SASS Wire Forum

John Wayne is rolling over in his grave

Zeb Kingsford

Last Christmas I received a nice coffee cup from my step daughter with John Waynes's picture on it. I took the cup out to work and have enjoyed it very much. Yesterday afternoon when it came time to wash the coffee pot and cup I noticed some very small writing on the bottom of the cup. I had to put on my specticles to read it. It said John Wayne's coffee cups are registered trade marks of Wayne Enterprises.

Are you ready for this.................MADE IN CHINA

As Larry the Cable Guy would say....That ain't right.

Haven't you ever heard of ... "fine China." :lol:

Seriously, I know the feeling all to well. I'd like to see those products and jobs brought back to the US.

Don't check your JW collectibles too close folks. Yer gonna be disappointed about 90% of the time unfortunately. :(

Welcome to modern America. Damn near everything is made in China these days. We sure do employ a lot of Chinese. Too bad we don't have jobs for all the Americans who gave up their jobs so all those nice Chinese folks can work.

I am reminded of those who cry foul when a shooter wins because he is better and faster. Competition is not about fairness or what feels good. If you want to win, figure out how to be better and faster or better and cheaper, what ever works.

And if you want to price yourself right out of the market, unionize.

Cheers,

BJT

Mugs and suchlike are printed with anything you want. Stuff like this is pumped out by the millions. Is an order for John Wayne mugs to be treated like a commission for a holy icon, to be made only by the most skilled domestic craftsmen, who have been schooled not only in fine porcelain, but in John Wayne westerns?

John Wayne did play Gengis Khan in the movie The Conqueror. Okay so Gengis Khan was Mongolian, he did invade China though.

Matter of fact......here's the entire movie The Conqueror

This movie was filmed 130 miles from an above ground nuclear test site in 1956, three years after testing ceased. Of the 220 cast and crew, by 1981 ninety one had some form of cancer with 46 having died by that time.

I am reminded of those who cry foul when a shooter wins because he is better and faster. Competition is not about fairness or what feels good. If you want to win, figure out how to be better and faster or better and cheaper, what ever works.

And if you want to price yourself right out of the market, unionize.

Cheers,

BJT

BJT, sending work out of the U.S. of A. to cut your costs has a way of

bighting you in the butt. I was wondering what would happen if we all desided

not to buy products from companies that sent out work, recieve it back, raise the price

to it's max to increase there bottom line????? Wishful thinking and our Goverment

won't help either. :angry::huh::wacko::blink:

Happy trails

QDG

<snip> I was wondering what would happen if we all desided

not to buy products from companies that sent out work, recieve it back, raise the price

to it's max to increase there bottom line????? <snip>

You would have to make anything you wanted. Everything you own would be hand-made though -- by you.

Companies do what they do to make money. They exist to maximize profits, and as a confirmed Capitalist, I see nothing wrong with that. If we have a beef with anybody over jobs going overseas, it is our politicians who offer our rivals "most favored nation" trading status and then agree to terms that make it impossible for domestic (US) labor to compete!

Serious Question: How much of this problem (i.e. very few of the goods we use every day are manufactured in the USA) is due to the USA's own import/export laws & regulations?

I have heard several times recently that the USA is virtually a tariff free zone, but that other countries do not extend the same courtesy to us. Don't know if that's true or not.

Folks ain't much on buying something for $2 when they can buy it just as easy for a $1. And the funny thing is,

if someone charges a $1 tax on something that is imported, the domestically produced thing seems to go up a dollar too.

The bottom line is to make stuff better and cheaper than someone else can. You can sell that.

There are many ways to make it better and cheaper. 1/5 of labor costs in the US are social security and medicare. I can't even guess

how much business cost is regulation related, not to mention taxes. Unions drive up labor costs as well.

We have met the enemy and they is us and we better kick their butts pretty soon. Vote early, vote often and quit voting for the same

shyster who failed you last time.

Cheers,

BJT

to it's max to increase there bottom line????? Wishful thinking and our Goverment

Happy trails

QDG

Everything is made by them bastards, you almost can't buy anything that ain't . I make a special point to look and if I can by American, I do , even if it's cost me a bit more. Be REAL careful with your food and your pets food. The sneaky rats are pushing their food into our market, hear tell most of their heard has foot and mouth and their shrimp farms are shut down due to health issues. My pups are part of the family and I'll be damned if I'm gonna see em plugged into an IV fighting for their life because of some Chinese made poison. I called Purina and yes the reluctantly told me that use "just a small bit of grain from China" Some food labels are now only stating 'distributed by" and no made in info

Waylon said it years ago "The world's gone crazy" To get back on point I suspect the Duke would be REALLY pissed about what has happened to our beloved country.

