SASS Wire Forum

Dumb idea

Subdeacon Joe

It snowed here this morning. Second time this year, the first being on the first day of this year. This was maybe the 9th or 10th time I've seen it snow. Big fat flakes. Snowed for about two hours, dropped maybe 3 inches.

When the snow stopped here in The Oaks I had the bright idea of driving about 8 miles to the Cache Creek North BLM area to let the dog frolic. Asked the wife if she wanted to come along. Well, over the hill the road was icy and it was snowing harder. No chains. Waited about 2 1/2 hours with about a dozen other cars for the snow plows and sand trucks. In the time we were stuck about another 4 to 5 inches fell.

Not one of my better ideas. But we are able to joke about it. And the dog got to frolic in the snow.

http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff30/subdjoe/landscape/

Most taken today, 2/17/2011, most about 2 or 3 miles E of the Hwy 20/Hwy 53 intersection (the left hand curve just past Old Long Valley Road - (check google maps).

If we didn't go out in crappy weather we wouldn't get much done around here. Not a dumb idea on your behalf just taking the hairy child out on an adventure. I walk our dog in some lousy weather, he doesn't care if it's snowing, blowing, -20, or raining. He's just happy to go!

LL'

The "dumb" was not having chains.

Did get to watch a guy in a "Hey, I've got a Jeep, I can make it!" slowly slide into the side of the hill when he found he couldn't and tried to turn around. But, around the bend in the road there was a tractor/trailer that had slid sideways into the side of the hill too.

Not to be callus to you Californians, but most of you don't do real well on snow.

We get a few transplants up here, mostly from the LA area, and they have no clue until they

get out on one of these crazy hills. Then it is Katy bar the door.

But then again, there are so many Warshingtonians that can't handle it either. :unsure:

Not to be callus to you Californians, but most of you don't do real well on snow.

We get a few transplants up here, mostly from the LA area, and they have no clue until they

But then again, there are so many Warshingtonians that can't handle it either. :unsure:

Nope, most of us don't. We don't see it all that often. Or it is something to drive to to play in after the roads have been plowed and sanded.

I got on the downhill side, in low gear, gently taping the brakes. When I started fishtailing and sliding, I stopped, tried going again, had no control (turned out there was some solid ice under the snow). Pulled over and waited. After three passes of the plough and sand, I started again, found a spot, turned around and headed home.

We get that in Colorado too, people put their jeep or SUV or pickup in 4 wheel drive and disengage their brains it seems like.

Yeah, 4wd helps, but if you don't have chains or snow tires, just regular street tires, you still don't have traction. And iff'n you don't got traction, you don't got diddly.

Nope, most of us don't. We don't see it all that often. Or it is something to drive to to play in after the roads have been plowed and sanded.

I got on the downhill side, in low gear, gently taping the brakes. When I started fishtailing and sliding, I stopped, tried going again, had no control (turned out there was some solid ice under the snow). Pulled over and waited. After three passes of the plough and sand, I started again, found a spot, turned around and headed home.

Probably the best plan of the day.

Probably the best plan of the day.

Yep. I figured that by not putting it into the side of the mountain on the one side, or over the side on my side. Then watching the produce truck and two SUVs kind of sliding past my pick up once I had pulled over, I had used up all my luck for today.

I don't know how to drive on snow, and I KNOW I don't know. Although when I was fishtailing, I managed to do the proper steering and keep going straight.

Yep. I figured that by not putting it into the side of the mountain on the one side, or over the side on my side. Then watching the produce truck and two SUVs kind of sliding past my pick up once I had pulled over, I had used up all my luck for today.

I don't know how to drive on snow, and I KNOW I don't know. Although when I was fishtailing, I managed to do the proper steering and keep going straight.

Sometimes knowing what we don't know is way more important than thinking we know something we really don't.

Sounds to me like you are one smart hombre to go for it and then realize (and do) the smart thing. Lots would not.

Regards (and stay warm)

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

BTW as a professional driver before my current career I logged almost 1.5 million accident free miles in all kinds of weather. plus whatever I drove in the family car. Still have lots I DON'T know.

Grew up in northern Utah, never owned a set of chains until I moved to Virginia and they wouldn't let me drive without them...in four inches of snow. "Worst storm in forty-three years."

Headed back up tomorrow to see my wife's mom who is failing fast. I think I still have my skills (I did seven years ago when we got up there and it decided to snow), but question my tires. I may end up buying some when I get further north. That and four 50 pound sacks of rock salt so the back of my truck will have some traction. I can use it to make ice cream when I get back here.

We're supposed to be gone a week, but if it takes two or three weeks we can deal with that, too.

Badfer you are right about dogs, cousins had a beautiful Siberian that used to love being out in the snow. Everyonce in a while Id visit in the winter and a small snow bank would grow prick ears and then bounce up from being fully covered with inches of fresh snow to greet you. Foxy didnt stay out full time but he sure did enjoy being out in it. His favorite place to sleep was in a bathroom of that big old house that used to freeze up so it had to be shut down every winter since it was the coolest spot in the house.

"We get that in Colorado too, people put their jeep or SUV or pickup in 4 wheel drive and disengage their brains it seems like"

Unfortunatly I have seen peaple with both disengauged. a time ot two I have seen exspensive SUV sliding around where it was obivius there werent using there 4 wheel drive. Would have saved themselves alot of trouble by simply using it.

I am a native Michigander. My parents used to spend the winters in Florida. Ocausionally my dad would be chatting with someone about driving on the slipery michigan roads, and they would ask "how do you stop on them slippery roads", And he would answer and say "you dont, you just find something cheap to hit".

Hi Folks,

We don't get a lot of snow here at 2400 feet. However, we've had it for three days now. Hubby took a Jeep 4wd to the mail box and couldn't get up our driveway without a running start.

This morning everything has been dusted. It will probably be gone by afternoon.

Sure is pretty from inside.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Hi Folks,

We don't get a lot of snow here at 2400 feet. However, we've had it for three days now. Hubby took a Jeep 4wd to the mail box and couldn't get up our driveway without a running start.

This morning everything has been dusted. It will probably be gone by afternoon.

Sure is pretty from inside.

Regards,

Allie Mo

I checked weather.com yesterday about 5 p.m. Said that here at 1300 feet, Clearlake, we would have some rain. About 8 I checked it again, and there was a winter weather notice for snow above 2000 feet. It started snowing about 9 last night. I wish the weather folks would get it right.

Starting to melt though.

We get that in Colorado too, people put their jeep or SUV or pickup in 4 wheel drive and disengage their brains it seems like.

Yup. They think all they have to do is put it in 4W and drive 65 like they always do. :wacko:

Joe, at least yours will be gone in a day or so. Takes a might longer here. :lol:

Yup. They think all they have to do is put it in 4W and drive 65 like they always do. :wacko:

Joe, at least yours will be gone in a day or so. Takes a might longer here. :lol:

Oh, yeah. Most of it here on the flats is pretty much gone. But I spent the first 21 years of my life near Camp Pendleton and saw it snow once. Then a few years in the Central Valley a bit N. of Sacramento and saw it snow when we went to my girlfriends relatives up in gold country, then 25 years in Santa Rosa CA where I saw it snow twice. Now, in Lake Co, CA, I've seen it snow FIVE times in three years. FIVE! For this coastal boy, that is a lot. I think if I were to stack up all the snow I have seen fall in my life it wouldn't stack up to what you show in that photo, Bob.

Archived