camp stuff.......extrodinary detail.....some folks were still painting props and putting finishing touches on gear and props...

Said hi to lots of folks and complemented them on how great the range was...some stoped and chatted and warmly welcomed me when they found out this was my first time at WR....talked to Larson for a minute.....and ran into some new friends we had made at our Holiday shoot from Canada.....

Found Handle Bar Hanks in the middle of the vendor area and got hugs from him and Madame Chardonay(SP?)and just had to get a Philly Cheese Steak.....you should try one if you get the chance.......and Danny was good enought to let me park my gun cart at his rig so I don't have to wheel it back and forth......

Went to the big tent and got registered and got my packet and shooter bag....big shooter bag......then got the shooter book out and found my rotation and went and walked the first 4 stages we will shoot on Thur....then walked the 4 stage we would shoot for warm up match....most stuff is pretty simple and target distance in good.....about 12 ft? for pistol and 17ft for rifle?....varies from stage to stage....vibrant blues and red and flat blacks, and of course the ever popular Yellow - different heights and stagered on distance from firing line too....nothing looked like it was in a straight line.......some had only 2 SG and others had 4 & 6.....most stages you can start from either side and go either direction with target order.....

2 knock down plate racks for rifle - which you can reload and make up

2 plate racks for pistol - which can be made up with SG on a make up SG target....interesting

2 fliers ( soda cans ) can be made up with SG also......

Plenty of movement and seems after walking stages that it is set up to run pretty fast....all targets are generous in size with a couple of exceptions.....some target orders you will have to think a bit - because of target stagering and sequence to see which way is best to shoot it for you....

Looks very interesting and a nice dose of variety included....

And the props and stages..........way kewl.....yeap - I could live here.... B) the new Saloon is huge and roomy and I think it is big enough to create an echo...echo...echo...???

Roamed around and talked with more folks and old friends and sat at a picnic table and looked through my packet then toured sutters row again.....stopped by White Wolf Trading Company and introduced myself as they are coming up to St George in April to our annual Rukus....fell in love with a great hat that had a lot of character (prebroke in)...as if I am not character enough... ;) but at 250 - gonna have to dream awhile more, stopped and said hi to Redwing and he beat me up a bit for switching over to Senior Duelist.....tells me I should go back to Traditional... -_- ....then I headed out to the car and thought I should go practice at Cowtown.......

And BTW - we did get a beautiful day today.......partly cloudly and about 65 + degrees...perfect shooting weather.....

JT had told me since I went to Church with the kids and grandkids on Sunday that I missed an even wet-er day than Saturday was.......it was a good day to go to Church....

Got to Cowtown and almost every bay had someone practicing......said hi to Barb and plunked my gear down on a stage and ran through some pistol - rifle drills...feelin pretty good....need to concentrate on maintianing my grip consistanly...switched to SG drills and low and behold - I didn't throw any :lol: SG on the ground...I am improving in my old age....then put all 3 guns together for several drills and am getting smoother....let"s see if I can maintain that when the pressure is on in 3 days........ :blush:

Talked to Lassiter a bit and visited with OT Hutch and Sally, met Teddy Bear and watched him shoot gunfighter some....Duece showed up and watched him and listened to the stacoto sound of his pistols.....that boy can move....OT told me some of the guys had been there since 7 am...it was now around 2:30...wow....I didn't even bring enough ammo to run for that much time......ya think some of these folks are serious....../?? <_<

Lead bender and Lilly were over practicin Wild Bunch along with other folks doing the same... I packed up and sat on the tailgate of the wagon and ate some salami and cheese and pinnaple and drank a Fuze and watched and listened to the sound of gunfire and watched the smoke drift lazily across the range under the semi cloudly blue Arizona sky.....and though to myself.......I better go to the john before I head home......

Gotta go home and count out ammo and see how much I have left to practice with.....think I'm gonna need it......

Yeah Charlie......it was growin by the minute when I was there yesterday....

Jim is set up about half way down the right side of the range......and kinda in the middle of the vendor rows ................white trailer and he is parked diagonal to the firing line....not parallel..........hope that helps

Also - I am on warm up posse #103..on Wednesday..starting on bay.....11 @ 8:00am

Gonna grab a shower n' go out and watch some Wild Bunch then cruise sutters row and maybe go over to Cowtown n' practice some more......

