SASS Wire Forum

What happened to Strike Anywhere matches?

For the most part, we heat with wood. We have a forced air furnace, but it very seldom ever goes on. Also, I go camping...a lot! I've always used the Strike Anywhere kitchen matches...usually by Diamond. During the past year or so, they've not only become harder to find in the stores, but when I do find them, they don't seem to be the quality they were years ago.

I asked a clerk today why they only carried the Strike-On-The Box matches and was told that most stores are pulling the Strike Anywheres from the shelves because they are a fire hazard. Well, duh...sure, they're matches, aren't they? The clerk said if somebody tossed them in the backseat of the car, they could inadvertently ignite. Also, because of that, they are considered a "hazardous material."

Aw, c'mon!!! Was the clerk just "blowin' smoke up my skirt" or is there some truth to this balderdash??

Oh...I happened to find some Diamond Strike Anywhere "Green Matches, Sourced from Responsible Forests." You've gotta be kidding me!!! I don't know how they'll work. I'll probably have better luck with flint and steel. :angry:

Same thing here in Missouri. I think the safety Police are working on saving us from ourselves ...again. You have to scratch them to hard to have them ignite from throwing the box into the car. It's actually easier to light the new ones on the box as anything rough breaks the stick and anything smoother rubs the white striking compound off.

Bugs

We still get them at the local Murdoch's ranch and farm supply. I can still strike them off my pant leg but not as good as the old Blue Tip matches. It's hard to believe they would ignite by throwing the box in the back seat of a car.

LL'

Ohio Blue Tips were the best, don't see them around anymore, just Diamonds and not good quality as you say. Some geek lab tech somewhere under ideal conditions got one to light off a box I guess. Also have heard mice could get in them and scratch around and ignite them. Mice around here don't eat matches.... :D

Also have heard mice could get in them and scratch around and ignite them.

I'd heard that before, too. I was told that whenever a cabin or line shack was to be left vacant for a while, the matches were always put in a tin with a tight-fitting lid for that very reason.

Nowadays, the mice would have to be very determined in order to get these modern matches to ignite. I tried the new "environmentally friendly green matches" tonight. Tried to light one on the seat of my pants, like I can do with the regular, good ol' strike anywhere matches. It wouldn't ignite. Tried several times. Finally had to strike the thing on a brick on the hearth before I got any action. :angry:

I heard a while back the methheads are using the white stuff on them to make their crap..Old story, pull them off the shelves and mess things up for everyone else.. :angry:

I can still find them, but it seems to be gettin' harder..And they don't work as well as they used to.

Kerful Slim. A feller could set his pants on fire if he ain't kerful.

I don't think there's a chance for that now, Badger...especially with them new matches!

For the most part, we heat with wood. We have a forced air furnace, but it very seldom ever goes on. Also, I go camping...a lot! I've always used the Strike Anywhere kitchen matches...usually by Diamond. During the past year or so, they've not only become harder to find in the stores, but when I do find them, they don't seem to be the quality they were years ago.

I asked a clerk today why they only carried the Strike-On-The Box matches and was told that most stores are pulling the Strike Anywheres from the shelves because they are a fire hazard. Well, duh...sure, they're matches, aren't they? The clerk said if somebody tossed them in the backseat of the car, they could inadvertently ignite. Also, because of that, they are considered a "hazardous material."

Aw, c'mon!!! Was the clerk just "blowin' smoke up my skirt" or is there some truth to this balderdash??

Oh...I happened to find some Diamond Strike Anywhere "Green Matches, Sourced from Responsible Forests." You've gotta be kidding me!!! I don't know how they'll work. I'll probably have better luck with flint and steel. :angry:

Now that is funny, a match is a "fire hazzard" lol...

Deja, in the hands of some, that is very true,

lol... in the hands of any one this is true.. the size of the fire depends upon what you are sitting on.. A can of gas, yeah, you have a huge fire hazzard.. lol

Yeah, they aren't sold much in grocery stores up here, but I can still get them in the grilling section of most hardware stores. Use 'em for ceegars, after they burn for a bit.

Remember when the heads were "hot" enough that you could pop them with your thumbnail? Not anymore; they take a full stroke on a rough surface to light now. Ah, well....probably lucky they still let us play with fire....

LL

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life
What happened to Strike Anywhere matches?

That's the kind of match I need to attend... 'cause when I shoot... I generally strike anywhere... but the target I'ma shootin' at.

When ya find out where they held at... let me know.

ts

I suppose it's just as well. I found out that there are actually a lot of people out there who don't even know how to build a fire anyway, so there's no real reason to make a good, dependable match. Seriously. They couldn't get a fire going if their life depended on it. Maybe that's one of the reasons we can't find Strike Anywheres anymore...because most people think they'll never have to build a fire in the first place. When you get cold, all you have to do is turn up the thermostat.

... I found out that there are actually a lot of people out there who don't even know how to build a fire anyway, ... They couldn't get a fire going if their life depended on it. ...

You watched the TV show Survivor!

