SASS Wire Forum

how to best paint a 10/22 stock pink

Trigger Mike

I have a ruger 10/22 and from when my little girl could talk she would say it was hers(course now she has forgtten she did that). She loves pink and would like a pink gun and is now about to be 8 and can go on our club and shoot. I found a ruger 10/22 stock today for $25 so how do I best paint it pink? what kind of paint is best? One person said if I use epoxy paint I would not have to sand it down. What is the best way.

Mike:

If you want a hard, durable finish that will hold up for years, I'd try one part polyurethane paint sold in boat stores for above-the-waterline use. Matched with a well=prepared surface and the correct primer (CHECK THE PAINT LABEL) the paint will flow like solder and you will have a VERY hard, mirror-like finish. I use it on oars, and they look like new despite much harder use than any gun will ever see. Mix red and white until you get the tone of pink you want.

LL

I've got some steel wool, so I will strip it down. Seems like when I want to clean up an old stock when I buy a military surplus rifle I use the wool and denatured alcohol. Will that get rid of the shiny Ruger stock finish enough? When you say something clear would clear wood waterproofing such as Thompson's be what you mean, or clear coat like they put on a car?

You don't need to take the old finish off unless you want a perfectly smooth finish. Most paint will fill in any small surface imperfections. You just need to rough up the surface. Give the paint better adhesion. Loophole's idea to use marine grade paint isn't bad. May get a bit pricey but will last a long, long time.

Steel wool should work fine. Wipe it down with the alcohol to remove all dust then add paint. The clear I was referring to is poly urethane. Better than varnish.

Archived