Ya'll be well n' have a great day......WWW

Allie Mo...still savin u a dance.... B) and may be able to get some pictures up....

... Most humble regards......Wolf Wind-Walker

Hi WWW,

Thanks for thinking of me. Some folks would warn you about dancing with me. :unsure: Seems I was born with two left feet. :rolleyes:

:wub:

Allie Mo

:lol:

Thanks for more of the journal, Wolf.

Please give White Wolf a hug from me - she's GREAT!! Gunstock Smith and I buy a bunch of stuff from her and Cimmeron at their shop. They're coming out to the Texican Rangers Comancheria Days Texas State Match in May..... you and yore bride ever been out this way?? We put on a wonderful shoot!!

Miss Cubbie

Tuesdays = Brief interlude.........

Whew..........another glorious exhausting day.......nap time and then I will post next installment later this evening.........

YeeeeeeHaaaaaa.........Yawn.... :blink:

www,

i'm on 34 so were on the same wave. its pretty amazing how many people are already here huh? where was C&I? i have not seen them yet. gonna have to keep an eye out for jim bowie

CC

Jim has his trailer set up setting North/South at almost the East end of the vendor tents. Has a big window on the East side for customers.

Miss Allie....they tell me I am a great leader/dancer....so two left feet is ok with me - will just circle to the right... :)

Why Miss Cubbie - is that an invite>>>>??? and - no - we have never been out your way to shoot......got an old friend down Texas way tho...go's by the monicker of Dusty Lone Star.... i'll give White Wolf a hug and they are coming to vend at our "Rukus" in April before they head down your way........so......maybe I should invite you up our way to shoot in April>>>>?????

Chapter # 4 "Odyssey to the CAS Nationals"Tuesday

Headed out about 9:15 am and day is starting out warmer already......leasurily drive out to WR and parked and just took the camera with me and started my tour of vendors row again....found my "Friday" Red shirt (in tribute to our troops) at Red Wings and bought that and Karen held it for me until I was ready to leave......seein a whole bunch of folks I have shot with over the last ten years I have been playin this game......ran into Punch from my first club back east....had not seen him in about 8 years......the infamous Wild Life Rangers at Damascus MD....old Chuckaroo and the gang.....that is where I got my start ---so's you can blame those guys....Punch and I reminised about Three Finger Jake and some of the stories that got passed around......

Some of the vendors are still not set up -- but there is still plenty to look at.....more than plenty......I stayed away from the vendor who had the 350$ hat I was drooling over....ran into Ray from Sweden - we had shot together on Sat at Fire & Ice....come to think of it ----- they should have renamed it "Fire & Rain"....... ;) Ray's a great guy and very fast....didn't know those europeans were that far advanced in our game...but they are....

I videoed all the stages and some of the action during the Wild Bunch Match.....met some folks - spectator types who asked some questions about ammo and targets used for the Wild Bunch and found out they were close to my age and we ran around the same places - around Shepardstown & Martinsburg West Virginia......small world....

JT came up and said hi and we chatted briefly and then went off to shoot WB.....watched Evil Roy make a run and San Juan also.....not sure if this WB thing apeals to me yet.....almost the same as CAS.....but not quite.......ya know what I mean......???? -_- and by all means I am not a "pureist".....I am a minamal-dresser-gamer-fantasy-player type..... :wacko:

Grabbed a bite to eat from a vendor ...brisket with a bun and coke and beans...did the trick for around 7$ food - 2$ coke.....sat at a picnic table and had a leasuriely lunch and watched the cowboys go by with the sound of gunfire in the background....

Ran into Duece and introduced my self and told him I liked his videos and that he wa on the SASS wire in my Journal.......told him how I had heard him shooting on Sat and said "That boy is fast"....he said he liked my videos on youtube and I told him about how we had made them with only one take and no script....and afer seeing them I would have done a few things different.....said bye and left him to his snowcone ...seems like a nice young man

Wandered around some more and filmed some more.............went over and checked out the Posse lists.....only know about 4 folks - so figure I'll make a few new friends.....

Dixie was there and I asked her if I should ask her how she did today....and she said "no"...so that answers that......(cause usually when she does good she runs up and tells me)............she was checking our the lists too and asked me how many were in my catagory....hum I don't know......oh - good idea.....so I started counting all the Senior Duelists....1----4---7--holy cow...I'm only at Posse 5 and there are 36 posses....9-10-13-....geeze - where did all these old guys come from.......15-18-21.....ya got to be kidding me....24-26-......boy oh boy....total 33 in my class........well...better go practice some more.......maybe practice a LOT!!!

