SASS Wire Forum

Ruger New Vaquero parts question

Hard Cash, SASS #68128

In the frame, under the hammer is a small screw that holds the little button that keep the cylinder from reversing.

Does anyone know the size of the ball-end hex key I need to remove it, so the cylinder will spin both ways???

In the frame, under the hammer is a small screw that holds the little button that keep the cylinder from reversing.

Does anyone know the size of the ball-end hex key I need to remove it, so the cylinder will spin both ways???

The hex key is a 1/16 inch. However I don't recommend it's removal. It causes other problems. Learn to CORRECTLY load and unload the gun and you won't have any need for a free spin cylinder on a Ruger.

The hex key is a 1/16 inch. However I don't recommend it's removal. It causes other problems. Learn to CORRECTLY load and unload the gun and you won't have any need for a free spin cylinder on a Ruger.

What other problems does it cause ?

I have similar advice for my software design team - I keep telling them to learn to

write better code and we won't need a test team testing it before release.

What problems are caused by removing that screw - I've never heard of any and now I'm

curious, given how many folks are using them that way at the CAS events.

Please advise.

Shadow Catcher

Hard Cash

Don't assume that removing that part will mke your revolver cylinder spin backwards.

Even though it probably will. I had an early New Vaquero in the 3000-3500 range that wouldn't untill I swaped out the Pawl. I also know of one particular gun that went back to Ruger Twice and continued to "lock up" until that part was removed. The parts only funtion is to align the cylinder for loading and unloading and otherwise preforms no other usefull pourpose! If you do it you will be on a long list of those who have!

With Colts, you put the hammer on half cock and when it "clicks" the chamber is aligned with the loading gate. When it clicks with Rugers the cylinder is just past the gate. Most people figure it out. When Ruger came out with the "new" Vaquero, they added the detent that "clicks" at the same position as a Colt.

Having had a BUNCH of both, most of the "new" Vaqueros click twice; once on the pawl, once on the detent, at least the ones I've had. Very few would "free spin" when only the detent was taken out. Take our the detent and the NRV "clicks" just like the old one. Hear the click and that chamber is past the loading gate. I have some of both and it doesn't bother me. I do notice that the cylinder spins a lot more freely without the detent.

Even without the detent, there is no way for this to affect the timing or function on the gun. The detent has no other purpose (it doesn't even prevent the cylinder from rotating backwards when you don't want it to because the pawl does that) than to give "colt clicks" to a Ruger.

Removed mine too. No problems so far. Mine free spin but I've heard some won't.

Those than won't free spin, pawl/hand modification is necessary to free spin. Easy modification if you know how. The "ejector alignment pawl" as it is called, only serve the purpose to stop the cylinder from rotating backward/reverse and align the chamber with the loading gate for loading/unloading.

Archived