SASS Wire Forum

SASS Rugers -- Tuned or Untuned

Bart Solo

I am about to buy some pistols in 38. I have been looking at SASS Rugers. What are the advantages of buying them tuned? Are the advantages worth $75-100 a pisol?

I am about to buy some pistols in 38. I have been looking at SASS Rugers. What are the advantages of buying them tuned? Are the advantages worth $75-100 a pisol?

I'm consevative with my money.

In my very humble opinion IF you are new to the sport, there are no advantages of "tuning" Rugers. Rugers come from factory ready to go.

IF you have been in the sport a few years, have settled on your main match guns AND planned on competing for top gun, spend the $75-100 per pistol.

I know a lot of newer shooters that do great with SASS Rugers right out of the box. I know several fast shooters that are still shooting them straight out of the box, but some add a weaker set of springs but no more. Others want a full blown action job on any gun they shoot. Your mileage may vary.

Bart,

Because you ask, I'll throw my .02 on the table also.

As mentioned above, they are good from the box. But 'tuned' Rugers are nice.....real nice.

If I were getting a new set right now, I wouldn't hestitate to get em from Longhunter, ready to rock-n-roll.

And I would bet that his 'tuned' prices on new pistols are competitive, if not cheaper, than the price you will pay for an untuned set somewhere else. I have not done a survey to prove that but I have seen his advertised prices in the CC and I've seen a couple gun store prices around here.

Anyhow, hope you get what your wanting.

..........Widder

My take on tuned guns and this is a rather recently formed opinion. If you are a slower shooter, why handicap yourself further with a grumpy gritty pair of guns.

If tuned guns are within your budget, go for it. Whether you shoot in the top 10 or the bottom 10 your shooting experience will be much more pleasant.

I would go for the tuned myself, not that much money in the long run, if you buy stock and then later decide to get a action job, then you have shipping plus the cost of the action job, this is my take on it, unless you have somebody local that can do the action job, from stock prices around here, I would go for the Longhunter's pistols, it would save alot in the long run, and I'm still thinking on this myself and getting them from Longhunter, just haven't did it yet. This is my take, take it or leave it

All for now JD Trampas

Guest Texas Jack Black

Why do most a major competitors in all sports use tuned equipment?? The answer is right in front of you Grasshopper ;)

T J B

My take on tuned guns and this is a rather recently formed opinion. If you are a slower shooter, why handicap yourself further with a grumpy gritty pair of guns.

If tuned guns are within your budget, go for it. Whether you shoot in the top 10 or the bottom 10 your shooting experience will be much more pleasant.

That Noz is some Very Sage advice! I want a firearm that functions the way it should,why fight a shake the box assembled gun. Adios Sgt. Jake

I agree that tuned guns are generally better, but I have heard SASS Rugers are pretty good out of the box. I note that Longhunter doesn't do as much to tune a SASS Ruger as his shop does to tune any other pistol.

Wine improves with age, Noz gets smarter.

I have a pair of the Ruger SASS guns. They are very smooth out of the box. At our local shoot a lot of pards are interested and I let them shoot my guns. After they finish the stage, to a man, they all asked were I got them tuned. I just have to grin, when I tell them they are right out of the box with no tuning. If you choose to get a pair you will be happy. They are worth every red cent. IMHO.

Good luck on your quest, Castalia

You will notice a world of difference just by putting a spring kit in them. That will run about $15 a gun and I'm sure that there are a number of people at your club that will be glad to help you put them in. My best shooting pard has been tinkering with Rugers for over 35 years and he has smoothed up the actions on several sets of my Rugers just for something to do. He claims that most of them don't need much work at all other than new springs.

On the other hand, every pair of Ubertis or USFAs I have owned have had to spend time at the gunsmith to be match ready. Just my .02 on the matter.

I bought my SASS Rugers from Longhunter. The difference between what I would have paid locally for the guns plus spring kits made it a no-brainer.

How much better than stock are they? Well, I've never seen a stock pair for sale. If I ever run across a pair of stock guns I'd like to compare them and see.

Jimmy Spurs can tune Ruger to the "nth degree" but you are talking more money. There are time though when that half cock hammer would come in handy!

It depends on what was done to tune them and who did the tuning. At $75-$100 per gun it may be a bargain.

yes the tuned ones are so nice untuned is superbe also i have apear of each will not fault either. long hunter did the tuned set they are verry nice. i will recomend him any time

Bart,

I just bought my wife a set of SASS Rugers from Long Hunter. He did a couple of extra things for me and I would not have done it any other way. Sure, Rugers are great right out of the box but there are things that can be done to improve them. One thing I have noticed over the years in watching new shooters with stock guns and how much they struggle with operating the stock firearms. I know that for my wife and I it takes a lot away from the FUN when you have gun problems or have to fight a stock gun. Granted there is not much fighting with a stock Ruger but I will be buying my next set of Rugers from Long Hunter that are to my liking and ready to go.

Rowdy

Wine improves with age, Noz gets smarter.

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

YOU GONNA MAKE IT TO THE BLAST?

Slick guns are more fun to shoot, just like a hot rod is more fun to drive than a Yugo. I have some very slick guns and a 34 Ford pick-up done the right way with a John Force sound alike Chevy motor. Enjoy them both as much as time allows.

Just the view from my rocking horse

McKenzie

Archived