Went over and picked up my shirt --- looks good I tell ya and headed for the car......course it took me another half hour to get there after saying hi to all the folks I saw....

It is now about 2:15 ... been here for about 4 hours.......this could get to be addictive....maybe I can come up with a tweleve step program......who am I kidin...they probably already have one........

Got over to Cowtown and unloaded and counted out ammo.....need to keep enough for Warn-Up and Main Match and going to use the rest to practice.....about 8 folks at the range practicin so was not hard to find a bay....ended up next to Lassiter again and greeted each other...found out he had been ther since 8 in the am and a lady was askin him how many rounds he had been throught "so far today" and he figured around 1600 pistol....I did not even bring that much ammo altogether for Rifle Pistol & Shotgun......course after watching him again I can see what the results are...he is smooth and very precise and fast.....we chatted later and he shared some tips with me about my pistol handling as a duelist......appreciated the lesson.....

Ran some drills and chatted with some more folks and Hellfire came over and was showin me some new federal shoptgun ammo at only 900ft/sec....he let me try some and if was really light, gonna have to check some of them out when I get home....Lucey was ther too - had not seen tham in about 3/4 years......Lucey and I talked a litte Real Estate and had a nice visit...

Packed up the wagon and sat and ate my salami and cheese and pinnaple and guess what.....???? yeap you guessed it......decided to make a trip to see john before I departed........

Came back to our sons house and sorted out my ammo for the Warm Up match tomorrow at 8am and I gotta be there by 7AM...so gonna be an early night.....

Will see how this "practicin thingy" works out tomorrow when the buzzer goes off for the first time............ ;):o

Off to bed.........hope ya'll are havin some good days.....be well...........Wolf

...mighty fine update...

...this may be one of those that goes on the bucket list...

......ran into Punch from my first club back east....had not seen him in about 8 years......the infamous Wild Life Rangers at Damascus MD....old Chuckaroo and the gang.....that is where I got my start ---so's you can blame those guys....Punch and I reminised about Three Finger Jake and some of the stories that got passed around......

My first Regional, many years ago, was at the Harrisburg club with Punch as the posse marshal. 3 Fingers was a hell of a guy. Fastest hand gunnner I ever saw.

Tex

Wolf, Lou here. I'm the lady that was over at the church stage yesterday jawin' with Lassiter. Guess I shoulda introduced myself a little better. We'll say Howdy proper over at WR. I generally expend 50 rounds of pistol for practice 3-4 times a week which is why I asked Lassiter that question. I'm going to have to work on casting and reloading faster to practice as much as he does!

Wolf,

Sorry I can't be there. At least my shooters badges will be seeing a lot of action!

Travel safe, and lay off the coffee.

Hugs to Jewel.................

Roo

Hi WWW,

Thanks for thinking of me. Some folks would warn you about dancing with me. :unsure: Seems I was born with two left feet. :rolleyes:

:wub:

Allie Mo

Don't let Allie Mo fool ya, I KNOW she can dance, and well.

Posse 18! Gonna shoot some trap today and get ready for the shindig tomorrow.

OK Wolf,after reading this I must do everything in my power to be at Winter Range next year.Best of luck to you my friend see ya.Lefty Pete

:D Well, yes, it's an invite!! B) Your old friend, Dusty Lone Star is our TG. Know him well! The Texicans put on a great match and have a wonderful range with camping available. Lots of grass and shade, plenty of stages and lots of vendors coming!

We'd love to come out your way sometime, but April is really busy at our shop....Gunstock Smith is appropriately named for our business! We've got several big Trap and Sporting Clays shoots going on here in San Antonio in April.... not possible to get away then.

When I lived out in Cottonwood, AZ I was up your way in '03. Drove through St. George and on into Park City.....liked it alot!

Miss Cubbie

I have not got to meet you yet but I am thouroughly enjoying your posts.

Makes me wish I was there....maybe next year.

Thanks for sharing.

http://www.slide.com/r/BLsXrBYWyD9PbMRA7CeqeMMiJwDf34Fb?previous_view=mscd_embedded_url&view=original

Jewel Here, as Wolf and I were driving home from the range this evening I saw this most wonderful sunset and just had to take a picture.

