SASS Wire Forum

22 colt single shot derringer ...

Deja Vous

I hope to pick up my 22 on Monday since it is a bank holiday!! I want to wear it, but not shoot it at matches of course. So, how did the women of the west wear them best do you think?

Sorry...this is a G-rated, family forum. You'll just have to use your imagination. :blush:

Um... Apron pocket...? :rolleyes:

You might want to Google "Garter Holster..." A countless number of interesting responses will pop up. B)

My brother has a single shot .22 daranger called a ladies muff gun. But I don't see too many ladies that use a muff to keep their hands warm. Try a hand bag, a cell phone belt pouch, or just stick it in an available pocket. :D

Dutchman

My Grandmother was 97 when she passed away. Before her passsing, she was admitted to the ER with a broken hip. As she was placed on the gurney in the ER, her Remington Derringer slipped out of her apron pocket onto the floor. I know of 2 incidents where she used this pistol to defend herself. :blush: Grandma was a Lady, but not afraid to stand up for herself and her family. I remember a muffler she had with a 'pocket' inside and a Baby Hamerless folding trigger revolver resided.... pearl handled as well.

If you use suspenders, there is a neat holster suspender combo. http://1880setc.com/Suspenders.htm ;)

Just as a point of order, if you wear it at matches, even if you don't shoot it, you will have to clear it at the unloading table after every stage.

I imagine the way the gals wore them nobody would ever see the gun unless it was pulled.

Have fun with your new shooter.

I think it would be cool to wear it in the suspender but I think it would get old having to clear it at each stage as GD said.

My Grandmother, on my Mom's side of the family, carried an Iver Johnson break-top .32 revolver in her purse. Her son found it there after she passed away at 93 years old. Neither my mother nor her two brothers ever knew she had it?

Another old friend remembered his grandmother always gave him and the other grandkids pennies from one of two snap top coin purses in her handbag. After her demise at a ripe old age he was clearing out her home and found the handbag, with the two coin purses within it. The one still had pennies inside and the other concealed a tiny bird's head .22 revolver, still loaded! He said he gained a new respect for her at that point!

I would expect a fine lady like yourself could carry a small derringer as part of her ensemble anywhere you feel comfortable doing so!

Meanwhile I will let my mind wander with the prospects!!!

To hide or not to hide, that is the question?

Happy shooting,

Kid Kneestone

lol.. Okay since I will not shoot my 22 at a match, then I don't have to show it.. So a garter hoster sounds like fun... I don't wear suspenders.. I do have a couple pairs of WAH Makers.. but after seeing myself in them I decide a RAT have more meat on their bones and I quit wearting them.. When for the girly stuff... lol. Now I have to look that up.. thanks y'all. lol

Not to embarrass anyone..... BUT, a shooter I am aware of, used to pocket carry a Derringer loaded at matches. He wasn't questioned about it 'cause it was in his pocket.... unseen. While 'shooting from the hip' with the shotgun, the butt of the shotgun came into contact with the hammer and the recoil caused the pistol to discharge and the bullet taking out a chunk of his thigh. :o

That's why firearms are supposed to be checked .... period. B)

Archived