SASS Wire Forum

drill and tap

Trigger Mike

Lyman tang sights come with directions in the package. If you've not done this type of chore before, I'd suggest getting a machinist or gunsmith to do it. It will involve drilling a hole through the tang, then creating threads in it with a tap. The hole is best done with a jig and a drill press. I would not attempt it with a hand drill.

Generally you don't. When the lever is worked the bolt comes back and hits the sight. If you can locate it far enough back, and I,m not sure you can, it is not difficult to mark the holes and drill and tap the tang. The steel is not very hard on the few I've worked on. My suggertion would be to install a full buckhorn rear sight and use it like a ghost ring, that is what I did with mine.

Bugs

Generally you don't. When the lever is worked the bolt comes back and hits the sight. If you can locate it far enough back, and I,m not sure you can, it is not difficult to mark the holes and drill and tap the tang. The steel is not very hard on the few I've worked on. My suggertion would be to install a full buckhorn rear sight and use it like a ghost ring, that is what I did with mine.

Bugs

You mentioned the metal is soft on a lyman, do they not hold up well? How far back do they have to go to be out of the way of the bolt?

You mentioned the metal is soft on a lyman, do they not hold up well? How far back do they have to go to be out of the way of the bolt?

You misunderstand. The metal I was refering to is the metal on the tang of the rifle not the sight. If you have a 73 just move the lever all the way down and you will see how far back the sight has to be placed so it is behind the bolt. I traded off my 73 so I don't have one to look at any more, I'm working from memory. Personally I have always used marble tang sights because they are adjustable for windage and elevetion the Lyman was only adjustable for elevation the last time I looked at one.

Bugs

The hammer actually is what comes back the farthest.It stops about even where the lower round part of the stock meets the receiver itself.SO,anywhere on the narrow top receiver strap/tang is behind the farthest point of hammer movement.

IIRC the tang sights are located by the tang screw that is present and the secondary hole is the one to be drilled and tapped.

If you are not certain you want to keep the sight installed, simply use a dab of acraglass under the sight base and put it together using only the tang screw.

If you decide to keep it, disassemble the gun, clamp the frame in the drill press with the drill bit running perpendicular to the sight base, carefully drill the correct size pilot, and then run the tap through using lots of oil and not reversing it, as this will break a tap and a broken tap is a pain to remove.

There is no need to remove the acraglass as it mates the two surfaces perfectly and tends to keep moisture out of this area.

Archived