Stunning isn't it? I will try to post some other pictures later, as I am learning how to do this with the help of my daughter whom we are visiting.

But just a note on the range. It is unbelievable. Great vendors and lots and lots of them! The stages looked great. Met many wonderful friends and made great new ones! I heard the WB match was really tough. Lots of backsplash and blood. Your badge of honor so to speak....

Wolf will be posting later. Take care and hugs to all..

Desert Jewel

184210_10150164225082193_688627192_8084445

Jewel Here, as Wolf and I were driving home from the range this evening I saw this most wonderful sunset and just had to take a picture.

Stunning isn't it? I will try to post some other pictures later, as I am learning how to do this with the help of my daughter whom we are visiting.

But just a note on the range. It is unbelievable. Great vendors and lots and lots of them! The stages looked great. Met many wonderful friends and made great new ones! I heard the WB match was really tough. Lots of backsplash and blood. Your badge of honor so to speak....

Wolf will be posting later. Take care and hugs to all..

Desert Jewel

Yup, great selection of CAS stuff from vendors. Was told today there are over 90 vendors at WR.

Roan - glad you are liking it........

Tex.....yeah - Jake used to say he was the fastest gun who ever lived......when he was "on"...he was a bluurrrr......

Ah Lou.....sorry "I" missed out ..(and being so close to you too)....would have loved to meet & chat with you "officially".....course we were both listening to Lassiter....please look me up at the Range..WWW

Roo..we's been talkin about ya.....Jewel says Hi and hugs back....

"OH AND FOLKS......Roo was the fella who helped me get started.......so you can blame it all on him.... :lol::rolleyes::wacko::wub::D Love you Man!

Mad Dog - look me up at the range......you can tell me about Miss Allie.... ;)

Lefty - I will hold you to that....regards......Wolf

Miss Cubbie - White Wolf got her hug and says Hi back....I'll have to give you the hug when I see you............how bout the Senior Games in Oct...in St George.???? I would love to make a trip to Texas and see Dusty and meet ya'll sometime.....WWW

Complicated Lady........it would truely be my honor....I have admired you from afar and await the day of our meeting....(Wolf Tips his hat in a low bow)...I so enjoy a Complicated Lady... :D ..Regards.....Wolf

GCK - good seein you today.......and about that stuff I was going to put on the wire about you.......well.......for now you have a reprieve.....just chalk it up to my lite mood..or perhaps my profound tiredness,,,,,??? :P ...........and yes - heard there were 94 vendors from Bob Mernickle.....who has some nice leather btw.....

OK - back to our regular programing.......da...da...da....da..WWW

Frustration...dag nab it.....!!!!

OK Ok ok......had this really witty repartee as I was up at 3:30 am this morning....and put it on the wire........but NOOOOOOO,,,,post did not post.......probably operator error don't ya know......and of course now I can not remember how witty I was.... :huh:

So on to todays events.....

Chapter # 5 "Odyssey to the CAS Nationals"Wednesday

Ta da...day of truth......practice makes perfect.......course it wasn't perfect practice....so.......

Holy crap it's cold........arrived at 6:45am......glad I brought my long johns on the trip....but unfortunetly it did not occur to me to put them on this morning........ :angry:

About 43degrees......bundled up in my big coat and wearing gloves....glad coat has a hood....keeping my ears warm....MENTAL note....wear long johns on saturday for the early start........

Forgot my arm strap (tendon-itis)- glad it's just practice.......4 stages for warm up....yeah...warmin up would be nice...forgot to take my MSM - helps me move better.....some heat would help me move better too.....

Have a brief meeting in the big tent - sitting with Wicked Sister and Sonora -- Aspen Filly

comes up and and is greeting Sonora and they are chatting like girls do....and Aspen says something about Trashy lady.....nope - I am not gonna tell....you will have to ask her....I just hollered support....... -_-

Ok - on to the event.......we's all headin out the tent and sayin hi to friends and hugs n' kisses...(my lips are getting parched)....so we head over to stage #11 the Fort and are startin there.......don't remember how many folks..maybe around 24??.....and Shifty Jack is our Posse leader.......gotta watch how I spell that one......

Minimun double tap on 3 targets......pretty simple.....take rife with you to SG....lot of folks tripped up on that...................comes my turn and I am ready....???? fingers a bit cold ....thank goodness I went to the john.....

