SASS Wire Forum

WOW!

For years I've felt that the money generated by professional sports for both owners and players is just nuts and getting worse. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this bit of news I just saw in today's paper: Albert Pujols of the St. Louis Cardinals was reportedly offered an 8-year $200 million contract and an ownership interest in the team after retirement. He said "no" and negotiations have stopped.

What staggers my mind is that a 30-year old playing a game says he's worth more. On the other side is the Cardinals have the financial resources to pay that and still make a lot of money. There might even be another team out there willing to pay more, which would support Pujols position.

That's almost $481,000 per week, or just over $156,000 per game! I'm telling ya, it's bizzaroland out there.

WOW!

Well, professional sports venues are just like a TV set. Don't buy a ticket and see what happens.

Turn off the TV and see what happens. Somebody must be raking in the $$$$ or these things would go away.

I gave up on professional sports a long time ago.

YMMV

And to think that a doctor making $200,000 a year and a teacher making $50,000 a year are considered over-paid, and a kid just out of high school can bust his can for 40 hours per week doing menial work and bring home minimum wage. Seems our priorities are a tad off.

That my friend is why I pay no attention to professional sports.

Rich, spoiled, pampered thugs, most of whom couldn’t earn a living even driving a bus if they couldn’t play a child’s game. The biggest fools of course are the people who pay and watch them

Well, professional sports venues are just like a TV set. Don't buy a ticket and see what happens.

Turn off the TV and see what happens. Somebody must be raking in the $$$$ or these things would go away.

I gave up on professional sports a long time ago.

YMMV

Me too, Badger. My gag factor has been tripped again in recent years with the cost of basketball tickets to watch my alma mater's team, the Kansas Jayhawks. Triple digits & up for a ticket. Haven't bought one in eons. Tickets became such a hot commodity that five top athletic dept. employees were recently convicted of stealing tickets and selling them to brokers. They netted $2-3 million in the scam.

NCAA Division 1 sports have morphed into de facto professional sports franchises serving as a farm system for the NFL and NBA. And like professional sports, most of the money generated stays within the athletic departments while little is shared with the academic institution.

In any event, no one's holding a gun to my head and making me pay, so I choose not to. I just marvel at the insanity.

EDIT: Well said, Bob!! ;)

Pujols, or Utah Bob? :lol:

Until they get rid of the DH rule, I will not return calls from any American League team. :P

These guys are just entertainers, not all that different from Tom Hanks, Jim Carey, Paul McCartney and the like except that their careers are over early. They've got to make it while they can.

Now, if you want to argue that Albert Pujols, Tom Hanks, Jim Carey, and Paul McCartney are all overpaid, go right ahead because they are.

I agree that it's an insane amount of money but in Albert's defense...He and his wife do a LOT of charity work and :wub: give back an awful lot.

I'm just saying.. B)

These guys are just entertainers, not all that different from Tom Hanks, Jim Carey, Paul McCartney and the like except that their careers are over early. They've got to make it while they can.

Now, if you want to argue that Albert Pujols, Tom Hanks, Jim Carey, and Paul McCartney are all overpaid, go right ahead because they are.

Some folks in DC are also way overpaid. ;)

They also keep us entertained. :lol: :lol:

As amazing as all this is... it's even more so that the general populace seems to assign some sort of deep wisdom to such "entertainers."

How often do we see 'em quoted with "authority" on issues like animal rights, hunting, the evils of gun control, global warming and such? :mellow: And still MORE amazing is that people actually listen to these "experts!" :unsure:

(This applies mostly to the non-sports "entertainers.") :rolleyes:

Albert makes more in 4 innings of play than Joe Dimaggio made per year.

Albert makes more in 4 innings of play than Joe Dimaggio made per year.

Only true if you take an average of Joltin' Joe's earnings over his 13 years.

Albert makes 156K per game or 17K+ per inning. Joe's best contract was

$100,000, 70K plus bonuses. He broke $100K in earnings. Albert would

have to work almost 6 innings to make that much money.

Now if you throw in the hindsight of next winter and figure that Albert will not play

all nine innings for all 162 games, yeah, maybe 4 innings is right. :rolleyes:

Archived