SASS Wire Forum

Geronimo: An American Legend (1993)

The Original Bad Bob

Directed by Walter Hill, starring Gene Hackman as General George Crook, Wes Studi as the Apache Warrior Chief Geronimo, Robert Duvall as scout Al Seiber, Jason Patrick as Lt. Charles Gatewood, and Matt Damon in one of his first roles as Lt. Britton Davis.

This one is a must see. A great movie about the Apache resistance against the reservation and the treachery of the "white eyes". Told mainly from the point of view of the Apache.

The firearms appear to be accurate to the time period too!

Directed by Walter Hill, starring Gene Hackman as General George Crook, Wes Studi as the Apache Warrior Chief Geronimo, Robert Duvall as scout Al Seiber, Jason Patrick as Lt. Charles Gatewood, and Matt Damon in one of his first roles as Lt. Britton Davis.

This one is a must see. A great movie about the Apache resistance against the reservation and the treachery of the "white eyes". Told mainly from the point of view of the Apache.

The firearms appear to be accurate to the time period too!

I liked the movie as well

Seiber died from old age not a bar room scrape and there was no mention of Tom Horn in the movie. Overall it was good entertainment. If you lived in Florida would you have been happy when they brought Geronimo into your neighborhood? The natives got a pretty raw deal.

LL'

Actually , Al Seiber was killed by being crushed under a rock on a road building project. But he was an old man at the time.

Good movie , and I liked the gunfight , but historically inaccurate.(What , Hollywood , inaccurate :lol: )

Cheers , Rex :D

The natives got a pretty raw deal.

From what I've read, Gatewood got a pretty raw deal, too.

St. Augustine

http://www.augustine.com/history/old-st-augustine/castillo-apache.php

If you have a chance, read the book: "Lt. Charles Gatewood and his Apache wars memoir"

Swiss

Very interesting. I have been to the fort many times, but I never heard that the Apaches were kept there for a year. I plan to go back sometime soon (it's a 2&1/2 hour drive from where I live) and if I can find a knowledgeable tour guide I will ask about this. Sometimes you get some good stories from them.

Very interesting. I have been to the fort many times, but I never heard that the Apaches were kept there for a year. I plan to go back sometime soon (it's a 2&1/2 hour drive from where I live) and if I can find a knowledgeable tour guide I will ask about this. Sometimes you get some good stories from them.

Call the Castillo ahead of time. Talk to the superintendent, historian or Chief Ranger. Tell him your interests and ask if one of the interpretive rangers can speak with you when you arrive.

Geronimo was transferred to Ft Pickens in Pensacola in October of '86. He died in Ft Sill OK.

When I was in the service I was stationed at Ft Sill,OK, and the old fort is /was a museum and they had the cell where Geronimo was kept. It had a dirt floor and it was rutted from him just walking in a circle. Talk about getting the shaft and who should get retribution.

A friend of mine was an extra in that movie (although I've never been able to pick him out of any scene). He told the story that in the bar-room scene with Hackman and Duvall, Hill went through several takes, more than a dozen. Finally, Hackman turned to the director and said, "You've got it." Hill said, "Just one more take," and Duvall turned and said, "No, you've got it." Then Hackman and Duvall left the set together -- when those to guys tell you its in the can, it's in the can!<grin>

I liked the movie and am willing to overlook its historical inaccuracies.

A good statement for just about every western ever made. ;):D

I liked the movie and am willing to overlook its historical inaccuracies. My favorite scene is the gunfight in the bar in Mexico. Squint

+1

I watched it on Netflix instant stream after seeing this thread. It was very well acted and enjoyable. The bar room shootout was done really well.

Howdy Cowboys ,

I was in the movie Geronimo trying to help keep the white devils & mexicans at bay killing a few in the movie !

Heres a pic of me getting ready for the next shooting scenes. And one of me & Wess at the Beverly Hilton awards ceramony & After party Having some tizswan (FIREWATER) and planning our next Apache Party (WAR pARTY!!)and to abduct a couple pretty woman that are here !! It turned out the other way...them girls abducted us back to there room !!

Its a great movie to watch and I enjoyed working on it. And I thank ustan the great spirit for making me born to this world an Apache.

NANA

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc259/NANA17357/GERONIMO1.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc259/NANA17357/ThomasWess.jpg

I worked on that film as a Cavalryman. I spent a week burning a village over and over again (the scene right at the beginning)outside Moab, Utah. It was a good bit of fun and a lot of waiting around. Duval and Hackman were pretty nice, though Hackman's mule didn't get along with the horses.

Its been in my movie rotation for years. I really like that movie. I really like Wes Studi and he is one of my fav Native American actors.

Native American or not, he is one of my favorite actors. I loved his portrail of Lt. Joe Leaphorn. It was spot on.

Howdy Cowboys ,

I was in the movie Geronimo trying to help keep the white devils & mexicans at bay killing a few in the movie !

Heres a pic of me getting ready for the next shooting scenes. And one of me & Wess at the Beverly Hilton awards ceramony & After party Having some tizswan (FIREWATER) and planning our next Apache Party (WAR pARTY!!)and to abduct a couple pretty woman that are here !! It turned out the other way...them girls abducted us back to there room !!

Its a great movie to watch and I enjoyed working on it. And I thank ustan the great spirit for making me born to this world an Apache.

NANA

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc259/NANA17357/GERONIMO1.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc259/NANA17357/ThomasWess.jpg

Hey Nana,

Enjoyed meeting you and the '94 I purchased from you. Neat pics of you and you with Wes Studi. I really enjoyed your info on the origin of your alias. I want you to know I went home and did research on your namesake, Nana - very intersting, and powerfull!

Regards, Harvey

I think Wes Studi is one of the most convincing actors I've ever seen. The first time I realized what a great actor he was, was his role as Magua in Last of the Mohicans. He caused chills up my neck as he just radiated hate for the whites. An absolutely menacing portrayal that adds so much to the suspense when he's dragging the captives along the escape trail. The next role I recognized him in was as the Pawnee raider who got surrounded in the river by the warriors defending the village in Dances with Wolves. He played a trapped enemy warrior who knew he was had but went down defiant to the end. Wes Studi is is Oscar worthy in my book.

Native American or not, he is one of my favorite actors. I loved his portrail of Lt. Joe Leaphorn. It was spot on.

You bet. I wish they would have done more Leaphorn movies.

Adam Beach was great too. He's on anti DUI billboards on the Res around here.

That is very true. I just really enjoy his tone and voice when he speaks an Indian Language.

Archived