Buzzer goes off - pistol was cold - hands were cold - air was cold -and....managed to do pistol run without incident altho a bit slow with getting grip on gun....ran to rifle and blazed....good run....almost put rifle down and then took it to SG - now heres where the storie gets interesting.......cold hands....cold gun....cold SG shells.....makes for cold handling.....I pick 97 up with left hand..(no brace remember?)- grab 2 with right hand and procede to slam fire 1st round and miss - hit with second then repeat......yes - slam fire 3rd round and miss then hit with 4th and by then compose myself and hit last two....so 6 rounds instead of 4.......did it around 30.78 sec....ok - not bad and I was clean so far.....

Everybody on Posse worked.......Duece was on my posse and the only person I really knew was Gateway Kid.....Duece did some 11 & 13 sec runs during the warmup and like I said - that boy can move.......I asked him how much the operation cost to short stroke his thumb...???

Gettin a bit warmer - but still need gloves and coat as we move to stage #12 oh - and see John again.....

Arrived at Coosies general store......#12 - 2 SG's then 2332 on 4 R targets and dump 10 on big pistol target.....simple enough.......(have I said that before?)anyways...do this one a litte better and only manage to throw a live SG on the floor......(((ok - ok what do you expect - I told you I was working on a new SG loading technique....the key word is "working"...and it still needs some work.....so give me a break..)))felt pretty good about this one - cleaned it and ran a little faster than the last stage.....21.36...

Warmin up a bit more and unzip jacket as I head to see John.....before the next stage...#9

#9 was Depot- double neveda sweep on 3 targets....no problem cept ther were 7 rifle targets - so's you had to use the ones you thought were best....I picked the 3 blue ones.....oh wait - they were all blue....( actually I picked the 3 biggest ones and closest ones - the were going away from you) - after I shot - several folks caught on to what I was doing and copied it....darn gamers.....managed to get all the SG in the gun this time - cept single loaded two of them as I only pulled one at a time.......ran this one in 23.37....

Gloves were off.........no literly or is that physically..............anyway - I took my gloves off....it was warm enough by then.....and moved over the the Train....last stage...#10 Lawerence Welk em.........1 & a 2 & a 3 & a 4...2sg.......

OK - story on this one.....some of you may know that there is a certain nefarious shooter who puts actual feathers in his SG rounds.......calls then "Genuine Feather Lites"....and on this stage whilst that person was shooting his SG - this bird flys up from somewhere under the train and accross the SG targets as he was shooting them....so - red & yellow feathers flyin down range as (grey dove?) fly's up accross targets......some folks are hollerin "you missed the bird" - "no I didn't - did you see alll the feathers flyin??"....it was quite a rush to say the least......of course we won't mention any names..... :ph34r:

Oh - shot this one clean in 21.83 - and lots of style points for the :lol: "Bird"....

So first goal accomplished.......shot the 4 Warm Up stages CLEAN.....maybe this practicin thingy does work....???

Said good bye to Posse and wandered around a bit - then headed back to Buckeye and picked up Jewel and came back to cruise Sutters row......got a bite to eat at Handle Bar Hanks....still my favorite.....and I followqed Jewel as she made her way through all the vendors (I had already been through them so told her to take the lead and I would follow) Course there was a whole bunch of folks she had not seen and all the huggin n' kissin n' greetins started all over again.......ran in to JB Fast and had not seen him in years and we chatted a while - was great to see him............if anybody see's him just ask him about the "KISS".....names are withheld to protect the.......oh never mind.....

Can't tell you about all the folks we ran into and new ones we met and all the neat stuff we looked at......we just did it for over 3 hours.....

One I would like to point out.........I checked out Hellfires "New Guncart"....made out of poplar, folds up real neat and workmanship is great....he put a lot of though into this and it is super light......comes with an umbrellee too..........so you might want to check this one out ........

Ran into Cat and she said Tex was off shooting plainsmen......(well of course he was) and she was out having fun......says they are heading over to Poland this year......SASS is growing.....

That's about it for now........finishing up for tomorrow for the first "REAL" day of shootin main match.......

So folks....tune in - same time same place tomorrow for the furthur adventures of Wolf Wind-Walker and his trusty side kick......wait - I don't have a side kick......hum....how bout trusty partner...Desert Jewel.....ah yes..much better ( I should get some points for that one) - yes dear - I 'm coming to bed soon........

Night all..Wolf

Archived