SASS Wire Forum

Lee Loadmaster

Cash Creak

On a Lee Loadmaster I got this back from Lee today...

You shouldn't need two disks to charge cases for the 45 Long Colt, but in order to stack two disks you would need to purchase the Double Disk Kit, which is not included with the Loadmaster. The part number is 90195 and it costs $14.98 through us.

What I need to know is what disk number do I need to load 45 long colts, to 5.5 grams..the only paper work I have saids I have to use two disk..a 71 and a 46..

I'm using Trail Boss powder..forgot it the first time..

That combination will give you 1.17 gr. volume. According to Lee's chart, for 5.4 gr. Trail Boss, you need 1.18 gr. volume. That would be a .61 and a .57 disk.

The chart will only get you close, it's best to weigh your charge to be sure what the disk is dispensing. Trail Boss is a bulky powder and it doesn't meter the same every time. If you don't want to stack disks, try the biggest single disk you have and weigh the charge it throws. It might be enough to get the job done. The load you suggested is pretty stout.

Well whataya know...I just loaded up my first .45 long colt with my loadmaster this morning. I had to go with the 1.26 hole on the disk and that came out to about 5.7gr of trail boss. The 1.18 hole on the disc was indeed around 5.4 gr, which I'll load up a few and see how they do.

Whiskey James

If you check you will find that LEE does make an adjustable disc also. For several reasons I found the disc system to come up short when loading bulky large loads like we use for large caliber black powder loading. In fairness it has aged my Hornady LNL APs appearance greatly also and thats just the bp substitutes. They are harder on the loading gear than the guns.

I agree with Slowhand Bob on the Lee adjustable charge bar http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1298063931.3215=/html/catalog/powhan1.html Scroll down a bit to adjustable charge bar,having used them it made it a lot easier,just dial in the charge you want,no more stacking discs or taking apart the measure to stack your disks. Adios Sgt. Jake

Archived