SASS Wire Forum

Rossi Rifle Alterations

The Original Bad Bob

Yup, it can be done.

But i would be concerned with using the gun as the Duke did. Remember that you have to keep the muzzle within the 170 degree cone. That is a good rule for general shooting as well as a cowboy match.

You better wear a leather pad or cuff on your bicep, cuz you're gonna cut your arm. Lotsa people tried this and ended up

with a front sight embedded in their arm. Just sayin'

Big Jake

I have a 16" Rossi 92 with the standard lever. I would like to have the large loop lever on it. Does anyone know how I could go about this?

I think I can call Rossi and buy the part and just have any good gunsmith swap them out, right?

OB Bob,

Some folks use their 92's for things other than CAS. Some folks just like the look. Some folks like the big loops to use when hunting in cold weather and wearing gloves. Here's a pair of 454 Casull cal 92's with the 3/4 size big loop.

TU-TONE BEAD BLASTED 454 CASULL 92'S

If Rossi doesn't have them let me know.

I have a stainless 45 LC Rossi with a wide loop lever and 20" barrel. I got the part directly from Rossi although they only technically sell it for a 16" barreled gun (the only model that comes straight from the factory with one). It was a "drop in part" for me. I did have one slight issue however; In closing the lever, the round chambers and the bolt fully closes but the lever is off the lower tang about an 1/8" to slightly more. This does not affect functioning at all, but just something to note. Smithy.

I wouldn't do the Duke twirl with a loaded gun at the range, or doing CAS. That would be dangerous and would most likely get me into some hot water.

Mainly I just like the looks. Nate K.J. those are some really purty rifles. I might be contacting you.

I wouldn't do the Duke twirl with a loaded gun at the range, or doing CAS. That would be dangerous and would most likely get me into some hot water.

Mainly I just like the looks. Nate K.J. those are some really purty rifles. I might be contacting you.

Doing it with an unloaded gun will get you thrown off the range just as fast. Hope all the idiots that are trying this-loaded or unloaded, do so far off in the wilderness somewhere all by themselves.

You better wear a leather pad or cuff on your bicep, cuz you're gonna cut your arm. Lotsa people tried this and ended up

with a front sight embedded in their arm. Just sayin'

Big Jake

+1. The Duke and the Rifleman were 6-4 and 6-6, respectively, and they had to use special short-barreled guns to do it.

Just because you saw a photo or video of something does not make it true or safe. Heck some folks believe those old movie cowboy guns could shoot 20 or more rounds without reloading. Some folks believe heroes like John Wayne never did anything wrong.

Just because you saw a photo or video of something does not make it true...

Are you saying that Holyweird movie I just watch ain't real? :unsure:

Some folks believe heroes like John Wayne never did anything wrong.

Sacrilege!

Are you saying that Holyweird movie I just watch ain't real? :unsure:

Sacrilege!

Well I saw him arrested by the Mounties for illegally bringing a plane full of beer into Canada during a beer truck driver strike.

Just because you saw a photo or video of something does not make it true or safe. Heck some folks believe those old movie cowboy guns could shoot 20 or more rounds without reloading. Some folks believe heroes like John Wayne never did anything wrong.

Good lawd man, nowhere in his post did he ever say he planned to do this at any range much less a CAS shoot. Several folks have warned him of the safety issues. What he does on his own is his business. Only unless you are in range, his gun hamdling abilities are really none of your business.

I'm 6'3" and I have long arms and I promise to never do this at any gun range or shooting event or within range of anything I do not plan to shoot.

If I embed the front site in the right bicep, I also promise to take a picture and post it here for all to enjoy!

Here's "The Rifleman" technique. Takes a minute or two for the video to load, but it does a nice job of showing it from a few different angles.

http://www.riflemansrifle.com/video/original_demo.html

Thanks for that. That guy has it DOWN! He makes it look easy.

I'm 6'3" and I have long arms and I promise to never do this at any gun range or shooting event or within range of anything I do not plan to shoot.

If I embed the front site in the right bicep, I also promise to take a picture and post it here for all to enjoy!

That's the spirit~! ^_^

My son, Sassparilla Kid, installed one on his Rossi and loves it. Hasn't shot a match with it (yet!) but figures he will someday - he recognizes he won't ever win any speed competitions, and shoots for accuracy and enjoyment. ;)

I have a big loop Rossi in .45 Colt and love the look of it. I bought it because my son loves the Rifleman and wanted a gun similar to his.

You will always have the people on here who freak out when you tell them you want a big loop rifle. Of course if you want to twirl it like the Rifleman or the Duke try it unloaded. Just because you get a lever action dont mean you are going to do this at a match. I have lots of Lever guns that never will see a match.

I say.....if you like it then get it. Who cares if its "fast" or "practical" for CAS.

I like mind a lot.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm30/wheeler331/100_2419.jpg

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm30/wheeler331/100_2437.jpg

Mine has the 16" barrel if I remember right and I did catch the front sight on my forearm and sliced it open.

Im not sure about the Duke....but know that Connors did use a 20" barrel.

Pics of the Dukes gun to me still looks like its a 20" barrel but I dont know for fact.

Well I saw him arrested by the Mounties for illegally bringing a plane full of beer into Canada during a beer truck driver strike.

My respect for the memory of the Duke just grew. I didn't think that was possible.:) (meaning I already highly respect him)

I have read that Conners used a 20" carbine and the Duke used a 20" also through most of his career only resorting to a shorter bbl later on. Even then it was an 18" IIRC. Conners' was modified with the lock screw that tripped the trigger and a set screw at the top of the receiver near the chamber to hold the next round in the gun as it is spun, and guide the round into the chamber. I wonder if that mod were allowed in CAS if the 92s could operate as fast as the Marlins and 73s.

Being a Duke fan I had to have a big loop when I started CAS. Yes I have the scar er uh I mean badge of honor to prove my spin cocking ability. Even tried it with dummy rounds. With out the mod the next round drops out of the gun when it is up side down.

I used a couple of different techniques with the large loop. One was to grasp the front of the loop like a pistol grip and lever with the web of my thumb. Another that worked well for many years right up until I upgraded to a 73 was to take a short leather lace and tie it with a big knot inside the loop where it joins the trigger guard. I then levered using my middle finger just like a standard loop.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

I have to agree with Smoke. I have a Rossi in .357 with the large loop and a 16" barrel. If you manage to spin the rifle, without having the front site hit your shoulder or bicep, then the round usually falls out or hangs up when the rifle is upside down. I'm just under 6'1" but I did manage to do the spin, on occasion, but it really only works with an empty rifle.

With that said, I don't do it all that often because I'm afraid I might bend or stress the lever's link.

Now, for CAS, I do use the large loop, but after my 1st time, I got a lever wrap. I found that the loop wasn't conducive to quick cycling. My knuckles would bang the steel loop pretty hard as I tried to work it fast. It's still a lot of fun, though.

Archived