SASS Wire Forum

Pocket Pistol and Derringer Side Matches- what do you like?

Ethan Cord

Howdy pards,

I am sitting here at the computer and was thinking about side match stages I have shot in the past. I was wondering if any of you have any favorites you would like to share.

I love pocket pistol and derringer events, but other stuff is fun too! So let's hear about your favorites!

Ethan

Howdy pards,

I am sitting here at the computer and was thinking about side match stages I have shot in the past. I was wondering if any of you have any favorites you would like to share.

I love pocket pistol and derringer events, but other stuff is fun too! So let's hear about your favorites!

Ethan

derringer>>>> that you will never see again<<<<

back in the old days

sitting in chair, at the card table

derringer in both hands, action closed, hammer fully down (of course),

in yer lap, under the table

at the buzz,from under the table

shoot the target twice

yup

and no one got hurt, or complained :lol:

I've never shot a side match, the only club I've shot at hasen't had one while I was there. I would love to shoot some, maby derringer or pocket pistol. Would also like to try pistol cal rifle long range(that just sounds wrong!).

Might be better if I don't,would have to buy more irons and the wife might just learn to tie a noose!!

At the Illowa Regulator's Fall Roundup we shoot a running buffalo. Its a large (3 foot long) steel buffalo target on a cart on tracks. The cart is pulled back and forth by ropes. The buffalo is about 25 yards from the shooter. ATB the buffalo starts moving and the shooter puts 10 rounds on it as fast as possible. It makes for a long day of rope pulling, but everyone seems to have a good time.

Chancy

About 21 years ago I shot a stage in an OWSA match put on by Bill & Dorothy Hahn. Their props and stage descriptions were second to none!

This stage was entitled "Picnicking with Miss Polly" and had you reclining on a picnic blanket and a .22 Derringer was staged in a picnic basket. A couple of "snakes" fashioned from bungee cords with paper poker chips for heads decided to join the picnic with you and Polly! The shooter had to retrieve the Derringer and dispatch the snakes with head shots. There was more shooting that went with the scenario, but I had so much fun with the derringer that is the part I remember. I still have the one "snake head" with a .22 caliber hole in it as a memento on my reloading bench.

Archived