SASS Wire Forum

Campaign Hats

I'm starting to get my Wild Bunch uniform put together, and have a few questions about the campaign hat. First, where is everybody finding theirs? Second, what brand of hat are you purchasing? And third, how true are these to size (I wear a 7 5/8 hat, in long oval, should I order a 7 5/8 or a 7 3/4)?

I've been looking at a few on eBay, and am considering one of the Trooper Brown Campaign Hats.

Trooper Brown Campaign Hat

link

Miller Hats

Modern campaign hats are similar in appearance to the original 1911 model but the color and brim thickness are different. I was able to find some older ones on Ebay a while back.

Sgt.

Check out the Gray Squirrel's post on LFR Saloon ! Can't wait for the season to start ! I'm ready for this winter to end and get to shooting !

Steeltown

Howdy!

Actually, I bought one from Stratton Hats (what brateman's sells) awhile back. It was very thick felt (not very high quality), with a non-leather sweatband, no lining, and the dimensions were small (brim length and crown height) compared to what was used around the turn of the century. I re-creased the brim and crown (to make it look more turn of the century), had a leather sweatband and satin lining put in, but still wasn't happy with it and eventually sold it off.

If I were to buy one now, here's where I would go:

http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=3624&bc=no

I've bought other gear from them in the past and been pleased. This being nutria really piques my interest, as that was a preferred fur felt in the early part of the 20th century according to my research (you know those real big cowboy hats worn by Mix and others, that could be squished under a vest, and then spring back to shape? Yep, Nutria.)

This being nutria really piques my interest, as that was a preferred fur felt in the early part of the 20th century according to my research

True, for civilian wear, but the Army issue campaign hats were wool felt to keep costs down.

I bought one off Ebay like you're talking about and it's fine. Made in China, quality is good. Paid about $35-40 for it. I wear a 7 1/8 and it's a wee bit tight but that's okay cause it stays on good. I think it will stretch some after it's worn awhile.

When in doubt on size, better a might big. You can always put padding under the sweatband to tighten it a little if need be.

http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=3624&bc=no

I've bought other gear from them in the past and been pleased. This being nutria really piques my interest,

Howdy Sacramento, thanks nice site, all the ones I've seen so far have been wool, not for me. The nutria would be nice, but at that price I think I'll have Colorado Mnt. make me one, he's done two cowboy hats for me, best I've ever had. Good Luck

Colorado Mnt. Hats

Jefro :ph34r:

Archived