Bought a box of the green tips the other day to smoke molds, broke several before I resorted to using the strip on the box, what a crock. Recall fondly a blue tip match with a BB set on top wrapped with a layer of aluminum foil made a neat mini RPG when shot from the muzzle of my daisy '94 look a like bb gun. Childhood was much more fun before all the electronic doo hickeys.

Wonder if these are any good? One thing i used to carry and still do is those little plastic boxes with a screw out magnesium match and little balls of waxed cotton,those things worked good and i used to find them at Wal-mart all the time but have not seen them lately.Mt brother in law found out after a plane crash in Alaska that the hairs from his wool coat made good fire starter,it was all he had in the snow after the plane burned with everything in it.He made a smokey fire from the fibers and the next day the choppers saw it.Just a side note.

http://www.amazon.com/Pack-Diamond-Anywhere-Greenlight-Matches/dp/B004B5KAF0

And one of the best things is you could singe hairs and a old pair of fruit of the loom chonies lightin farts with a good blue tip! :mellow::mellow::o yeeeeeoooowwww!!!!!

My grandfather had the old type in his pants pocket years ago. They went off and set his whole leg on fire. From then on he kept them in a tin box. I can still find them but there costly for the good kind.

Those are the kind I finally wound up with, GunClick. According to the info, they're made from aspen instead of pine are from environmentally friendly forests. Oh, brother. Makes you wanna get in a circle, join hands, and sing "Kumbuyah," don't it?

I've always carried an old brass, waterproof match safe that contains about fifteen matches. I Epoxied a little sandpaper on the end of the match safe so I have something to strike the match on when I am out camping in the snow. (Have you ever been out in the snow and couldn't find a rock or anything else that was dry enough to strike a match on?)

Anyway, pards, I'm afraid we might just see the day when strike-anywhere matches will have gone the way of button shoes. :angry:

By the way, Rick, that story about your brother-in-law sounds interesting. I'll bet that's a great one around the ol' campfire. We'll have to do that sometime.

Those are the kind I finally wound up with, GunClick. According to the info, they're made from aspen instead of pine are from environmentally friendly forests. Oh brother.

I've always carried an old brass, waterproof match safe that contains about fifteen matches. I Epoxied a little sandpaper on the end of the match safe so I have something to strike the match on when I am out camping in the snow. (Have you ever been out in the snow and couldn't find a rock or anything else that was dry enough to strike a match on?)

Anyway, pards, I'm afraid we might just see the day when strike-anywhere matches will have gone the way of button shoes. :angry:

By the way, Rick, that story about your brother-in-law sounds interesting. I'll bet that's a great one around the ol' campfire. We'll have to do that sometime.

That story was in the Alaskan paper about two years ago,he still has magazines and stuff wanting to write about it,but he says no way.When the plane went down he had to drag the pilot out and held him in his arms and prayed over him until he passed away,my brother in law is a godly man.He had remembered seeing a camp from the air and started walking towards that direction with 3rd degree burns on his body,he didn't feel the pain as the nerves had been killed,he made it five miles and couldn't go no more.That's when he built a fire and settled in,the rescue choppers saw the smoke the next day.He would not stay in the hospital becuase he had no insurance and he did not call my sister as he did not want to worry her.She picked him up at the Boise airport and to her gastly surprise they wheeled him out on a wheelchair all bandaged up,She dang near passed out.He went home and after three day the nerves started growing back,he dang near died on that one.At one point he was at a hospital somewhere else and my sis had to drive to a city she knew nothing about,there was a sass pard that read about it and offered all kinds of help as he lived where the hospital was,he was very helpful in a very bad time.They had to skin graft and all kinds of stuff.The man is a glutton for punishment ,there is nothing that gets in the way of his hunting trips.

Acid bath

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/gunclickrick/Del2.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/gunclickrick/Del1.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/gunclickrick/Del3.jpg

That story was in the Alaskan paper about two years ago,he still has magazines and stuff wanting to write about it,but he says no way.When the plane went down he had to drag the pilot out and held him in his arms and prayed over him until he passed away,my brother in law is a godly man.He had remembered seeing a camp from the air and started walking towards that direction with 3rd degree burns on his body,he didn't feel the pain as the nerves had been killed,he made it five miles and couldn't go no more.That's when he built a fire and settled in,the rescue choppers saw the smoke the next day.He would not stay in the hospital becuase he had no insurance and he did not call my sister as he did not want to worry her.She picked him up at the Boise airport and to her gastly surprise they wheeled him out on a wheelchair all bandaged up,She dang near passed out.He went home and after three day the nerves started growing back,he dang near died on that one.At one point he was at a hospital somewhere else and my sis had to drive to a city she knew nothing about,there was a sass pard that read about it and offered all kinds of help as he lived where the hospital was,he was very helpful in a very bad time.They had to skin graft and all kinds of stuff.The man is a glutton for punishment ,there is nothing that gets in the way of his hunting trips.

Acid bath

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/gunclickrick/Del2.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/gunclickrick/Del1.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/gunclickrick/Del3.jpg

Dang! That is one tough hombre!!! (And to stay on topic...it's a darn good thing he had some strike-anywhere matches. Right? :) )

Seriously, though, GunClick, thanks for sharing that story. Wow! Talk about being tougher than mule jerky!

Archived