Okay I'm going for whiskey now (American made Buffalo Trace) :)

Not to be rude, but come on. Are we really that concerned that some other country makes our dog food and coffee cups? How many of you want your children to aspire to that kind of job? China has the advantage over us in the number of people they have who are willing to provide cheap unskilled labor. Should we be envious of that? The only thing they are doing with respect to international trade that concerns me is manipulating their currency value so their products are cheaper for us, and thus more competitive. I say worry about them militarily for sure, but in terms of international trade, please, anyone want to trade your standard of living for theirs? I think not.

Lol, rotflmao!

Hey cowboy! I hope to get up there soon to shoot with you, are you coming to the Mule Camp tomorrow?

Good come see us! Maggie Darlin' asked my wife Carolina Girl if we were coming and we really wanted to but we have too much going on this weekend to make the trip. I REALLY wish it was closer but we will try to get there soon, Good luck to ya' it should be a great day for a match.

Not to be rude, but come on. Are we really that concerned that some other country makes our dog food and coffee cups? How many of you want your children to aspire to that kind of job? China has the advantage over us in the number of people they have who are willing to provide cheap unskilled labor. Should we be envious of that? The only thing they are doing with respect to international trade that concerns me is manipulating their currency value so their products are cheaper for us, and thus more competitive. I say worry about them militarily for sure, but in terms of international trade, please, anyone want to trade your standard of living for theirs? I think not.

Well, yes. We should be THAT Concerned.

Do some research on China's history of poisoning other countries people in food and in medications and you'll start to get the picture beyond the US losing jobs to China. I do some work with wood, construction, hobby, and I can tell you that the phemaldehyde and foreign objects found in Chinese produced plywood is a real concern. Remember the temporary shelters that were used for the katrina situation? . Imagine hitting a razor blade that is sandwiched between layers of plywood when your saw's blade throws it back at you. The thousands that China poisoned in South American countries with trace element of poison. These are just a couple of the frequent and real issues involving China's exports. They have no concern and won't abide by global regulations.

My Winchester is made by Miroku in Japan to the highest of standards both the firearm and the process of manufacturing to produce it. My Ex wife is japanese. My better half for the last eight years is Vietnamese. I have numerous asian friends, including Chinese, so I don't have an axe to grind against asian people.

I like to see the level of involvement that people like Coyote Cap have had in making trips to China to check in on the manufacturing process and help keep it going on track because...

How many shotguns are manufactured in the US (new) that we can buy for this sport?

listen to John Wayne's speech to America sometime or read his great interview for Playboy magazine and I'll agree that the Duke is turning in his grave.

OK, time to go shoot some guns tomorrow!

The good news is that there are still people that will buck the easy popular trends and remain true to the Cowboy code.

A couple of years ago, I saw a little pocket knife that was really cool lookin....bone slabs, nice couple of blades, and was made by "COLT". all over the box Colt, Colt....cool, and it wasn't cheap. Took better part of a $50. on the blade it Said "Colt, 138 years....". Cool I thought. Turned the knife over and on the other side of the blade, in small block letters....

MADE IN CHINA

I thought how did I miss that....looked all over the box, and in one small corner in print so small you had to magnify it...it repeated

made in china.

So, nothin is safe

curley

PS But I have to say it is a dang fine knife and holds a really good edge..

Should I hate a people for the shade of their skin

Or the shape of their eyes or the shape I'm in.

Should I hate 'em for having our jobs today

No I hate the men sent the jobs away.

I can see them all now, they haunt my dreams

All lily white and squeaky clean

They've never known want, they'll never know need

Their sh@# don't stink and their kids won't bleed.

Their kids won't bleed in the da$% little war

And we can't make it here anymore.

James McMurtry

We Can't Make it Here

But a John Wayne coffee mug. Man, that sucks!

Sorry. Slow Wire. Double Tap.

I might add that in this day and age, I don't have anything against fair trade market, and I will buy things I can afford.

My concern is a company that is PROMOTING their American roots and bragging on their 136 years of quality, well one would dang sure expect to be getting a product that is American and living up to its claims...

just my 2cents

curley

...Seriously, I know the feeling all to well. I'd like to see those products and jobs brought back to the US.

Easily done.

Eliminate the Unions, benefits, 40 hour work weeks and about 99% of the government regulations....

Easily done.

Eliminate the Unions, benefits, 40 hour work weeks and about 99% of the government regulations....

I agree with most of what you're saying. I don't think the unions should be eliminated, just put in their place.

Frivolous lawsuits, well heck, we could go on & on. I'll just say that the age of entitlement is killing the US and we'd better wake up fast or we'll find ourselves plowing someone else's fields.

Happy trails

QDG

You'd either have to make it yourself or buy an old one. BJT hit the nail on the head.

Archived